Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2010 10:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    More Judo in MMA plz. Here's hoping for a good debut and the start of a good career.
    cosign. Judo is sick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 7:53pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo will one day change the world just as Jigoro Kano envisioned it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2010 4:24am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw this on Judo Forum about why Ronda took up MMA. Apparently USA Judo aren't financially supporting her training as one of the world's top athletes.

http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topi...usey-went-mma/
    I talked to Ronda Rousey last week and her mother Ann Marie Demars Phd, they both said Ronda quit judo because of the money issue. In the news release by Lance NaddingSep.14, 2010 he said " On average , medal hopefuls from around the world receive in excess of $ 100,000 per year in training, coaching, medical and lining support expenses. that amount or more is just the financial commitment it takes to have a shot at winning." Usa Judo sends much less that to each of the six training sites and none of them have ever had a athlete win a World or Olympian medal, except, Otc, Bronze, brian Olson and of coarse The Pedros Site, two Olympian Bronze and two world gold. Usa judo has no idea what they are doing. Its a party for them, from country to country, hotel to hotel ! We need one or two major training sites, the the Pedros running them. A CEO like Frank Fullerton and a dirctor Like Bruce Toups. The money has to go the the top athletes and coaches that produce "A" Level Medals. Ronda is making MMA money now,, Usa Judo you messed this one up big time!!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2010 12:21pm

Style: Shaolin/Judo/JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is also messed up about the judo forum is that some of the senior folks there are slamming Ronda for her mma efforts as a disgrace to "real Kodokan judo". Using the judo for financial gain and entering a combat related contest for money that allows an opponenet to get hurt. I love judo, but I love the mma, as well. I guess, according to them, I am not a real judoka.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2010 1:14pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw that, I just didn't get it.
    They kept going on about how Judo is a way of life and using the waza to GnP is bad form or some ****.

I don't mean to disrespect them, but I just didn't get that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 5:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Spirit View Post
    What is also messed up about the judo forum is that some of the senior folks there are slamming Ronda for her mma efforts as a disgrace to "real Kodokan judo". Using the judo for financial gain and entering a combat related contest for money that allows an opponenet to get hurt. I love judo, but I love the mma, as well. I guess, according to them, I am not a real judoka.
    Wasn't this the same sort of stuff that got Kimura in trouble?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    They kept going on about how Judo is a way of life and using the waza to GnP is bad form or some ****.

See: Hedgehogey's commentary on Judoka and handlebar mustaches.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 10:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post

自他共栄

Jita kyoei - mutual benefit and welfare. One of the idea's behind Judo is that the techniques were taken from Jujutsu and altered in such a way as to make them safe to practice at full speed and force every day.

This is why the criteria for ippon are speed, power, control and largely on the back. The control element is there so that tori remains standing, guides uke onto his back and can pull up on the sleeve to ensure uke has a safe landing. The largely on the back element is so that the force is disapated over a large surface area and uke is in a position to break fall therefore minimising injury. Contrast this with a Jujutsu technique that sought to spike uke onto their head...

Also consider that Judo restircts locking techniques to largely on the elbow joint. The reason is that a break of the elbow joint is easier to recover from and has less long term debilitating effects than a broken shoulder, knee, ankle, neck or spine.

So you see that Judo techniques are entirely constructed around maximising safety and minimising injury to your opponent. This aspect of Judo is supposed not only to be present in the physical techniques of Judo, but is also supposed to be a life lesson for the Judoka to look out for others, to try and avoiding doing them harm and generally live a lifestyle which adheres to the philosophy of jita kyoei or mutual benefit and welfare for all.

Now the reason Judoka who take this philosophy very seriously consider MMA an anathema to Judo and consider a Judoka who has entered MMA a deviant from Judo is because MMA techniques don't have this element of jita kyoei as defined by Judo. The most glaring example of where MMA practices go in direct contravention of the philosophy of jita kyoei is the knock out. The objective of knocking someone out has no aspect of looking out for your opponents safety about it, you are solely trying to cause maximum damage to the brain. Its impossible to knock someone out in a way that doesn't have the potential to cause long term damage.

Now in order to have this viewpoint you have to take the philosophies of Judo very seriously and believe that they really are something you should carry through into your daily life. Now I don't adhere that strictly to that idea. I enjoy MMA I like a good knockout and I don't have a problem with Judoka entering MMA if thats what they want to do. However, I understand and have sympathy for the view that as a Judoka MMA should be an anathema to you, even if I don't share it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    See: Hedgehogey's commentary on Judoka and handlebar mustaches.
    Lol! Where would I find that?
    Last edited by judoka_uk; 9/19/2010 10:03am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 12:02pm

Style: Shaolin/Judo/JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Acid the Great - yes, Kimura caught a lot of grief for his matches outside of Kodokan and Judo guidelines. I believe he was even censored by Dr. Kano. Again, I would state that while I enjoy the traditional martial arts and have included Judo in my life for several years, I also believe in practical training for personal combat and see nothing wrong whatsoever (in my personal view, that is) with using whatever technique works in any given situation in order to keep my ass in one piece and prevail over my opponent.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/21/2010 12:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid The Great View Post
    Wasn't this the same sort of stuff that got Kimura in trouble?
    Yeah, Kano wasn't terribly fond of prizefighting, but the world has changed since he died.

Judo for me is about good sportsmanship among other things, and MMA isn't incompatible with that in my opinion. Okay so there are some dicks in the sport, but there are pure judoka out there who aren't above gamesmanship and even petty thuggery... so to pretend like judo is some sacred cow is bullshit.

I doubt Kano would have a problem with the way GSP conducts himself for example.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast