Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 10:09pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True,

That is where my friend got his certs from...I think what the discussion revolves around is that non-traditional aspect of issuing dan rank for jidokwan when that was not necessarily their original practice. The tumultuous birth/joining of the kwans into Tae Kwon Do perhaps muddied this practice. However, there are Jidokwan practitioners to this day...though some may call them sentimentalists...that hold to the original art with the addition of dan system as per common pratice in MA's in North America. This is more or less the gist of what my buddy told me who is a sandan in Jidokwan in Ohio.
    Best,
    A

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 8:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    True,

That is where my friend got his certs from...
    Well, if it was thru GM Cole, they are legitimate Jidokwan.

I think what the discussion revolves around is that non-traditional aspect of issuing dan rank for jidokwan when that was not necessarily their original practice.
    Issuing of dan certificates is traditional (if you can call anything less than 70 years "traditional.") in the karate-based Kwans which later became Taekwondo. Each of the pre-Kukkiwon Kwans issued certificates. That was one of the problems leading up to the Korean-government backed KTA (and later the Kukkiwon) issuing official dan ranking.

However, there are Jidokwan practitioners to this day...though some may call them sentimentalists...that hold to the original art with the addition of dan system as per common pratice in MA's in North America. This is more or less the gist of what my buddy told me who is a sandan in Jidokwan in Ohio.
    Many Taekwondoin, myself included, are proud of their Kwan heritage. But the Kwan-jang of each Kwan pledged allegiance and support for the Kukkiwon.

Your friend is a sam-dan (3rd) or a sa-dan (4th)? San is the Japanese pronunciation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 10:52am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He uses Japanese pronunciation because the martial art group/peeps he associates with now use mostly Japanese pronunciation. We do have a TKD/krotty bastard "style" where they use both terminology, but as far as my buddy's Jidokwan ranking he just says sandan..Jap pronunciation/, meaning.

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 2:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/Olympic Style TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My master is a 9th dan from the Jidokwan. It`s a nice piece of history and interesting to know your lineage, but Kukkiwon issues poom/dan ranks...end of story. Anything else is a club dan/kwan dan and means nothing outside your dojang.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am pretty sure Chung Do Kwan still issues their own dan certificates and they are recognised by the KKW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 4:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jidokwan Dan

Yes, Jidokwan Taekwondo does issue Dan certificates. They operate as a fraternal order within the Kukkiwon, but offer separate certificates. From what I understand, you need to have a strong connection to Jidokwan for them to issue promotions.

My 5th Dan Jidokwan was obtained in Korea at the Jidokwan office.

primarily in NC, but travel often to visit family.

Posted On:
    11/15/2010 10:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do, & Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bppom Dan - Deputy Black Belt

Quote Originally Posted by artiemask View Post
    Has any ever seen a poom certificate written for adults.
    A friend just received such a promotion. Tried to give good council but
    as he told me Jidokwan federation Issued the paperwork. Now correct me if im wrong but I didnt think jidokwan issued dan certificates.
    Thank You
    Artiemask

Kukkiwon (WTF) Poom Dans (Bo Dan) are usually given to children black belts in Korean Tae Kwon Do dojangs. It is a child's black belt until they reach the age of 16. Poom Dans can be awarded up to 4th Poom. Once the student reaches the age of 16 and tests the student will receive a dan certification, but for a child that has reached 4th poom, he or she will have to wait until the age of 25 before testing for 5th Dan.

In the U.S., many Korean & American masters use the poom belt as a probationary black belt for students including adults until they are ready to test for 1st Dan. It all depends on the master and the dojang.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 9:00am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Robert Olah

Thread necro.......

Can anyone here check Robert A. Olah's claim to 9th Dan rank in Jidowan? Also his HKD rank?

BS thead on this cat, claiming 10 x 10th Dan, 14 x 9th Dan, 8 x 8th Dan and a whole lot more......

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=111455&page=1

Thanks,

Joe

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 6:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JI DO KWAN/HUNG GAR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if this will help anymore, and as this is my first post I probably lack credibility but here goes...

Jidokwan has been absorbed into the kukkiwon and largely resembles the WTF. When the IJF dissolved we had to adopt a new set of forms. All of the belt ranks and certificates I earned through that system are untraceable to me (very humbling). Soon after it was time for me to leave. In the absence of a concrete curriculum my school joined a new organization and adhered to a new brand of mcdojoism.

It may be that there is no way to confirm whether he is in fact a 9th degree black belt. Through the IJF 8 years ago I believe there were approx. 4 10th (they were super old) and MAYBE 10 9th degree blackbelts. IJF requirements stated that it would take something like 25 years AFTER reaching blackbelt to acquire a 9th degree, he would also not be able to surpass his masters rank (duh) AND pass certain tests AT the IJF (in Maryland I think)

While some still practice Jidokwan for sentiment (as my school continued to do for a short period of time) I would strongly advise anyone to be wary of anyone calling themselves Jidokwan unless you WANT to study WTF ATA style tae kwon do.

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 6:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JI DO KWAN/HUNG GAR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On another note Robert Olahs claim to that high of rank in that many martial arts is staggering. He appears to be living the lives of several fake MA teachers with blown up resumes o.O
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast