Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 8:37am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Satoshi Ishii's crazy disqualification has been overturned

Written by Zeus Sunday, 06 June 2010 22:20 1diggdigg

Everyone remembers how Satoshi Ishii was a lock to beat Yoshida back in Dynamite 2009. That notion came to an abrupt halt when the entire MMA world realized that the bout wasn't just 1992 vs. 2004 Olympic Judo gold medalist but a dude that had an MMA record of 9-7-1 (with wins over Mark Hunt, Royce Gracie, Don Frye) versus a guy who was 0-0. Despite being the 'underdog', Yoshida grabbed the unanimous decision over Satoshi Ishii and then a few months later, created his own MMA organization just to host his own retirement match (a fight in which he lost to his own former pupil, Kazuhiro Nakamura).
    Satoshi didn't get the win in his first MMA bout, but he did win his second fight...sort of. Back in March, Satoshii Ishii grabbed his first win over Sasae Paogofie at X-1 in Hawaii. Unfortunately, for reasons that are entirely too complicated for any of us to discern, the bout was changed from 'professional' to 'exhibition' at the last minute. That meant even though Ishii grabbed his first win in MMA, dude was still 0-1 in MMA. What an absolute statistical letdown.
    On May 15th, Ishii finally grabbed his first professional win when he armbared Tafa Misipati at 2:42 into the first round in Auckland, New Zealand (a country I nearly became a citizen of if it weren't for my blatant lack of respect for the New Zealand immigration department). This past Friday, Satoshi Ishii fought Myles Tynanes at X-1 and refused to stop punching his opponent despite the referee jumping in the middle of the beating. No video has been released yet, but I imagined it to be somewhat like the match between Sokoudjou and Jan Norte in the first round of the Super Hulk tournament last year. I also imagine Satoshi Ishii following in Sokoudjou's footsteps and calling himself a 'douchebag' solely because it would sound amazing with a Japanese accent. As of today, the X-1 promoters have decided to overturn their initial decision of disqualifying Satoshi Ishii and have reverted it to a 'No Contest' due to the referee not acting in a timely manner when the bell rung which denoted the end of the first round. Apparently, Satoshi Ishii KOd Myles Tynanes seconds before the bell which is just more evidence that Judo guys can develop knock-out power in just a few months into their MMA career. [Source]

http://www.middleeasy.com/

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 10:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure what makes so many judoka stick to striking once they get in the cage/ring, but he is hardly the only judoka who has this habit.
    I think it's because they spend 75% of their time training their standup to get it up to snuff in a rush, and what you've been doing for the last 3 mos. in training will come out in your fighting. I don't think it's just Judoka who do it, I think lots of guys with wrestling backgrounds turn into 1-dimensional boxers all the time in mma.

On the flip side, it IS true that people give a lot of faith to Judo being awesome even though it's far from common in the cage. It's also strange to hear arguments like, "Well, it was a Judo move even if it wasn't a Judoka doing it" because that's pretty close to the classic "Even though this is video of 2 boxers this is just how we do it in WC".

Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    And he doesnt actually use Judo in his fights
    YouTube- K1 Finals 2006 Manhoef vs. Akiyama

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 10:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I guess I was wrong... according to that article Kambei Shimada posted, this was Ishii's fourth fight (his second exhibition). I are dumb!

('._.)

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 11:26am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maofas my words werent meant to be taken literally, I just meant that his style is 90% striking and about 10% Judo/grappling.

But the fact that you had to dig up a 4 year old fight to find a good example kinda proves my point. And he was fighting one of the best strikers to ever fight in MMA, so its a bit extreme example.

He could have beaten Belcher in a more dominating fashion had he gone for more takedowns IMO. He was 3/3 in takedowns in that fight and dominated the second round on the ground. But instead of taking Belcher down in the third round he choose to stand up with him, which made the fight a razor thin split decision.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 12:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    maofas my words werent meant to be taken literally, I just meant that his style is 90% striking and about 10% Judo/grappling.
    Do you have the ability to look beyond his last fight or perhaps use the fight finder? He stands up a lot, but he has 7 submissions against only 5(T)KOs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 10:35pm

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems judo has the same presence in MMA the way Machida's karate is present in his brand of MMA.

Posted On:
    6/08/2010 3:32am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the flip side, it IS true that people give a lot of faith to Judo being awesome even though it's far from common in the cage. It's also strange to hear arguments like, "Well, it was a Judo move even if it wasn't a Judoka doing it" because that's pretty close to the classic "Even though this is video of 2 boxers this is just how we do it in WC".
    Judo has been around for over 120 years with a very well documented and controlled list of techniques and official waza, along with pretty strong quality control (all things that WC definitely doesn't have). As the human body is only able to function in so many ways, you are bound to see cross over technique in any style. However when you see textbook examples of uchi mata and tai otoshi, techniques that are VERY common in judo (and thus specializations) and not so in wrestling, at the very least to label it a judo style takedown is not unfair IMO. On the other hand when you see WC guys throwing classic jabs and hooks and arguing that it is a WC technique, the situation reverses as those are mostly seen clearly in other styles (mostly boxing and styles using punching influenced by boxing) and not in the majority of WC .

Since those common (to judo) techniques have effectively worked as take downs the times they are actually tried, it would seem logical that someone who specialize in them (a judoka) would be able to do well in stand up grappling. However as discussed before it seems that the last thing most judoka want to do in the cage is what they have been training for most of their lives: grappling.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2010 8:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. It's really frustrating.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12