--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just found this site...

Noob here... Call me JungFenrir. I reside around Houston, TX., and I'm an Army veteran now working in law enforcement. I've been a cop since '05 and have been with my department since '03. Now and again I find I have need of unarmed defensive tactics, and while my teachers have been good, I mean honestly good in that they really care about your progress. I find that I still wish to learn a more traditional style, but my hours are dicked up, so finding a worthy school is difficult. Most of my recent training is with annual/bi-annual training sessions thru my department. Which brings me to the point....

Has anybody ever heard of style called Lao Hu Pai? I was a student of this style under Sigung Jerry McGlade some years back. Now while I am greatly appreciative of what I learned during my short time of study ,I'm curious as to whether or not I was duped in a "McDojo". I recently found out that Sigung McGlade originally had a falling out with his teacher Sigung A.F. Walker, who teaches a style called Won Hop Loong Chuan, regarding and incident supposedly dealing with "conduct unbecoming a black belt" on Sigung McGlade's part. Now I've never met Sigung Walker or any of his students and Sigung McGlade never really spoke of him, so I'm curious if I had signed on and basically learned... well shite. After reading the McDojo definition on Wikipedia (of all things), I realize that a lot of similarities arose.

1) Style restrictions: Could only learn the styles taught at the dojo.
    2) Had to use equipment from the school
    3) Only had tournaments with affiliated dojos. Basically schools run by his students.
    4) Contracts that had me paying a monthly fee regardless of whether I was there or at full capacity (ie. sick, injured, etc...)

Now the contract part I'm up in the air on... There are arguments for and against. The trippy part is I had friends who studied other styles, but I was unable to spar them or invite them to spar at the dojo (for the supervisory aspect). Now after a time I grew dissatisfied with my training as it seemed I had reached a point where I was no longer taught or encouraged, but those students who did favors or were "in" advanced regardless of skill.

Maybe I'm just imagining things or maybe I'm spot on. I'm just looking for information from other folks who may know either of the afomentioned teachers

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, JungFenrir. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Style
    wingchun ,greco and gnp
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    weird style name .......good luck though

wellcom to bullshido

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome. There are a lot of memebers in the TX area who can help you on your journey through the MA's.

Look for a Throwdown thread that has on in your area. Also Hedgehogey would be a good person to contact about these things.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it Join us... or die
    Style
    Improv comedy
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a difference between Bullshido and Mcdodjo though most Bullshido places are McDojo's

Your school may or may not be Bullshido

The not sparring anyone else however is usually a sign of Bullshido, as it pretects insecure teachers from having their students get their asses kicked and become dissatisfied

The fact that you are concerned and asking questions leads me to believe you already know the answer to your question.

Style
    mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't check this site much, but if you're still out there Jung send me a PM if you're still interested.

Style
    Kali Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bulshido its a great site

Style
    Won Hop Loong Chuan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're still asking, I studied under Sigung Walker during the split. Contact me if there's something I can help you answer.