Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 2:50pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started counting calories two weeks ago and have already lost 7lbs using www.fitday.com.

It sounds like you live in a frat house, though, so don't tell your buddies you're counting calories or they'll put rufies in your vodka tonic.

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 2:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Try to stop drinking beer for a week.
    Then drink beer for a weekend and try two weeks.
    You may be shocked to discover how many extra calories you are drinking.
    NEVER!!!!! j/k

I've actually already started cutting back since last month. I'm more of a hard liquor man myself, but I've scaled it back to one or two times a week. Was drinking every day for a while. (though not to excess more than once or twice a week.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 3:06pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Thanks man!

I'm planning on sticking with the swimming, as it's fun and I feel like it's much easier on my joints than exercising out of water. That's a big issue right now as I'm overweight enough to really feel it killing me knees if I do anything strenuous. I think that was the big wake up call right there. Getting big enough that it was starting to impair me.
    Good deal. A lot of people aren't very good swimmers so I hesitate to suggest it as a good exercise, but it's incredible. It's low impact, full body and great exercise (I swam competitively for a long, long time.)

I did misspeak a bit in my original post, there aren't really differences in calories. There are differences in calorie sources.

John

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 3:16pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my GOD you are in such deeply deep trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan View Post
    1. Don't do that. Even with decent warmup, just running fartleks/wind sprints is a good way to pull a hamstring if you're not in shape. And running sprints will train you to run sprints. Won't do a thing for endurance.

3. How is a fat calorie different from any other calorie (In the body as opposed to in food)? And ALL exercise uses ATP and glucose. It's the length and intensity that determines where it gets replenished from.

4. How does stretching help eliminate fat/alchol? I agree on a good stretching routine, I'm just interested in your reasoning.
    1.) Interval training is the best method, hands down, for developing endurance. It has to do with vasodilation, strengthening of myocardial tissue, and systemic binary fission of mitochondria. Assuming the OP knows how to warm up and keep hydrated, this will work faster for him than any other regimen.

Unlike moderate intensity exercise, high intensity interval training burns additional calories for several hours after cessation of activity, the majority of which again come from fat. It follows that this condition favors alteration of body composition.

3.) It has to do with body composition and secondary effects from aerobic exercise. My primary concern is the depletion of blood glucose brought about by moderate intensity aerobics as you suggested. Depletion of glucose invariably triggers binge eating, and long-term cardio at a moderate intensity activates muscle depleting catabolic pathways in the body. Both are counterproductive in terms of altering body composition.

Though all exercise does ultimately burn ATP, ADP, glucose and fats, the ratios are altered given the length and intensity of exercise. Fats are the slowest pathway to be utilized, and are therefore favored during low-intensity activity. Unlike moderate or high intensity exercise, low intensity activity is unlikely to produce injuries and requires no recovery period.

Those bodybuilders who get all freaky shredded? They do it walking on a treadmill for 1/2 hour per day - for the reasons described above.

4.) The stretches are to improve posture and ameliorate muscle imbalances caused by a sedentary lifestyle, specifically sitting all day. It prevents injury and at the outset of a workout routine, is a surprisingly quick way to make someone look less slouchy and chubby.

Now, as for streches, this one is the one:

I strongly advise you eliminate the chair to the rear - you do not need it. Do not rest your hands on your knee, nor allow your knee to go forward of your ankle.

Basically kneel, as in "Will you marry me," then SLOWLY slide your rear foot STRAIGHT back until you feel a stretch where your front pockets are on your Levi's. The front chair may help with stability, or you may not need it.

If you can't feel a stretch in that position, it's likely because of the position of your rear foot. point your heel AWAY from your asshole, (regardless of which foot it is,) again until you feel the hip flexor stretching.

Number two is the prone cobra. Not much explanation needed here. It will undo your computer geek slouch and stretch your abs.

GENTLY do both of these as many times per day as you can. Relax as you do them - your should feel more chilled out afterward. Hell, you can even do them while at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 3:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    Now, as for streches, this one is the one:

I strongly advise you eliminate the chair to the rear - you do not need it. Do not rest your hands on your knee, nor allow your knee to go forward of your ankle.

Basically kneel, as in "Will you marry me," then SLOWLY slide your rear foot STRAIGHT back until you feel a stretch where your front pockets are on your Levi's. The front chair may help with stability, or you may not need it.

If you can't feel a stretch in that position, it's likely because of the position of your rear foot. point your heel AWAY from your asshole, (regardless of which foot it is,) again until you feel the hip flexor stretching.

Number two is the prone cobra. Not much explanation needed here. It will undo your computer geek slouch and stretch your abs.

