Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    6/04/2010 12:14am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hong Kong, 2005: Sha Po Lang (Kill Zone)

Sha Po Lang
    SPL or “Kill Zone”
    Hong Kong, 2005
    Genre: Crime Drama
    93 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478024/

Donnie Yen stars in this police thriller as a new inspector on the force, taking over a retiring officer’s squad. However, not all is as it seems, as he watches the case against the city’s biggest mob boss start to fall apart.

SPL, or “Kill Zone” in America, is hands down one of my favorite films of all time. Full of underhand deals and mystery, Wilson Yip directs a masterpiece of drama and intrigue. Like a Greek tragedy, the cast of characters all have their own flaws, all of which contribute to their own ends. In addition to Donnie Yen, SPL boasts an all-star cast, including Hong Kong veterans Simon Yam and Sammo Hung, and rising action star Jacky Wu Jing.

Not a typical kung fu movie by any stretch, Yen directs a fantastic series of action sequences throughout the film. The first two acts of the film are without of any real fight scenes, but instead use gun fights and chase sequences. Still, by the end of the film, the final fights are well worth the wait. Exhibiting absolutely stunning choreography in his fights against Wu Jing and Sammo Hung, Yen demonstrates his multiple martial arts influences, drawing from non-traditional movie styles like Judo, Wrestling, and BJJ. Yen even admits on the DVD that a great deal of the choreography was inspired by the UFC.

Action aside, the film is a deep and engaging exploration of the themes of fatherhood and how the lives on both sides of the law affect it. From endearment and adoration to estrangement and indifference, SPL runs the gamut of father-child relationships. Like any good tragedy, the flaws of the human condition are explored and exposed for what they are. The film is absolutely amazing in this regard, full of strong symbolism and powerful performances by the cast. Really, the action is secondary to the merits of the film itself, an added bonus to an already gorgeous piece of cinema.

There are a hundred reasons to go track down this movie, and I can’t think of one why you shouldn’t. With great work in both the acting and the action, a moving story, and beautiful photography, SPL needs to be staple viewing material for any fight film fan. Even five years and stacks of other movies later, I can still say that this is one of the best in the genre and best in the industry. If you can find a copy of SPL at your local video store, it is absolutely imperative that you pick this up and give it a viewing.

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 10:08pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was an awesome movie for sure, but why did it take so long to get a review of it up?

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have this movie, it's good. The action is good and gritty and it's pretty decently written.

The only issue I have with it is that some of the scenes feel pretty forced, especially near the end.
    Also, if you have issues with blue tints, beware, most of the film is shot in it for mood effects.
    But otherwise, if you like flaily action movies (and blood) or Donny Yen (or Wu Jing) you'll enjoy it.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 1:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    It was an awesome movie for sure, but why did it take so long to get a review of it up?
    i don't review things as they come out, mostly just whatever i feel like doing any given week. yesterday was my birthday, so i thought i'd pop it in because it's my favorite.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 1:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Happy Birthday!!!

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 12:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: RBSD, Muay Thai,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was a pretty good movie. Donny Yen is the man and should go Hollywood. The ending storyline and action was outstanding. I did not expect it to end the way it did. I not familiar with Wilson Yip, but I'll be looking for more of his movies. If you're into this genre of movies and haven't seen Killzone you'll enjoy it.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 9:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The HK blu-ray version is out now and Dragon Dynasty is set to release the US blu-ray version this summer with Alliance doing the deed in Canada.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 4:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there was ever a reason to get a fight film on Blu-Ray, it would be this one. The version I bought was already in stunning HD, this movie is absolutely beautifully shot.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 5:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the Dragon Dynasty version (Kill Zone) and watched it on an upconverting player and was impressed with the clarity, specifically the Yen/Wu Jing parking garage fight.

Hopefully Dynasty releases a decent blu-ray version, if not, I'll drop the $40 and pick up the HK import.

Good review and do either Fatal Contact or Invisible Target next.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 5:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be doing SPL's spiritual sequel next, *sigh* Flashpoint.

Fatal Contact and Invisible Target are on the list, though. I'm trying to be more regular about these, now that I've got time off over the summer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast