NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    Yes, it's a shame my library doesn't subscribe to that one, but anything you need via Inter Library Loan I can usually get in a few days.

www.Worldcat.org is a great way to find who's got what where.
    Thank you. I will let you know what I find. It should be in about a week.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 1:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FTR my comminication with the USMC is quoted here.

That is not an excuse not to read the thread. In fact, the required reading to be fully up to speed is this thread, the original Noobietown thread, the YMAS cull thread, and the Karo No Gi Judo thread in AdGrap.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 2:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    @Tripp I finally understand the meaning of Shodan the the martial arts. A black belt in (say) Uechi Ryu means one is ready to fight in the black belt division at Judo Shiai! Only everyone declines to show up and fight.

All joking aside, elite wrestlers from any style: Shuai Jiao, freestyle, SAMBO, etc. would seem to be good candidates for Shodan validation. Is this correct Mark?
    To your second paragraph, no,not in my opinion. Shodan in Judo traditionally means that a person has absorbed the basics of Judo, and is ready to move on to more advanced study. The kanji character for "shodan" means/implies a pattern has been made.

This isn't the place to debate the meaning of shodan, of course. And it's not relevent to Steve Arce, because he actually knows Judo, among other things apparently.

Ben Reinhardt

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 2:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    To your second paragraph, no,not in my opinion. Shodan in Judo traditionally means that a person has absorbed the basics of Judo, and is ready to move on to more advanced study. The kanji character for "shodan" means/implies a pattern has been made.

This isn't the place to debate the meaning of shodan, of course. And it's not relevent to Steve Arce, because he actually knows Judo, among other things apparently.

Ben Reinhardt
    Your points are respectfully taken Ben. thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 3:25pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    You are "hard pressed to believe" it because you haven't read the thread. I posted the reply I received from the Marine Corps explaining that they do not have records going that far back (88-93).

Do your homework before you assume I am missing things, please. I have done mine, and I am not missing things.
    Ahem...

"The Stars and Stripes as well as the base and local papers would have information regarding any sporting event of that size and nature. I have a stack of them from soccer tournaments I played in for the Marines. In fact, any time that the lowly base soccer team competed, we were in the paper with names and units. All-Marine is a bigger deal and is going to get covered.

I enlisted in 1994 and EAS'd in 1998. I'm hard pressed to believe that just a few years prior to my enlistment that there would be no record of his appearance in a military competition.

His SRB should contain notes of the TAD orders he received to leave his assigned duty station to go compete. I did this about four or five times a year starting in 1995 and had orders cut everytime I went TAD from HHS PMO."

Clearly, Mr. Phillips, you are missing things.

First point: Context clues from the post I made indicate that I was referring to the Stars and Stripes or other base/local papers having documentation of a competition. Major Canedo, OPS Officer for the Marine Corps Sports and Athletics, likely does not operate the Stars and Stripes or have access to their archives. Seperate operations run by a different group of people. Nothing in those first two paragraphs has anything to do with his permanent service record. They're very likely not going to have mine. That said, the papers might and they may be a very good source of information if their archives go back that far.

Second point: The word, "should" was italicized, which indicates a preference for emphasis and should have drawn your attention to the sentence having meaning. For instance, his Service Record Book should have entries for TAD orders. Someone more in the know about the admin side of the house would be better able to answer that question. Additionally, a SRB does not equal a DD-214. His 214 wouldn't include that information. Mine doesn't.

I don't have a beef with you, Arce, Tripp, Cy, or anyone else involved in the investigation(s). I can say, however, that in my opinion, you've got something emotionally invested in both sides of the investigation. If you deem it necessary to jump down the throat of anyone who puts forth information gathering opportunities, by all means, go ahead. It does make you look like an ass and certainly less clear headed. I was clearly referring to newspapers. I was in the military and I know what a DD-214 looks like. I played sports in the Marine Corps and I know what the units do to send their Marines to competitions and I know what the papers are going out. Chill out, homie. Reread what I wrote and take a break.

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 4:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are correct. I am on edge. I thought you were referring to official record keeping, which is what my inquiry to the USMC covered.

My bad bro.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben, while I understand the spirit of your points, the problem is the Shiai.

Where would you put the highly advanced wrestler who wants to try his hand at Judo? Is it fair to the white/green belts to deal with him? Now, if we put him in the Black Belt divison, and he is defeating Black Belts, what rank should he be?

I think we have all those numbers after Shodan for a reason. The Shodan itself, in my never to be humble opinion, is simply your varsity letter that says you are playing with the big boys. Nidan and beyond... you are going to have to show me something.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 4:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you've got something emotionally invested in both sides of the investigation. If you deem it necessary to jump down the throat of anyone who puts forth information gathering opportunities, by all means, go ahead. It does make you look like an ass and certainly less clear headed.
    I apologize. this reaction is to days of trying to get people to understand certain things, and being unable to get them to actually go and look.

You were right. I thought you meant official records.

Sorry bro.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 5:39pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    <<<From readin on the other threads lately,my understanding is that to obtain Shodan in Judo,you need to compete (as a min) in the BB/Open division of any of the 3 main US Judo orgs??.>>>

Not what I said at all. First, the "concept" of the black belt in Judo is that it represents the division you are fighting in. That concept has changed and shifted over the years, mainly because other martial arts adopted the concept.

It is more correct to say, to get ANY rank in Judo you will have to have come connection with Shiai. Either as a player (most people do it this way,) or as a referee, Coach or Official in some way. EVERY promotion form is going to ask for your competition points, even in Judo Canada. Now, some coach's running schools, can LIE. They simply put down shiai points the student did not earn, then promote them. Eventually this is discovered and it is dealt with.

<<<Is it possible to bypass this??>>>

Assumes facts not in evidence. Where is your evidence he bypassed anything?

<<<I ask because I'm wondering how Mr Arce's history works here??>>>

He claims to have fought mainly out of Country. We have solid proof of his Coaching abilities in this country. As far as his Judo history, as fas as his skills are concerned, he as appeared in front of a USJA promotion board and been verified as a 4th degree black belt. That's the end of that discussion.

<<<Is he registered with any of the Judo orgs?? because that would surely help alot to solidify rank claims??>>>

Yes, as I have just explained.

<<<Also does he have to be registered at rank to compete??>>>

He needs to join one of the big three to fight. If he wants to fight in the black belt division, a registered black belt must "sign off" on his ability to fight in that division.

<<<As i understand it to obtain Shodan you need competition points,but to get those points you must be registered with the org holding the shiai??>>>

Not true at all. Ron Tripp (yes, cringe away some of you,) endered the midwest ladder shiai as a white belt, having NEVER fought in Judo before. Pat Burris signed off on him to fight in the Black Belt Division. Ron beat EVERY black belt he fought that day, and through the concept of batsugun, was promoted to Black Belt before he went up and claimed his gold medal.

<<<So if hes competed then he must have registered?? at rank?? or is that a separate thing??>>>>

Anywhere, anyone fights, you have to be registered with someone. The rank is only the division you are fighting in.

<<< Is Mr tripp able to bypass the competition requirement>>>

Could you explain where you get the idea I am "bypassing" anything?

<<< is overseas competition able to be counted or maybe training successful athletes used as a substitute?or USMC able to be counted?? Hoping for a little enlightenment here actually.>>>

Its why the validation process is in place. To take all of the information on a player and putting it together into a solid history so they may be ranked where they belong.

I hope you have been enlightened.

Mark Tripp
    Thankyou Mr Tripp.I think perhaps you may have misread or at least not read how i intended the questions.

I'm still unclear if you need to fight to get shodan. Yes,i know Mr Arce is all signed off on that,but i'm curious in general.

"Bypass" refers to not needing to fight in US Judo comps to get rank.I'm not sure what other word to use?

Taking the Ron Tripp example.He defeated all players in the BB div,so he is therefore a BB,which makes sense.Is this normal/happen often?

Not sure if you were referring to me when you mentioned "venom directed at you" but if so?? you're mistaken.I'm asking questions to clear up points so this sh*tstorm can be put to bed. Most ppl by now will have already formed opinions and are unlikely to change them.

I hope you understand many ppl here are not completely clear on US Judos workings so asking questions helps clear up the uninformed ideas/opinions

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 6:06pm

Business Class Supporting Member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kintanon, you are welcome to sign a full legal waiver of your injury and your death. Do it, then you can get on the mat, in the ring, in a cage, on the tatami, with me. Then this will be the last time that you speak like this. This is the last time that I will communicate with you, until you do it.
    Semper Fidelis.
    Mens Sana In Corpore Sano.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.

-
    --
    ---
    "THE HUNTER"