GENTLY do both of these as many times per day as you can. Relax as you do them - your should feel more chilled out afterward. Hell, you can even do them while at work.
    Awesome! My slouch is bad right now. Thanks man!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 3:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interval training is the best method, hands down, for developing endurance.
    Sure, but you told him to do sprinting, and Aodhan's right about the risks involved there (hamstring pulls). He should be doing his HIIT on an exercise bike, not his feet.

Though all exercise does ultimately burn ATP, ADP, glucose and fats, the ratios are altered given the length and intensity of exercise. Fats are the slowest pathway to be utilized, and are therefore favored during low-intensity activity.
    They're only "favoured" in relative terms. In absolute terms, you're going to get increased metabolism across all systems at higher intensities. See this and Chapter 3 of Wolinsky's "Sports Nutrition".

Unlike moderate or high intensity exercise, low intensity activity is unlikely to produce injuries
    Injury scales with duration.

Those bodybuilders who get all freaky shredded? They do it walking on a treadmill for 1/2 hour per day - for the reasons described above.
    You're misattributing cause and effect. The cause of their weight loss is primarily their use of endocrinological manipulation, stimulants and diet. The slogging away on treadmills is a result of this and the attendant glycogen depletion (for contest prep).
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 3:44pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously temporarily stop drinking completely. You really can't comprehend how much extra calories you get that way. Not only will you lose a couple pounds when you start drinking again it will take less to get your buzz on.

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 4:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    It would explain the bulge OMG!

But you're right, booze is very bad, and subtle too.

And tasty, very fucking tasty.
    Beer was very hard for me to say goodbye too back when I first decided to start taking better care of myself.

Now if I drink more than one I instantly feel bloated and sluggish. A real shame.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 4:53pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my GOD you are in such deeply deep trouble!
    Ok, I'm always willing to learn.

1.) Interval training is the best method, hands down, for developing endurance. It has to do with vasodilation, strengthening of myocardial tissue, and systemic binary fission of mitochondria. Assuming the OP knows how to warm up and keep hydrated, this will work faster for him than any other regimen.
    I guess the question is what kind of endurance? Are you advocating 100m sprint, 100m walk, 100m sprint etc etc. on no rest intervals? Or with rest intervals? I don't remember enough of my exer phys to comment on the mitochondrial adaptations. I do question the endurance portion, as I don't see too many 5k and up runners primarily running sprints to train their endurance. Endurance is a slow twitch province, and sprints are a fast twitch province.

Unlike moderate intensity exercise, high intensity interval training burns additional calories for several hours after cessation of activity, the majority of which again come from fat. It follows that this condition favors alteration of body composition.
    Again, this may be dated information, but I was under the impression that all exercise produces this "lag" effect of higher calorie burning after activity cessation.

3.) It has to do with body composition and secondary effects from aerobic exercise. My primary concern is the depletion of blood glucose brought about by moderate intensity aerobics as you suggested. Depletion of glucose invariably triggers binge eating, and long-term cardio at a moderate intensity activates muscle depleting catabolic pathways in the body. Both are counterproductive in terms of altering body composition.
    I guess I need the first question answered, as to what intensity the 100m on/off is intended to be done. There is a beginning running theory that is becoming more popular that recommends 100m jog, 100m walk for distance training as a n00b until you can run further distances straight. I was thinking more along the lines of 100m track type sprinting, walk the curves for recovery from what you describe.

I was also disregarding the catabolic effects, as the OP didn't really indicate anything about wanting to build muscle, just get rid of fat (at least for the moment, that may change down the road.) With the binge eating, a lot of that is controlled by consuming recovery drinks (I use milk after runs/rides, as it is 3:1 CHO:Protein, which is the "golden" ratio.)

Though all exercise does ultimately burn ATP, ADP, glucose and fats, the ratios are altered given the length and intensity of exercise. Fats are the slowest pathway to be utilized, and are therefore favored during low-intensity activity. Unlike moderate or high intensity exercise, low intensity activity is unlikely to produce injuries and requires no recovery period.
    Again, it was my understanding that you are using both fat and other pathways at all times. During high intensity it shifts more towards the blood/muscle cell glucose storage, and as the time of the activity increases, metabolism shifts to favor the fat source again. (Somewhat disregarding the glycogen stores in the liver). But, it's not an either/or kind of thing.

4.) The stretches are to improve posture and ameliorate muscle imbalances caused by a sedentary lifestyle, specifically sitting all day. It prevents injury and at the outset of a workout routine, is a surprisingly quick way to make someone look less slouchy and chubby.
    Coolness. Thanks for that. Oh, and I've never see that arch stretch done with a chair before, we always have just pushed up from the floor. Have to try the chair, as I don't get much out of the floor anymore.

John

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 5:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan View Post
    (I use milk after runs/rides, as it is 3:1 CHO:Protein, which is the "golden" ratio.)
    Milk's 13:9. Did you mean chocolate milk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast