Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 8:10am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ddlr, have you read the essay ? or do you know where i can read it without paying $159 ?
    King without a crown

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have, and it's excellent. The encyclopedia itself is a stunning collection of scholarship covering a huge range of MA styles, history, anthropological perspectives etc. I'd say it's most notable for devoting serious attention and space to martial traditions from outside Asia, including Polynesia, the Americas, Africa, the Middle East and Europe.

Unfortunately, the encyclopedia set is targeted more to libraries than to individuals; the best I can suggest is to keep an eye on eBay or wait until it turns up in the library system (re. interloan, etc.)

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 8:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool , From your description it sounds like it may be worth the money anyway so im going to order a copy.

The GM of the style states on his FB Bio:
    CHAMPION MATCH N.Y. CITYS CHINATOWNS NATE INGRAMS DEADLY ART OF SURVIVAL. BARE KNUCKEL FULL CONTACT "HEAD PUNCHES" ( NOT THE ASIAN KIND ) CHAMPIO NSHIPS REFEREE THE LEGENDARY RICO GUY. CHAMPION RON BORANS NO BLOOD NO DQ CHAMPIONSHIPS. SURVIVED THE MEAN STREETS OF BED STY, BROWNSVILLE, EAST NEW YORK BROOKLYN NO FATHER OR OLDER BROTHER FORGHT THE IMFAMOS 1970S TOMAHARKS GANG TILL ESCAPE ALONE. THIS AND ALL SITES. FOR MAURICE TOO SWEET JOHNSON OUR BEST EVEN IN DEATH RIP

Does anybody know what any of that means? (apart from the obvious lack of written skill)
    King without a crown

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 9:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He competed in two bare-knuckle tournaments in NYC and survived living in some tough neighborhoods ... I'm not sure about the rest of it.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 10:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
    Ddlr, have you read the essay ? or do you know where i can read it without paying $159 ?
    Downloadable in full in pdf format from here:
    http://www.epilace.cz/prac/Martial-A...-the-World.pdf

I have no idea if this is legal, I found it whilst searching for articles by Green through googlescholar.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 10:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judoka, you are indeed awesome!
    You have saved me $159 and thus if you ever attend a UK throwdown i will buy you a beer.
    King without a crown

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 10:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Downloadable in full in pdf format from here:
    http://www.epilace.cz/prac/Martial-A...-the-World.pdf

I have no idea if this is legal, I found it whilst searching for articles by Green through googlescholar.
    No, that's the (obsolete) first edition from the 1990s. It doesn't include the "Afrikan MA" essay; the new edition features about 80% new material.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 2:13pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a lot of the rhetoric on his website reminds me of Noble Drew Ali's theories so maybe they are Moorish Scientists.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 3:20pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I know it's WIKI but still worth a read regarding the lion statues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_guardian_lions

It discusses lion statues being visible as early as the Han dynasty, beginning in 206 B.C. Also says the image may have come from Asiatic Lions that were present in Persia during that time period. The Chinese word for lion is Shi, in Persian it is Shir, which oddly enough are very similiar when spoken.

Asiatic lions are still found today in Northern India
    安氏八极拳学生

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 6:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post
    Yeah I know it's WIKI but still worth a read regarding the lion statues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_guardian_lions

It discusses lion statues being visible as early as the Han dynasty, beginning in 206 B.C. Also says the image may have come from Asiatic Lions that were present in Persia during that time period. The Chinese word for lion is Shi, in Persian it is Shir, which oddly enough are very similiar when spoken.

Asiatic lions are still found today in Northern India
    Whats also important to note is the major stylistic differences between the Han dynasty 3rd BC to 3rd century AD, the Song 10th -13th century style 'Lions' and Ming and Qing 14th-19th century style lions.

A Han dynasty lion shown upright with horns. Indicative of a none to familiar notion of a Lion likely influenced strongly by mythological notions of Lion type animals.

A Song era 'lion' looking very dog like and not at all Lion like.

Both Han and Song dynasty's were before Zhen He's voyages starting in 1421, which is the first time that we have clear evidence of animals from Eastern Africa being brought to Beijing.

Here is a Ming dynasty era Lion from the Ming dynasty tomb complex, the site for which was chosen in the 1420s and construction begun in subsequent decades. I.e in the years after the Zheng He's expeditions had begun returning from the Western Indian Ocean and Eastern Africa.

This is the first Lion that actually looks like a Lion, Chinese stylistic embellishments aside, and is no doubt indicative of actual contact between Chinese imperial artists and live Lions. This progression would seem to indicate in conjucntion with known Chinese interactions with Africa a growing familiarity a over time rather than an Africa genesis moment for Chinese culture.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast