Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just don't see what's paranoid about carrying a self defense tool that you're legally allowed.

A few miles south of me, a guy got his throat slashed at a gas station by someone from Montana with literally NO MOTIVE. The guy walked up to the guy filling his tank, said "I'm going to kill you", and slashed him with a box cutter. The blank thankfully wasn't drawn out far enough to result in a fatality, but the guy ended up getting 100+ stitches.

Prior to this, there was literally no violent crime in the area. When I heard that story, I applied for my CWP and got my wife to do the same for long road trips.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 11:25am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I don't mind being considered a bit paranoid. I'm comfortable with that. If I am paranoid, it's largely because I have a lot to lose. That means I'm living a good life. I spent way less time thinking about self defense and the realities of danger before I had kids.

When I had kids, it all became much more fucking clear. I now have something that I would die for, or kill for, or do anything else you can possibly imagine for. I have the max life insurance I can buy. I have sturdy locks on the doors. I make sure to clean their cuts and scrapes properly so they don't get some nasty bacterial infection. I don't let anyone babysit them other than our closest relatives.

I do all those things for one simple reason. Because I give a ****. Because they're worth protecting. Those are the same reasons that I have an AR-15 in the closet with a case of ammo. The same reason I carry concealed. They need their Daddy to come home to them. I've got **** to teach them and things I want to see them do. Nobody's going to fucking stop me.

The odds of me having to use my weapon are slim. I don't walk the streets like a cowboy at high noon looking for a gun fight. I make every effort to avoid places where I'm likely to have trouble. If I do have trouble and can walk away, I will. But I also won't ignore the fact that one day, some asshole may try to kill me for some bullshit like my wallet or vehicle. If that happens, I will do everything in my power to make sure he never takes another breath. Anybody who can't relate to that isn't much of a man, in my opinion.
    See thats a good answer, I can understand that. I'm very protective of the people i love myself. I asked the question because i'm interested in peoples reasoning.

There's alot of insecurity when it comes to gun control as an issue, it's often difficult to even bring up as a question on these forums without being met with hostility. (as you soo expertly showed in your first post)
    Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 6/03/2010 11:29am at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 11:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    See thats a good answer, I can understand that. I'm very protective of the people i love myself. I asked the question because i'm interested in peoples reasoning.

There's alot of insecurity when it comes to gun control as an issue, it's often difficult to even bring up as a question on these forums without being met with hostility. (as you soo expertly showed in your first post)
    Did you honestly think you weren't going to encounter hostility with the phrase "you are all fucking paranoid"?
    "Emevas,

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of interest, why would you feel the NEED to carry a gun around with you?
    Well, first, we need to discuss "feeling a need" vs "knowing there is a need."

Dealing with the latter first;

I have to go help an abused woman get her kids and stuff out of the house.

Help someone dealing with a stalker move.

Going to the assistance of someone broken down late at night on the highway.

I am sure others will add more. The context here is simple, I am POSITIVE I am going into harms way. I will equip myself accordingly.

The former is less just as cut and dry. ANY day I may be forced to put myself in harms way, or harms way may come to me. My ability to defend myself against the Goblins who would do me harm is the difference between life and death, of myself or another.

As such, I carry the most effective form of personal protection device, which the constitution of the US grants me the right to do.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 11:36am

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'Waiste' being the operative word there, sadly i started out in Wing Chun.

Iíll never really understand the rampant paranoia that seems to accompany the gun-​​loving subculture of the USA that clings to the Second Amendment like a needy ex-​​girlfriend. Itís not just that they hold as a basic right the idea that people should be free to own guns ó bizarre though that may be in itself ó but the fact that in order to justify that belief they make the argument (contrary to all evidence) that owning guns makes a society safer. The corollary to this, also often stated, is that societies with gun control are either police states, or are on a downhill slope descending into fascism.

(Also Devil i dont think i even need to address your post you pretty much make my point all on your own.)

So basically you are baffled at why a man in the free world without a criminal background or mental deffect should be allowed to defend himself.

While you are at it why don't you post some evidence that banning guns actually reduces violence.

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 11:37am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Did you honestly think you weren't going to encounter hostility with the phrase "you are all fucking paranoid"?
    Well do you think I am right or not?

Do most people arm themselves purely out of paranoia?

We dont prepare ourselves for every possible hypothetical situation so why this?
    Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 6/03/2010 11:42am at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 11:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It has nothing to do with insecurity. We're tired of explaining ourselves to people who don't have a clue. It's kind of like trying to explain to ninjers why sparring is important. It's so obvious, yet so difficult for some numbnuts to grasp.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 11:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well am I right or not?
    You answer my question first.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 11:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No i just want someone to say it and It's a fair question.

You are all fucking paranoid.
    When last I checked, English law (Canada too) says you can not own anything that's main purpose is to cause harm to another. Meaning even pepper spray is banned in your country. So your right to self-defense is what?

I am sure back in 1776 those British forces were very unhappy that the other side didn't follow the spirit of that law.

Not paranoid, as those who love peace should prepare for war.... :qtank:
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 11:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose when i started Martial Arts as a teenager i did. It's certainly not my main reason for training these days.

I'm not trying to be a dick honestly but it does suprise that some of you guys feel that carrying a gun around with you for self protection is a good idea.
    Why do you think its a bad idea?

Kleck has proven in "More Gun's Less Crime" that over two million times a year violent crime is halted simply by showing the bad guy you have a gun.

Where is your evidence that licensed law biding citizens carrying firearms is a bad idea?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast