Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2010 11:23am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Overpronation

Here's my story. I have been told in the past by running shoe store professionals that I'm an over-pronator. That will be relevant in a second. In high school I did a lot of running and cross country skiing without any problems. I have been moderately active in the ~11 years since high school.

Recently I started playing soccer on fake turf with my friends on weekends. I wear soccer shoes for this. I also do muay thai. During the last few games my legs took quite a beating. I've since bought shin pads and been careful to avoid people who slide when playing. Since one game where someone landed on my right tibia pushing my knee and ankle inward, I have had pain that I blamed on that. When it subsided I went to another game and found both my knees and ankles feel like they have a lot of soreness from impact, as well as my calves. This soreness feels like it is more in the tendon than the ligament.

I have also a lot of caluses on the inside of my feet especially on the edge of my big toe. These formed blisters when playing soccer that broke, and I cut off the dead skin with scissors for some relief. Anyway, the other day my legs were hurting so bad I went to my chiropractor for some treatment. He said I had shin splints and he looked at my feet and my gait and said that I'm likely over-pronating. His treatment of my legs worked some for temporary relief, but he advised getting orthotic insoles to correct, support, and prevent damage.

Right now I can't afford orthotics, but I saw some videos on over-pronation such as these:
    YouTube- Pronation Training Exercises

YouTube- Danny Dreyer on Pronating when Running

I was wondering if exercises alone can be used to treat and reverse over-pronation.

As a side note I think my pronation is affecting my balance in muai thai making it difficult to perform land properly from kicks and knees.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2010 11:33am

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd get a second opinion on the necessity for orthotics, especially if you ran quite a bit with no problems earlier.

Re: The shin splints - Do you actually have the pain in the front of the leg? Or other places? I'd attribute most of your pain to the pounding on the (barely) covered concrete that passes for most indoor soccer arenas.

John

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2010 11:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if I decide to pursue orthotics, I'll go to a podiatrist and his/her opinion will be second. My mother has warned me that our family chiropractor loves to sell orthotics, but the insurance companies only cover the kind that are made from a mould (rather than a model based on a cushion with electrodes that the chiropractor uses). The people at the shoe store who sold me my running shoes told me I'm a pronator too, but they aren't exactly professionals.

As far as shin splints, I had a bit of pain on the front of my leg too, but not as much. I've been playing soccer on a field. The field is made with fake grass, but do I think it would be better to play on real grass.

Anyway, I was thinking more about whether this problem could be corrected with daily balance exercises such as balancing on one foot, or trying to strengthen the muscles on the inner thigh and outer part of the ankle.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/04/2010 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would get a second opinion. While exercise may help in correcting the issue, there is only so much it can do if you've had this problem for years.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/04/2010 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    I was wondering if exercises alone can be used to treat and reverse over-pronation.
    No.

I may be wrong, and if I am, please let me know because I have perfectly flat feet and it fucking sucks.

But as far as I know, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2010 6:41pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three things: I believe that The Russ is on the money about NOT being able to correct over-pronation with exercise. I have worked with a few clients that were over-pronators and nothing we have tried worked to correct it.

Yes, get a second opinon from a Doctor before you purchase orthotics. Most things can be helped by getting the proper shoe for your foot.

Shin splints-they suck and are very bothersome to say the least. My Wife has them terribly and they cause her all kinds of problems when she is training and competing in triathlons. What helps= http://www.zensah.com/compression-leg-sleeves.html I know, they look horrible, but they take the painout of My Wife's shins and they have helped several of my clients that are long distance runners. I know one guy who uses them when heis in season for his recurring stress fractures andthey help him tons(no, he is not a client).

Just my $0.02 worth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 1:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys. Searcher it sounds like your a personal trainer or physio therapist. What are you exactly? I guess the russ is probably right. I was hoping he would pop up with something. Generally the searches I did on the internet turned up people giving advice without sourcing or being an expert. I saw claims that yoga and stuff like that help, but nothing scientific. I might try some stuff anyway. It is looking like I might consider a second opinion on orthotics once I can afford for them to be an option.

A friend of mine was telling me today that its also likely that I have barely had any impact all winter, then I suddenly go playing soccer, and hard, for as long as I have the cardio, which is a lot compared to a couple years ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 9:10am

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine was telling me today that its also likely that I have barely had any impact all winter, then I suddenly go playing soccer, and hard, for as long as I have the cardio, which is a lot compared to a couple years ago.
    Yeah, that can have a pretty big effect as well. Tendonitis and shin splints are overuse injuries, and a sudden rampup can cause that.

How old/broken down are your shoes? That's another place people often overlook.

John

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 10:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my soccer shoes are this year, my daily use / fashionable shoes are a few years old now.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 10:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recently I started playing soccer on fake turf with my friends on weekends. I wear soccer shoes for this. I also do muay thai. During the last few games my legs took quite a beating. I've since bought shin pads and been careful to avoid people who slide when playing. Since one game where someone landed on my right tibia pushing my knee and ankle inward, I have had pain that I blamed on that. When it subsided I went to another game and found both my knees and ankles feel like they have a lot of soreness from impact, as well as my calves. This soreness feels like it is more in the tendon than the ligament.

I have also a lot of caluses on the inside of my feet especially on the edge of my big toe. These formed blisters when playing soccer that broke, and I cut off the dead skin with scissors for some relief. Anyway, the other day my legs were hurting so bad I went to my chiropractor for some treatment. He said I had shin splints and he looked at my feet and my gait and said that I'm likely over-pronating. His treatment of my legs worked some for temporary relief, but he advised getting orthotic insoles to correct, support, and prevent damage.
    Playing indoor is rough and they have special shoes for it, like Sambas. Generally when I have played here is what I will do:

I grease up my feet and toes with vaseline and wear two pairs of socks. I grease my feet, put on one pair of socks, wrap the **** out of my feet on top of the first pair of socks then put my regulation stockings over the top of it. It has helped me cut down on blisters and might help you too. If you don't wrap the feet tight enough, you might end up with blisters. You can get some cheap insoles for your soccer boots that provide a little more cushioning.

Before I pull up my stockings, I slather my calves and shins with tiger balm, pull up the first set of socks, tape the **** out of my shins and calves and then put on my shin guards and then pull up my regulation stockings.

You will also need to secure your knees playing on indoor turf. The side to side movements are going to be rough on your knees and the turf doesn't give as easily as grass does. Make sure before you do your taping regimen, you stretch out completely and thoroughly.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast