Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 10:00pm

Style: Southern Kung Fu, BJJ, AK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All great advice that comes with years of practice and experience. Thanks all

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2010 5:03pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kombat Instruments ugly sticks kept me swinging for 2 years. bloodsport.com
    www.eskrimakaliarnis.com quality and cheap as hell if you buy enough to get wholesale rates.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 5:59pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got another pair of KIL sticks and I figure they worth reviving this thread for.

I've been mixing in some La Canne material into my single-stick but I found that my 2in diameter sticks were too hefty for the task, so I splurged on a pair of 5/8in diameter La Canne sticks from KIL and I am very happy with them. It seems like KIL might have actually improved the original La Canne design by going with this grade of rattan instead of the traditionally used hardwood, as I no longer have to worry about my stick exploding into a million splinters on my sparring-fellow's face if I hit too hard.

Keep up the good craftsmanship, Pappydog!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rattan excels at being able to withstand abuse at smaller diameters than most wood.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 10:20pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems so. It also seems that Malacca, a type of rattan, is historically accurate to be used in recreating La Canne Vigny and Bartitsu, which is an additional bonus. I'll be sure to bring them with me to SD when I go down there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 8:13am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4 bucks sound just about right. Transmuting that to php it would be around 200php. Which is a bit more expensive than kali sticks here in the Philippines, probably due to transportation and warehousing though.

I've never bought a kali stick for Kali/Escrima but rather for hitting the mid-section during crunches. So take my post with a grain of salt.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 3:49pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Changing the subject slightly, I'm looking into some other (non-rattan) material for making some kali sticks.

Has anyone ever used black palm? It has the same fibrous construction as rattan, but supposedly denser/heavier. If I make some shortish ones (24") I think I could make them lighter and thinner with the same or greater durability as rattan. I think it's the same wood that KIL sells for $60 a pair.. They call it "bahi".

Here's the lumber picture from woodcraft.com:

Feedback would be appreciated.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear bahi is one of the strongest woods in the Philippines. The ones I learned about in FMA are bahi, makuno and kamagong. A while back I bought a pair of kamagong sticks, and I like them for practicing in the air. They've got a good, solid feel, and are often thought of more as weapons than the rattan ones. I'm kinda curious about how kamagong actually stands up to pressure. I've heard its hardness actually makes it more brittle, so more likely to break in a fray of people and weapons. Not really sure though, and I like my kamagong sticks, so I don't really want to subject them to hard testing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 1:39am

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kamagong sticks can shatter with hard weapon on weapon contact. I have a pair that I use just for solo workouts. And kamagong is sensitive to heat and humidity, making it warp and split. Kamagong trees are also listed as a protected species here.

IMHO bahi is better. It's readily available. It will crumble rather than shatter like kamagong. Bahi and kamagong have traditionally been used for applications that require sturdy wood. Old houses here are often bought by salvaging companies that strip them for the hardwood.

Staircase steps, posts, pillars and door and cabinet handles are some of the common uses for these hardwoods, aside from deadly impact weapons of course.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 11:18am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean "crumble"? Like fall apart, or chip off pieces, or splinter like rattan?
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast