Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which school sounds more appealing.

Hello! The latest n00b here with a newbie question. ;)

About a decade and a half ago I studied traditional Shotokan Karate for close to a year (didn't care for it much because all we did was Kata), and then afterward I did a year and a half of Koei-Kan Karate (loved it!), and took a semester of Judo at a Community College during that time. Hated the Judo experience because the teacher seemed to be a bit of a bully and an asshole towards me for some bizarre reason. There was at least one instance when the class was lined up and the teacher started walking from one end of the line to the other, looked at me with a bit of a scowl on his face and poked me in the chest for no apparent reason.

It must've rubbed off on his two assistant students because they seemed to be a little obnoxious towards me as well, which is why, even though it was an accident, I got a little satisfaction out of throwing one of them, accidentally releasing him mid-throw and watching him land with a big THUD on the mat. He immediately got up and ran around mat holding his back and jokingly said that I broke his back as everyone else looked on and laughed.

Anyway, I digress, my main point was that I've been away from the martial arts for a very long time and have been getting the itch to start it up again, specifically for fitness and self-defense. I did some research and found two places in the Manhattan area that interests me.

1. ANDERSON's MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY
    http://www.andersonsmartialarts.com/
    This place is very convenient location-wise and has a very nice curriculum that's comprised of Muay Thai, JDK Streetfighting, Panantukan (Filipino boxing), Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with and without Gi, Kali, Silat and Mixed Martial Arts. Has a great schedule with some open training hours. The person I spoke to over the phone this past Friday sounded very nice and invited me to watch and take part in a free class.

2. WORLD MARTIAL ARTS CENTER
    http://www.happykicks.com
    While this place seems a wee bit iffy from what I've been reading, I'm VERY interested in getting a taste of Hapkido. The curriculum at this school consists of: Hapkido, Kickboxing, and Judo. It's a little further away from my job than Anderson's Martial Arts Academy is, but like I said, I REALLY want to get a taste of Hapkido to see if it lives up to my expectations. I already have a couple books and DVDs on it.

When it comes down to it I think I'm going to go with Anderson's Martial Arts Academy but was wondering if it would be wise to cross-train at both places? Perhaps the wisest thing would be to commit to Anderson's for the remainder of my stay here and do the one month trial at World Martial Arts Center?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have to pay to have a trial class, it seems a little odd, you should be able to join in a class for either free or with at most a casual mat fee.
    Try out both and see which you like. Most normal schools wont care if you cross train at other gyms, but you'll be out of pocket for both, that means.

I'd go for andersons, unless your heart is totally set on hapkido. Ask lots of questions and dont hesitate to join in.

Also: Welcome to Bullshido, my little noob.
    Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're in NYC? NY Combat Sambo.
    http://www.nycombatsambo.com/

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia View Post
    If you have to pay to have a trial class, it seems a little odd, you should be able to join in a class for either free or with at most a casual mat fee.
    Try out both and see which you like. Most normal schools wont care if you cross train at other gyms, but you'll be out of pocket for both, that means.

I'd go for andersons, unless your heart is totally set on hapkido. Ask lots of questions and dont hesitate to join in.

Also: Welcome to Bullshido, my little noob.
    Thank you for the welcome and the response. Anderson's sounds very appealing to me and I'll be checking them out tomorrow while at work, but I think me joining them is pretty much a foregone conclusion... Just need to get their prices and see whether there are any contracts and whether I can avoid signing anything longer than a 3-to-6 month contract. I am not signing a one year contract with any school regardless of how good they are.

The Hapkido school charges $150 for a trial month and that $150 includes a uniform, unlimited classes, 4 VIP passes (whatever the hell that means), and a beginner's DVD.... After that they have a 6 month Orange belt program for $899..

The place seems to kind of fit the profile of a McDojang which is why the $150 Trial month sounds appealing to me. It's only for one month and I can expose myself to the Hapkido style and try to get my money's worth out of it during that month and if I don't care much for the experience I can get the hell out of dodge at the end of the month without getting locked in by a contract.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimeJoe View Post
    Thank you for the welcome and the response. Anderson's sounds very appealing to me and I'll be checking them out tomorrow while at work, but I think me joining them is pretty much a foregone conclusion... Just need to get their prices and see whether there are any contracts and whether I can avoid signing anything longer than a 3-to-6 month contract. I am not signing a one year contract with any school regardless of how good they are.
    Good way to be.

The Hapkido school charges $150 for a trial month and that $150 includes a uniform, unlimited classes, 4 VIP passes (whatever the hell that means), and a beginner's DVD.... After that they have a 6 month Orange belt program for $899..
    I hope you earn a lot of money. This sounds bloody ridiculous, i dont know what the going rate is in the US in the city, I guess...
    Isn't it unusual for schools not to offer free trial classes?

The place seems to kind of fit the profile of a McDojang which is why the $150 Trial month sounds appealing to me. It's only for one month and I can expose myself to the Hapkido style and try to get my money's worth out of it during that month and if I don't care much for the experience I can get the hell out of dodge at the end of the month without getting locked in by a contract.
    Maybe they produce good fighters and have solid training, but thier prices seem high, and putting a price on a belt like that is really unusual.
    Most decent places wont lock you into a contract. Go and check out Andersons and let us know.
    There might be other places in your area if you ask around. I, obviously, do not know NYC well...
    Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia View Post
    Good way to be.

I hope you earn a lot of money. This sounds bloody ridiculous, i dont know what the going rate is in the US in the city, I guess...
    Isn't it unusual for schools not to offer free trial classes?
    Yes, It does sound a bit unusual. I was reading an old thread on here pertaining to the Hapkido school in question and from what I read they didn't offer free trial classes from what the author of the post wrote. He said he paid $20 to try out a class and when he wanted to do a second tryout they basically told him he had to commit to the $150 Trial month.

Maybe they produce good fighters and have solid training, but thier prices seem high, and putting a price on a belt like that is really unusual.
    Most decent places wont lock you into a contract. Go and check out Andersons and let us know.
    There might be other places in your area if you ask around. I, obviously, do not know NYC well...
    If I can find the link to that old thread I'll post it (I think it was titled something to the effect of "Dave Herbert's Hapkido school") but from reading it, that Hapkido dojang sounded like a mishmash of decent to somewhat questionable training, and there were some almost nightmarish accounts in that thread. Accusations of the teacher sleeping with some of his students and letting those same unqualified students run some classes when they couldn't even perform a proper roundhouse kick.

I agree with you about putting a price on a belt. I used to have an issue with some of the Tae Kwon Do schools I saw back in Florida because it almost seemed as if you were guaranteed a new belt every month just for showing up. From what I read in that thread, that seemed to be the case with this Hapkido school as well. And their $899 orange belt program seems to guarantee you an orange belt in 6 months whether you can demonstrate knowledge of the material or not.. When I studied Shotokan and Koe-Kan karate, you remained at the white belt level for quite some time before seeing advancement. I liked that.

Anyway, I checked out Anderson's Tuesday evening. Their training facility is nice and spacious and from the looks of it, it looks like a place that will get you in shape pretty quickly. There were two types of classes going on at the same time, one was their phase one class which is basically their beginner class, and another was their weapons class. They have 3 different rates and their cheapest rate was equal to that of the Hapkido school with the higher rates coming in $25 increments. So the bottom line is, I have to choose one or the other, I can no longer fantasize about cross-training at the two schools because it would break the bank so to speak.

The lady I spoke to was nice and explained everything well. She said they don't do "contracts", they do "agreements" instead. Kind of the same thing to me since the Agreements are for a year and you agree to have the monthly fee automatically deducted from your account (bank or credit card) on a monthly basis. She said they could do a 6 month agreement with me so that was good.

From what I saw while watching one of their classes, the ONLY thing I would change is their 'optional' attire system. People were working out in their own shorts and t-shirts with white belts tied on. I guess I would've preferred seeing everyone in a Gi, lol.
    Last edited by AnimeJoe; 6/02/2010 3:15am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found the link to the thread about the Hapkido school I mentioned.
    Question about David Herbert 's Hapkido School in New York City? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Style
    Brazilian jiujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much was Andersons Martial Arts?

I also have been thinking about joining The World Martial Arts Center, because I always wanted to try Hapkido since it offers a little bit of everything. I figured it would take a lot of time to study something that does stand up, self defense, grappling (they have judo classes in there too) and weapons, so I would like to take it in an eclectic approach. Something really bugs me about this place though, his students do okinawan weapons, which isnt in hapkido. His students do move like hapkido, with the high kicks and aikido0like moves, but the main instructor moves like kenpo-jujitsu (granted its from his past styles, but it just stands out with the hapkido uniform he wears). Also, I cant find info on the org or school he was certified from (world pro hapkido federation), at least if i can find this I can take it a bit more serious.

I actually have been thinking about either World Martial Arts, GraciaGungfu institute (Jeet Kune Do from the Jerry Poteet org.), Danzan Jujitsu (judo mixed with jujitsu) or heading to jersey to train in Vigrioux Kenpo. And I rather do something along these styles/systems way of training, I have a long full contact kickboxing, mma and kyokushin background, I want something new.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by never tap View Post
    How much was Andersons Martial Arts?

I also have been thinking about joining The World Martial Arts Center, because I always wanted to try Hapkido since it offers a little bit of everything. I figured it would take a lot of time to study something that does stand up, self defense, grappling (they have judo classes in there too) and weapons, so I would like to take it in an eclectic approach. Something really bugs me about this place though, his students do okinawan weapons, which isnt in hapkido. His students do move like hapkido, with the high kicks and aikido0like moves, but the main instructor moves like kenpo-jujitsu (granted its from his past styles, but it just stands out with the hapkido uniform he wears). Also, I cant find info on the org or school he was certified from (world pro hapkido federation), at least if i can find this I can take it a bit more serious.

I actually have been thinking about either World Martial Arts, GraciaGungfu institute (Jeet Kune Do from the Jerry Poteet org.), Danzan Jujitsu (judo mixed with jujitsu) or heading to jersey to train in Vigrioux Kenpo. And I rather do something along these styles/systems way of training, I have a long full contact kickboxing, mma and kyokushin background, I want something new.
    Anderson's is $150 per month for their Phase 1 classes which basically gives you a little of everything they teach from their topic classes. $175 per month is for the Phase 1 classes plus a couple additional topic classes every week. So you can take the Phase 1 plus, let's say, a weapons class, a Jeet Kune Do streetfighting class, Muay Thai and boxing classes. $200 per month lets you take part in an unlimited number of classes.. So far it seems like a pretty cool place with a good amount of space to take advantage of. Plus they have their own boxing ring.

I'm going to check out the World Martial Arts Center next month and take part in the Trial month and see how things go... Between that and Anderson's, I'm going to be plunking down a lot of money every month for the next 6 months for the sake of physical fitness and self-defense, so hopefully it pays off in the end.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been a student at Anderson's Martial Arts academy for a couple days now and have been enjoying my time there. My only complaint is that there are so many good topic classes being taught on a daily basis that it's a shame I can't take part in all of them every day. So, I have to prioritize which is more important and fits in my schedule and then go to those classes. Fortunately, the class schedules are set up in a way that allows me to get a taste of all of the different classes the school offers throughout the week.

The basic Muay Thai stuff has been pretty good and the Jeet Kune Do Streetfighting class was Great and was a pretty grueling workout. Kind of struggled during the weapons portion of one of the classes, but all in all that was a good class too.

The instructors are great and patient with us. I was toying around with the idea of getting settled at Anderson's Martial Arts academy first before attempting to cross-train in Hapkido at the World Martial Arts Center, but I'm no longer sure if I'll do that since I'm having a good time at Anderson's.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last