Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    In the course of the ensuing lawsuit, you would need to prove you were ignorant of the potential of the child possessing the offending images, which would be difficult to do as you attempted to detain the child in a non-contact manner yet let him go.
    :icon_blac Seriously?! - I have no idea what the kid does with his mobile phone. If I see a guy taking a photo of a girl with a phone, how do I identify it?

By a clicking sound, most likely. Could be anything.

My vision might spontaneously blur as I walk by. Don't know, ciliary in my eye, maybe. Can happen.

Okay, I am somewhat biased in the sense that I had similar experiences at my school; while I never was the victim, I once had to bear-hug a teacher who was going berserk on a girl. And over my school carreer, several of such moments. And I was at a pretty WASPy school.

Point being, teachers tend to overstep their boundaries all the time, and then wonder if students do, too.

What the hell had the teacher to do with the kid's mobile phone in the first place?!

Also, another article that presents everything in a slightly different light.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...ion-video.html

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You know what? Just say you don't agree. Building complex situations, where you can justify calling the guy unprofessional, is silly.
    Sorry, hadn't read that. I disagree with you here.

I think it's important to try to look at the situation from different viewpoints.

If you can show any scenario that would have justified the use of violence, or quasi-violent restrictive force and could not have been evaded by a preemptive non-violent action - like confiscating the evidence, taking the student's personal data, or calling a colleague to help - I am all ears.

But the way I see it so far, there was no reason to use force on that kid, even though he tried to escape.

Also, the question remains how the principal became aware of the so-called "inappropriate" material.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:23pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The incident started when Fells demanded Josh hand over his cellphone after the boy prepared to record a fight that was brewing in the school, the parents said.
    This is a significant variation in the story.
    <insert witty comment>

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Sorry, hadn't read that. I disagree with you here.

I think it's important to try to look at the situation from different viewpoints.

If you can show any scenario that would have justified the use of violence, or quasi-violent restrictive forceand could not have been evaded by a preemptive non-violent action - like confiscating the evidence, taking the student's personal data, or calling a colleague to help - I am all ears.

But the way I see it so far, there was no reason to use force on that kid, even though he tried to escape.

Also, the question remains how the principal became aware of the so-called "inappropriate" material.
    Okay. Let's try this again.

Creating your own situations is not looking at something from a different viewpoint. That is what 3moose did. he created a new situation to say what the kid did was not wrong.

Nowhere did it say he was looking at pictures and they were his girlfriend. That's not a different viewpoint that is a new scenario. That is what you are doing, creating scenarios or situations to fit why you feel the principal is wrong.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's Jr. High, these aren't adults.

Most Likely:

the girl OR another student went to the principal and stated "so-and-so took a pix of me walking up the stairs" -or "so-and-so was seen running out of the girl's locker room with a camera" -or- "so-and-so showed me a pix he took of her"

kid got called to the office, was told to surrender his cell phone to prove he did/din't have the offending images to verify the claim. Kid tried to take off, making the appearance of guilt and principal needed to restrain him to preserve the potential evidence.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:33pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, those are scenarios as well. I haven't commented either way because, it isn't in America or Spain and I don't have the full story.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correct and true.

I am just supposing the principal chose the lesser of the two evils.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's more directed at pilgrim. I am all for scenarios but, calling someone unprofessional based on a scenario you built is silly.
    This video, among many other incidents, is why I changed my major. No teaching kids for me.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People were sure eager to jump the gun and call it child pr0n. I'm pretty sure the school would call it that way too to save their asses if it was true. Instead they just label it "inappropriate".

Either way, I don't think cops could stop you and take your phone just like that, let alone a teacher.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Okay. Let's try this again.

Creating your own situations is not looking at something from a different viewpoint. That is what 3moose did. he created a new situation to say what the kid did was not wrong.

Nowhere did it say he was looking at pictures and they were his girlfriend. That's not a different viewpoint that is a new scenario. That is what you are doing, creating scenarios or situations to fit why you feel the principal is wrong.
    Okay, that's valid, though I think I misrepresented my point then.

The reason for the principal's use of force is not relevant. In no conceivable scenario might he have used force, unless there is imminent danger of assault or collusion of a crime. - Which, by all indications that the articles gave so far, was not the case.

This is why I call him unprofessional. He should have known better than to wrestle a kid in the middle of lunch break just to, in the end, prove his authority.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast