Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 8:45am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by artiemask View Post
    Has any ever seen a poom certificate written for adults.
    A friend just received such a promotion. Tried to give good council but
    as he told me Jidokwan federation Issued the paperwork. Now correct me if im wrong but I didnt think jidokwan issued dan certificates.
    Thank You
    Artiemask
    The actual Jidokwan in Korea (yes they still exist) very rarely issue dan ranks unless you have a GM who is JDK AND is very tight with the organization. I have never heard of adults receiving a poom rank. This is a rank given exclusively for children as far as I know. Lastly if, he is Jidokwan, he should have been issued a rank through the KKW. Do you know the name of his school or have a website to the school?

Which Jidokwan Federation issued this rank The World Jidokwan Federationk, American Jidokwan Federation, International Jidokwan Federation....?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    ...to add, the whole ranking system thing is kind of new in Japanese martial arts. I will related this to TKD/Jidokwan as it is my understanding they were influenced heavily by Tang Soo Do..which is basically Korean for Shotokan Karate (right?). Anyway, Jigoro Kano implemented a ranking system to appease the newer generations who craved some kind of immediate gratification/incentive for their training efforts. I find it is not too uncommon for schools who's style does not traditionally support a belt/dan/kyu system to add that in themselves for similar reasons.
    Actually this is incorrect. Jidokwan, originally named Chosun Yumoo Kwan Karate and Yudo school, was formed in 1946 and was developed separately from Tangsoodo. They had both a yudo division and a Karate division (known as Kwon bup-boo). The system was comprised of Shotokan, Shudokan, and Chuan'fa and was one of the top Kwans which developed many champion fighters which includes the GM mentioned earlier, Park, Dong-kwon from N.J.

There had always been a "ranking system" in the martial arts prior to the development of the belt system. The ranking system developed by Prof. Kano, Jigoro was based off the dan system of from the board game Go. Since Professor Kano was an educator, he developed the belt system to help set learning goals for Judo students. It was not used to supply instant gratification to the students. Especially since, in the beginning there were only white belts and black belts.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn it! I need to start paying attention to post dates. I thought this thread was fresh and after posting these replies I saw that they were over a year old. Sorry for necro screwing this thing.

As far as Robert A. Olah, I will ask about his rank in Jidokwan though it is highly doubtful he holds this rank.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345