Thread: Hello

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello

Hi I'm not too good at introductions but here goes...

My nickname is Barca and I'm 29 and female and have just started to learn BJJ in London where I reside.

I've done about 8 weeks of classes (not much) so I'm really at the beginning of my BJJ journey. I decided to become a member here as its called Bullshido - and I'm a massive fan of Bushido the code of the Samurai's... so I thought this forum was very apt...

If there are any BJJ practitioners on here, who don't mind answering some of my dumb questions, please speak up as I'm in dire need of finding some answers to the questions that perplex me about BJJ.

Cheers Barca :ninja7:

Style
    10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site and congrats for getting into BJJ. There are a pretty large number of people here (including me) who are grapplers and the more senior people (not including me) are generally very capable of answering questions you might have. Best of luck.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The majority of people here either do or have done BJJ or Judo. No shortage of grapplers on board.
    What sort of questions do you have?
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshido user Slideyfoot will no doubt make an appearance here very soon. Read the stuff he recommends and it will help you enormously. He has some of the best advice for new BJJers around.
    For the most part the best advice is to just relax. Things will make sense, you will progress, you get better every day even when it doesn't feel like it.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Style
    Student Jutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's Roger Gracie's place you train at you've probably seen Slidey in person.

He'll also tell you to come to a throwdown.

Welcome to Bullshido.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers all for the welcome all, very kind…

I ‘train’ at LFF, so haven’t encountered Mr Slideyfoot. I did look at RGA, but LFF is closer to my work hence why I go there.

My questions, they are more the subtle nuances of BJJ that you probably get to know with experience (which I am currently lacking)….

First and foremost, do I post them here, or find a thread that sounds similar and post them there? I’ll post them here and then if I get jogged on I’ll move them….

My BJJ related questions are this:

· Kimura locks – I’m very little, so have a problem holding the wrist to the ground. Should I be fighting to get the wrist on the ground using my brute strength (which is limited) or is there another technique I should be using here?…. Or is this the point I give up and go for a next move as K/Lock isn’t feasible?
    · Chokes – anything where peeps are reaching for my cartoid artery – should I be using the elbow escape? Is there anything (e.g type of grip) that would prevent this from working? Or can this escape be used everytime someone goes for the cartoid?
    · Double lapel grab choke – inexperience would tell me to grab both hands go for thumbs as they are the weak part… I have I got to bridge as I’m trying to pull the hands apart??
    · What are the total number of different positions a person hereby known as a ‘roller’ can attain? Side Mount, Guard, Mount, North and South – any more? Would Eddie Bravo’s Twister be considered a position or is that more a move?

If anyone can help me make sense of it, please chip in – ta muchly.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barca187 View Post
    Cheers all for the welcome all, very kind…

I ‘train’ at LFF, so haven’t encountered Mr Slideyfoot. I did look at RGA, but LFF is closer to my work hence why I go there.

My questions, they are more the subtle nuances of BJJ that you probably get to know with experience (which I am currently lacking)….

First and foremost, do I post them here, or find a thread that sounds similar and post them there? I’ll post them here and then if I get jogged on I’ll move them….

My BJJ related questions are this:

· Kimura locks – I’m very little, so have a problem holding the wrist to the ground. Should I be fighting to get the wrist on the ground using my brute strength (which is limited) or is there another technique I should be using here?…. Or is this the point I give up and go for a next move as K/Lock isn’t feasible?
    · Chokes – anything where peeps are reaching for my cartoid artery – should I be using the elbow escape? Is there anything (e.g type of grip) that would prevent this from working? Or can this escape be used everytime someone goes for the cartoid?
    · Double lapel grab choke – inexperience would tell me to grab both hands go for thumbs as they are the weak part… I have I got to bridge as I’m trying to pull the hands apart??
    · What are the total number of different positions a person hereby known as a ‘roller’ can attain? Side Mount, Guard, Mount, North and South – any more? Would Eddie Bravo’s Twister be considered a position or is that more a move?

If anyone can help me make sense of it, please chip in – ta muchly.
    Posting questions in your newbiethread will do just fine, though you'll generally get more exposure for technique related threads by posting in the Basic Technique Forum.

For Kimuras, to get the wrist to the ground I use my hands and my forehead. I generally put the hand closest to my opponents legs on their wrist, use my other hand to help me base and maintain my position, put my forehead flat on the back of my hand that is on their wrist, and use my bodyweight to pin the wrist to the mat, then complete the grip and finish the kimura. It takes some practice, but for little folks (Which I generally am) it's about the best way to pin the arm down.

I have no idea what you are talking about with your choke question. Against an RNC you want to get your shoulders on the mat and turn towards your opponent. You always want to move to the side that the choking arm is pointing when you do that.

Against the X-collar choke (double lapel grab choke), first don't let people get both hands on your collar. The earlier you start escaping a sub the easier it is. So step 1 is not to let them grab your collar at all, step 2 is not to let them grab with both hands. Step 3 is if they do grab with both hands you can tuck one hand across your chest, put your thumb in your collar and put your hand on top of theirs. That will buy you time to work on breaking their grip off. It's been so long since I had anyone get to that point that I can't off hand remember how I break the grips.

Total number of positions available? A billion. There are dozens of different guards and guard variations, half guard variations, different ways to hold side control, different ways to hold knee on belly, different ways to hold mount, different ways to take the back. Transitional positions like the omoplata position, the twister, all the 10th planet control positions, etc...

The basics are: Guard top and bottom, half guard and bottom bottom, side control top and bottom, knee on belly top and bottom, mount top and bottom, and back control top and bottom. Concentrate on knowing and being able to move through all of those first.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kintanon – thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. With regards to the Kimura with no resistance its happy days (unsurprisingly), however as soon as I start with resistance and the fact that I usually practice with people who are a good stone or two heavier than me, pinning the wrist is the difficult part. I’ll bear in mind what you have said.

With regards to the chokes – I wasn’t talking about the RNC, I was talking about when you have someone in your guard and they are reaching to do an Ezekiel (not sure if that is the correct name for it) but either way, they’ve got a forearm across your cartoid artery…. However thanks for the RNC defence tip (I haven’t learnt this one yet, so its filed for future reference, the boys in my class best be ready!!). Other tip is great too (X Lapel), going to have to figure it out and apply it though which may take some time, effort and a lot of swearing lol.

Positions – cheers!!! I will definitely stick to the basics, I just wanted to know definitively how many there were (of the basic ones) so I know I’m not missing anything.

Once again, thanks for the tips! You’ve saved me a few hours worth of Google trawling and frustration ta very muchly.

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!

Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Bullshido user Slideyfoot will no doubt make an appearance here very soon.
    I'm not online as much these days, but saw this thread. So, usual response:

You might find this BJJ Beginner FAQ useful, as a new student in BJJ.

As I mention in that FAQ, for further reading on BJJ, I'd recommend the following threads:

Training, Stagnation and Tapping

Maximizing what you get out of rolling

Protecting Yourself During Sparring

BJJ Rolling Guide for Beginners
    Grappling Basic Principles

Advice for Noobs

10 Quick Tips for White Belts

Realistic Goals for Beginners

First Day Lesson

Fundamental 5

Obvious Epiphanies

And the following articles:

Starting BJJ Classes
    Nuggets of Advice
    Beginning BJJ
    (free e-course and e-book)
    The Journey to Blue Belt

BJJ Grrl's Dos and Don'ts
    Getting Started

Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
    If it's Roger Gracie's place you train at you've probably seen Slidey in person.

He'll also tell you to come to a throwdown.
    Heh - the first isn't true anymore, as I've since moved home, so I'm currently training at Gracie Barra Birmingham. But yeah to the second: I tell everyone that. :icon_wink

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahh in the infamous Slideyfoot - many thanks for the links sir! I will definitely have a read....

I've read BJJ Grrl's blog - its a great blog, however I don't agree with all of her rules, but then I think that's a personal taste thing. Still, its very good nonetheless and I do browse it on the regs.

Cheers