Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 3:09pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, at face value, these guys may be good and well known instructors regionally. This is not what was in question though.

So, with regard to Tucci, it seems that on Tucci's own website, he claims a BJJ black belt under Soneca. Soneca says he never gave him a rank. And that he was ranked prior. What rank and under whom are still unknown. It is worth noting that Soneca's website says Tucci is a Black Belt in BJJ, but does not specify who awarded it to him...contrary to Tucci's website, which says Soneca awarded it.

Regarding his sambo, apparently as far back as 2002 (when he was with LA Boxing) Tucci was claiming to be a "Russian Sambo Champ", and he currently claims a black belt in Sambo from Gokor, which we are learning is very doubtful as Gokor does not give out sambo ranks and at this point nobody in Gokor's org seems to know Tucci. I have no record of him in my sambo tournament database which currently has US records going back to 1978. However, my database is admittedly incomplete, so if Tucci did win anything, I may not have the record. It would be good to know what he supposedly won so I could check it out. But to be a "champ" and not be known in the US community is odd.

Also interesting is his claim of over 40 pro mma fights and multiple international titles. The UG and Sherdog databases each list 2 fights, one in 1999 and one in 2003. We all know these databases can be off a bit, but off by 38+ fights? Also notable is the fact that google reveals very little else in terms of past fights, which seems odd to me. 40+ fights since 1999 and little net presence?

The Gracie claim on the 3x website is odd, at least to Soneca. I would also add that on the 3x website they claim Soneca as a founder of Gracie Barra. I can't find any indication of that. Closest is that Soneca is a BB in the GB organozation. Everything I see says that Carlos Gracie, Jr. was the founder. No mention of co-founders.

The Ranieri Paiva stuff is a new unexpected development. Soneca says he did not rank him. Did Soneca say who did rank either of these guys before coming to him to train/affiliate? Paiva's bio on his own website says he was instructor at Wolfslayer Academy in Liverpool, England and holds multiple national titles in the UK, Brazil, and internationally. Can anyone confirm this or has anyone contacted Wolfslayer? Paiva's own bio does not claim a BJJ Black belt under Soneca, only that he has one and that he is now affiliated with Soneca. My assumption would be that he got his BB from Wolfslayer under Mario ‘Sucata’ Neto? (BTW, their website is wolfslair MMA, not wolfslayer academy)
    Last edited by sambosteve; 6/05/2010 3:23pm at .
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is not the first time Sucata's name has come up in regards to BJJ rank mysteries. Someone known as "Maurice Sakata" is claimed to have granted problematic rank in the past, and many speculate that Sakata's name is a parody of Mario Sucata's. I will post a link to that investigation later.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 7:52pm

Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    This is not the first time Sucata's name has come up in regards to BJJ rank mysteries. Someone known as "Maurice Sakata" is claimed to have granted problematic rank in the past, and many speculate that Sakata's name is a parody of Mario Sucata's. I will post a link to that investigation later.
    Mario 'Sukata'/'Sucata' Neto is a different person from the other 'Sakata' mentioned on here before.

Mario Sukata is a Carlson Gracie black belt I believe.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 8:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the X3 BJJ instructors page (my previous post has an image cache entry), Renieri is listed as having taught at the 'Wolfslayer' (sic) academy in Liverpool (http://www.wolfslairmma.co.uk/). This school is run by Mario 'Sucata' Neto.

I wrote Mr Neto and asked him if Renieri was ranked and instructed at the school.

Mario wrote back and stated:

- Renieri was not an instructor at Wolfslair
    - Renieri had been there before and taken a couple of classes while Mario was away.
    - Renieri did not have any MMA matches while at Wolfslair
    - The fighters at Wolfslair train under Mario and his instructors; nobody else should take credit for their accomplistments.

It appears that Soneca has faith in their abilities and thinks highly of them. Tucci and Paiva have other testimonials (Annatrocity here and some comments about X3 elsewhere).

At this point, I'm hoping that X3 got carried away with the promotion on the site.

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 11:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    Mario 'Sukata'/'Sucata' Neto is a different person from the other 'Sakata' mentioned on here before.

Mario Sukata is a Carlson Gracie black belt I believe.
    Yes, I know they are different people. 'Sakata' isn't even demonstrably a real person.

Posted On:
    6/05/2010 11:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At this point, I'm hoping that X3 got carried away with the promotion on the site.
    It's funny how martial artists are the only professionals alloweeeeeeed to use this excuse. Can you imagine someone saying "Hey, I'm only a paralegal! I have no idea why my webmaster though I was a JD! I guess someone got carried away..."

"Opthamologist? I'm an Optometrist. I just got carried away with the promotion and wrote MD instead of OD. No biggie, right? Ask Anatrocity, I'm a nice guy."

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 1:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Renieri Paiva is quite talented.

He won the Black Belt Masters Super Heavy division at the 2010 Pan Ams: http://www.ibjjf.org/results/2010pan.htm

His YouTube channel shows him winning the Kentucky Open in 2008 in the Black Belt division:
    YouTube- Ranieri Paiva - Kentucky Open BJJ 2008

As WW stated (which I need to acknowledge), his talent doesn't shield him from the misleading information on the X3 site.

This is just a very strange situation.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 1:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It appears that Soneca has faith in their abilities and thinks highly of them. Tucci and Paiva have other testimonials (Annatrocity here and some comments about X3 elsewhere).

That is one way to look at it. There are other less friendly ways as well. It could be that Soneca never bothered to check their credentials before having them affiliate with him. Maybe he is inexperienced in such matters. Maybe he took them at their word and made a mistake. Or, it could be that he did not care and saw an opportunity for expanding his organization and making some $$$.

I am not saying any of these are what happened, but I have sometimes been concerned about certain group think around here that if someone gets a nod from a known instructor, that they get a pass (not suggesting this is Skippy or Annatrocity specifically, or even conscious). But, it is possible for bigger named instructors to be less than reputable or play fast and loose with the rules.

Ditto to what WW said. Why is it acceptable for such "web designer" errors to be used to explain such blatant inconsistencies and conflicting information. We see this a lot around here. No other profession would accept such errors (assuming they are such errors). I for one have never bought the excuse. As an instructor and school owner, I am on top of everything that goes on my website and am very aware of how I am presented on it. Most others I know are the same way.

And regarding testimonials...

They may be likable guys (I am sure they are if Annatrocity says so). But, that really has nothing to do with the topic of claiming credentials that one may not have and misleading students, etc. There have been a great many fibbers who are also really friendly people.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 1:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Renieri Paiva is quite talented.

He won the Black Belt Masters Super Heavy division at the 2010 Pan Ams: http://www.ibjjf.org/results/2010pan.htm

His YouTube channel shows him winning the Kentucky Open in 2008 in the Black Belt division:
    YouTube- Ranieri Paiva - Kentucky Open BJJ 2008

As WW stated (which I need to acknowledge), his talent doesn't shield him from the misleading information on the X3 site.

This is just a very strange situation.
    He is clearly talented (except for his musical choice...LOL). And there could be a simple explaination to all this. But right now the facts are odd and don't seem to make much sense.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    6/06/2010 1:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast