Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 10:38am

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I need help finding what I'm looking for

My parents are anti-gun. So the only way for me to have a weapon is to store it in one of those public storage places. Sadly these places don't really have any control from the natural elements, and as a gun n00b I don't know how it would effect certain weapons.

I'm 18 so I want to buy a rifle and shotgun for the range, but I need something that is durable. It's okay if it requires a little maintenence, but it has to be able to witstand the elements

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 11:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Save your gun money and move out of your parents house.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 11:40am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    My parents are anti-gun. So the only way for me to have a weapon is to store it in one of those public storage places. Sadly these places don't really have any control from the natural elements, and as a gun n00b I don't know how it would effect certain weapons.

I'm 18 so I want to buy a rifle and shotgun for the range, but I need something that is durable. It's okay if it requires a little maintenence, but it has to be able to witstand the elements
    Do you have a job, steady employment, your own house, your own car, and can pay your own utilities?

If not STFU. I'm going through similar crap with my 18 years old. Guess what talk we had?

GTFO of my house if you can't follow my rules. Of course it was much longer with points detailing the questions I just asked you but, that was a summary of the sentiment.

Yes, I know, some youngster are going to pop in and say hypocrites, mean, etc etc.

So, get your own living quarters and do whatever you want.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 12:00pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 100% behind you IIF. That's one of the reasons I moved out shortly after I finished high school.

NoGroinNoKrav: If you can afford to be buying guns for the purposes of shooting at the range, you should be able to afford your own apartment and your own car, etc... Because range weapons are a luxury. They come after food, shelter, and transportation. If you aren't providing your own of those three, you don't need to be buying weapons to play with.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Storing a firearm is only part of the deal - you will also need a place to clean it regularly. To answer your question, I would highly recommend a climate-controlled indoor storage place with security. Try this place:

http://www.willowgroveselfstorage.com/

I am not sure what their exact pricing is, but you're probably looking at $50-75/mo for a 5x10 or 10x10. I would also suggest you invest in a box of some sort that locks just for extra piece of mind.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:01pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Do you have a job, steady employment, your own house, your own car, and can pay your own utilities?

If not STFU. I'm going through similar crap with my 18 years old. Guess what talk we had?

GTFO of my house if you can't follow my rules. Of course it was much longer with points detailing the questions I just asked you but, that was a summary of the sentiment.

Yes, I know, some youngster are going to pop in and say hypocrites, mean, etc etc.

So, get your own living quarters and do whatever you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I'm 100% behind you IIF. That's one of the reasons I moved out shortly after I finished high school.

NoGroinNoKrav: If you can afford to be buying guns for the purposes of shooting at the range, you should be able to afford your own apartment and your own car, etc... Because range weapons are a luxury. They come after food, shelter, and transportation. If you aren't providing your own of those three, you don't need to be buying weapons to play with.
    Listen to these people; they are absolutely right.

Buying a gun when you still live with your parents is only for us really pathetic folks who: A) are absolutely stuck where we are, and B) have come to an agreement with our parent(s) regarding the issue. The amount of money I spent on my pistol wouldn't have made any difference in my ability to move out, and I get to share range time and cleaning parties (not actual parties, obviously) with my father in the meantime.

By the way, I bought my gun to deal with snakes (including the kind with two legs)—range time was an afterthought.
    Last edited by Robstafarian; 6/02/2010 3:08pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are purchasing a firearm and find yourself living with your parents in American society and practice any art that starts with "nin", odds are, you will turn the gun on yourself.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:26pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was 18, I ran out and bought a piece-of-**** SKS for $50. My mommy had told me "no" (this is all true, BTW) so I just took all the drawers out of my dresser, placed the gun in the back, then replaced all the drawers.

I also bought a bad-ass 30 round clip for it. And ammo, too.

Every day that summer when she'd leave for work, I'd pull it out the dresser and waive it around my brother and sister. Sometimes I'd just sit there real crazy-like and cycle rounds through it manually.

So one day I'm doing that, and I didn't know too much about guns back then, and as I stood up I accidentally pressed the trigger. Fortunately, the rifle had a safety. Unfortunately, it was off. Fortunately, I almost always checked to make sure the chamber was clear. Unfortunately, this time it wasn't.

Ever hear a 7.62 go off in a 15' x 30' room? I have.

My brother falls down, my sister immediately starts crying. There is a hole. A small one, but very telltale, in the carpet just beyond the lip of the couch. My brother gets up and looks at the damage.

Being clever boys, we spackle the hardwood underneath, then go cut a small portion of carpet out of one of our rooms to cover the damage. It's almost invisible. Almost. You could spend 100 years in that room and not noticed our adept craftsmanship.

Problem was my dad. Vietnam vet, slightly crazy. He sure as **** knew what stipling was and what it looked like. What's worse, the carpet was whiter than the couch and the blast pattern may as well have been in day-glo.

He confronted me with the evidence - with my rifle in his hands. He counted out 29 rounds in front of me, and showed me the stipling and the powder on the crown of the barrel. Then he produced the spent casing.

He had apparently known the whole time. Having raised me, he knew a little something about my sneakiness. Yeah, he was my dad and he was lame, but he was also one step ahead of me, it would seem. I really hadn't learned many new tricks since I was 12.

This enlightening event coincided with my having to pay something called "rent," which I liked so much that I still do to this day.

Moral; don't **** your parents over. 'Cuz they've made your life pretty fucking easy. You owe them a great deal of respect and gratitude for that. Anything less makes you a sub-par man now that you're 18. You don't want to be sub-par.

So wait until you have your own place to shoot a hole in the floor and endanger your siblings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:31pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P.S. gun oil or CLP will protect your weapon from the elements as long as it's not immersed in salt water. That black **** on the metal isn't just for show - it's also a protective layer. If it's cool with your parents I have no problem giving you useful, accurate advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:43pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post

Moral; don't **** your parents over. 'Cuz they've made your life pretty fucking easy. You owe them a great deal of respect and gratitude for that. Anything less makes you a sub-par man now that you're 18. You don't want to be sub-par.

So wait until you have your own place to shoot a hole in the floor and endanger your siblings.
    Awesome story and this right here.

No, I'm not going to say everyone had it easy but, if you have disposable income to buy a gun and hide it you have low priorities and responsibilities right now.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast