Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 11:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every time i read the term "shin splints" i facepalm and feel compelled to post, "Get a better diagnosis."

My old sports medicine handbook from 1988(!!) even calls that term outdated and inaccurate.

People call everything from medial tibial pain, DOMS, stress fractures, tendinitis, periostitis to anterior compartment syndrome "shin splints.."
    These are all very different conditions.

If according to your DC you are overpronating due to "shin splints," have him/her define the term before you continue.

is badder than you

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 12:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    If according to your DC you are overpronating due to "shin splints,"
    ... then there's something very wrong with either you or him. If there's causality, I'd expect it to be the other way around.

My cure for blisters is to duct-tape the vulnerable area, preferably before they start to form. Sticky on the skin side + slippery on the outside = less friction. Only problem is if the tape comes loose.

The plastic molded orthotics are all right. Apparently mine have some sort of adjustment done to them where they're "corrected" to be level in terms of (in airplane terms) roll, whereas they should actually be six degrees further out. Wish I remembered what that was called.

For shin splints, the best cure is prevention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 12:55pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think he meant that the shin splints were due to the overpronation. I think it was that I had mild shin splints as well. I'll go and get some spenco insoles and thicker socks before the next time I play. I might also wear my ankle braces that I use for kickboxing under them and consider getting knee braces. I didn't really care about blisters and caluses on my feet, and my treatment before was to cut the blisters off later, or occasionally use moleskin if it was really sensitive. I mentioned them more because my DC told me that their location indicated pronation, eg that my foot was bearing my weight on the inside edge rather than directly overtop.

When I Get Back

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Awards:
    BBOC - Big Bully on Campus

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 1:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    I mentioned them more because my DC told me that their location indicated pronation, eg that my foot was bearing my weight on the inside edge rather than directly overtop.
    Or he is underestimating the sheer volume of side-to-side rapid cutting movement during a normal hour and half match.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 10:57pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    airplane terms) roll, whereas they should actually be six degrees further out. Wish I remembered what that was called.

For shin splints, the best cure is prevention.
    Isn't that varus/valgus depending on which way you are angling? Varus for inward, valgus for outward?

John

is badder than you

Achievements:

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 11:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan View Post
    Isn't that varus/valgus depending on which way you are angling? Varus for inward, valgus for outward?

John
    Not sure, but the adjustment of the orthotic itself has a name. I may have to pay to get my old pair fixed (on top of paying to get a new pair made)... so it'd be a good thing to ask about when getting a new pair made.

If I could remember what they call it so y'all could know what to ask about, that is. Dammit.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    6/08/2010 10:45pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I may try out some of the information in blogs from chi running. Not going to pay for the materials, and I doubt they cover lateral movement and running for sports (other than running) in their program, but I doubt it can hurt. They are in the second video I posted ad the beginning of my thread. They are based on applying body mechanics of tai chi to running. Although there is some contention to their technique, in wikipedia there is a link to a university study that showed they decreased recovery time for runners trying to get back into the sport... or something like that.

Anyway, at a recent soccer match I wrapped my feet and ankles with my boxing hand wraps. Then I put my ankle brace over that, and then a nice thick sock. I had much less pain after that than usual.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 6:48am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have flat feet (so flat my doctor said it was the worst case she'd ever seen), and because of that I Medial Tibial stress syndrome, tight calves, dodgy knee, the bloody works. My suggestion to you would be to get some orthotics as you suggested when you can afford them; PROPER orthotics that are actually fitted for your shoes. They are uncomfortable to begin with, but eventually you get used to them and they work incredibly well.

Also do plenty of stretching before and after exercise. Calves and Hamstrings in particular, stretching 2-4 times for 20-30 seconds for each leg. Its a long and tedious 5 minutes but it will really help out.

Finally, get some tiger balm. It doesn't do much in the way of healing far as I know, but it is a godsend on days when the pain is really bad.

Thats my two cents, I hope you get better soon man. Shin splints are a pain in the ass.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 12:52pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanna know what you guys are all doing to have these problems. I ran x-country for close to 9 years on basically flat feet, and the only problem I had was a bout of ITBS my soph year in college. No orthotics, nothing.

Buy good shoes, swap them out on a regular basis, and don't go from zero to 50 miles in a week. :p

John

is badder than you

Achievements:

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 1:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan View Post
    I wanna know what you guys are all doing to have these problems.
    Squats.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast