Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 1:55am

Style: bjj (blue) Judo (green)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Close-quarter self defense advice needed

I'm planning a month-long tour of Europe starting at the end of the month. I will visit 9 countries countries with my girlfriend as my travel partner. I've been practicing BJJ for 6 months and know the basic throws and groundwork geared for competition/sport . While I realize that this knowledge could save my life if I'm taken to the ground or grabbed, I would like to hear of effective 'fight starters' that may avoid a prolonged clinch and ground game. I'm assuming that the altercation starts at a talking distance or closer (chest to chest). What's the best opening move that you guys know/or have used to attack with. If all possible, I would like to avoid ultra dirty attacks (kick to nuts, eye gouging, etc.) to prevent possible observer/buddy retailiation.

I realize that one move will not make me a deadly Ninja; I'd just like to engrain a basic opening attack from close quarters if things get fucking ugly and I'm FORCED to defend myself.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kayman101 View Post
    I'm planning a month-long tour of Europe starting at the end of the month. I will visit 9 countries countries with my girlfriend as my travel partner. I've been practicing BJJ for 6 months and know the basic throws and groundwork geared for competition/sport . While I realize that this knowledge could save my life if I'm taken to the ground or grabbed, I would like to hear of effective 'fight starters' that may avoid a prolonged clinch and ground game. I'm assuming that the altercation starts at a talking distance or closer (chest to chest). What's the best opening move that you guys know/or have used to attack with. If all possible, I would like to avoid ultra dirty attacks (kick to nuts, eye gouging, etc.) to prevent possible observer/buddy retailiation.

I realize that one move will not make me a deadly Ninja; I'd just like to engrain a basic opening attack from close quarters if things get fucking ugly and I'm FORCED to defend myself.

I don't believe in "chest to chest self defense". At that range, immediate offensive action is necessary.
    - Drill Geoff Thompson's "Fence". That is absolutely as close as you should let anyone get.
    The Fence clip #2
    - Get some of Carl Cestari's materials, watch these vids, esp the Fairbairn seminar.
    If you can, try to find Carl's Combat Jujutsu dvds, they're a "combatives" version of his decades of Judo & Jujutsu experience.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the links, Jim. I stayed up way too late watching/enjoying them. Any other advice/links would be much appreciated. Hopefully I won't become an insomniac.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 11:48am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With your lead hand point to your left or right (depending on which one is in front) and yell "look a distraction" when they turn their head slam your other fist into the side of their head.

In all seriousness if your asking what to do if someone in another country attacks you well there are three important things.
    1. Don't go to bad places. There is always a chance of running into trouble but its decreased if you stay away from the bad parts of town.

2. Travel with a group. Two lone tourists are a much easier target than a group. Don't make an easy target and the chances of trouble finding you instantly decreases.

3. Know where the embassy is. This one should be obvious but many people seem to forget about it. If your an American in a foreign country and you get into a fight or any trouble that causes you to have to hurt someone or that causes the police to be called than get thee to the embassy and let them clear things up.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 11:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ask them for money and be real insistant while quoting bible verses and handing out Amway brochures

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 1:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 1:28pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Head-butt. Smash your hairline into their nose. Hard. Practice for a while.

Hair-pull. And if anything goes wrong, kick them in their testicles (repeatedly) as they're trying to counter the hair pull.

When confronted, stand with your hand together underneath your chin. Like a "pleading" position, but really it's almost a fighting stance. This will close your reactionary gap if someone tries to sucker-punch you.

Like so: http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/...Knock_Out_Slap

Notice how the gentleman in red is holding his hands before he creams that son of a bitch. You do that too.

Did you know you can kimura a standing ************? Yeah! Works great on meatheads due to their lack of flexibility. If you're attacked and land one, make sure you tear his muscles so he's out of the fight. Rip the shoulder out of the socket.

Also, a good clinch is a perfect opener. Grab his neck just below his ears and throw him on the ground like a rag doll. Follow up by bashing his skull into the pavement until he stops resisting/moving. Or RNC him until same. Learn the recovery position and put him there, quickly.

Then run like hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 1:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a big fan of the C choke as a fight starter and if you grapple shouldnt be a big stretch
    YouTube- C-Grip choke-YOU MUST KNOW THIS TECHNIQUE -richard grannon

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 4:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kayman101 View Post

??????

Dude, you're coming to Europe...gun regulation is fierce here. In most major cities you can walk after midnight (2 3 o'clock at night) without being assaulted.
    Why would you need close combat training if your travelling a month.

I travelled with my former girlfriend through South-Africa, Peru, Argentina, Turkije, twice Cuba and every European Country. Always for a month at a time, always by our selfs and I never got into any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really appreciate the advice but wonder why this thread was moved to YMAS. It's a valid, appropriate question specific enough to answer. If the answer is that "It's already been discussed", then tell me what topic worth its salt hasn't already been discussed in the last 6 months. I really don't understand how the moderator can take my serious request for advice from knowledgeable practitioners (the presumed purpose of the basic technique forum) and place it in a forum where it is certain to turn into a fucking joke. Just curious and, yes, a little bitter.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast