Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 11:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quick firearm question

So, my grandfather recently passed (God rest his soul).
    My grandmother told me he wanted me to have his rifles (just two .22s) and one of his old hunting shotguns (an over-under, I'm pretty sure it was a 16 gauge).
    The thing is, I don't have any sort of licenses (besides my...driver's one?). Has anyone been in this situation before? What am I supposed to do?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 2:13am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    So, my grandfather recently passed (God rest his soul).
    My grandmother told me he wanted me to have his rifles (just two .22s) and one of his old hunting shotguns (an over-under, I'm pretty sure it was a 16 gauge).
    The thing is, I don't have any sort of licenses (besides my...driver's one?). Has anyone been in this situation before? What am I supposed to do?
    If you are in NJ, this is the applicable law:

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.13 Firearms passing to heirs or legatees
    (a) Notwithstanding the provisions of this subchapter concerning the transfer, receipt or acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to their heir or
    legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. A person so acquiring ownership may retain the firearm if he or she meets the requirements of N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.5 and 1.6.
    (b) If an heir or legatee is not qualified to acquire a firearm, he or she may retain ownership of the firearm for the purpose of sale for a period of 180 days, which period may be extended by the chief of police or the Superintendent. During such period the firearm must be placed in the custody of the chief of police or Superintendent.
    ...as long as you are qualified to own a firearm, you do not have to do anything.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 2:18am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on the law of your state. This site http://www.njguns.com/permit.htm seems to direct you to your local law enforcement agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 2:47am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell..if they are long guns most states don't even require a license. You can buy a long gun through the want adds around here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 8:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One other issue -- I lived in NJ when they passed the state assault weapons ban, One provision of that law bans weapons that have a "fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds." My little .22 rifle with the 17 round tube magazine became an assault weapon, and was illegal to keep. If either of your grandfather's .22's are of that type, they are illegal and it is a felony to keep them.

You also can't buy handgun ammunition in NJ unless you have a firearms
    purchaser identification card. Most shops won't sell .22 without the card, because it can be used in handguns.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 10:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about your grandfather.

My advice would be to move the **** out of New Jersey. A .22 with a tube magazine is an assault rifle? Jesus Christ.

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joecos View Post
    My little .22 rifle with the 17 round tube magazine became an assault weapon, and was illegal to keep.
    You sure about that?

Here in Cali, the "assault weapons" ban specifies "center fire" ammunition as one of the requisits for being considered an "assault rifle" by law.

Not sure if NJ is the same, but that little clause makes .22lr a-ok as it's old school rimfire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    You sure about that?

Here in Cali, the "assault weapons" ban specifies "center fire" ammunition as one of the requisits for being considered an "assault rifle" by law.

Not sure if NJ is the same, but that little clause makes .22lr a-ok as it's old school rimfire.

Excerpt from NJ law:

The legislation also prohibits any firearms which are substantially identical to any of the above firearms; any semiautomatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a conspicuous pistol grip, or a folding stock; a semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds. Any magazine with a capacity greater than fifteen rounds is prohibited, even if there is no semi-automatic firearm to accompany the magazine.

There is nowhere any language that specifies center-fire, as a matter of fact, when they were debating the bill one of the opponents submitted a video of a .22 with a greater than 15 round capacity as an example of just how poorly the term assault rifle was defined.

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joecos View Post
    Excerpt from NJ law:

There is nowhere any language that specifies center-fire
    Bummer.

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 8:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the state senators that voted for that law and owned one of those .22 gallery guns was surprised that he made himself a criminal. Idiots.