--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newb and advice-seeking

Hello. I am seminew to martial arts and am seeking your advice.

By "seminew" I mean that I did a couple schools when I was a teenager and, looking back, I believe them to have been mostly BS moneytraps. I didn't know better. I didn't spent too much time at them, but I still feel like I wasted my time and I want to make up for it.

In any case, I'm looking into martial arts again and I want a fresh start, and this time I want to go into it with some idea of what the hell I'm looking for. Part of why I'm asking on this particular forum is because I don't want to be bullshitted again and so I wish the advice of people who make bullshit-detection their hobby/spectator sport.

I live in Redmond, WA and am looking for a good school and/or schools near me. I have varied interests. I'm both interested in both the practical and artistic sides of martial arts, and I'd like to be generally well-rounded. Muay Thai is of a personal interest to me, for no real good reason other than I simply like the look of it and what I've heard of it.

I've browsed these forums a little and gotten a few ideas on things to avoid, though there's some stuff I'm still unclear on so forgive me if I make newb assumptions.

Near me I've found a couple MMA schools, Team Eastside (http://www.sidekicksgym.com/) and AMC MMA (http://www.mmawizard.com/amc/). I'm not sure as to their quality, and at the moment I'm eyeing Team Eastside because it is (A) Nearer and (B) Cheaper (apparently, at least).

There's also a USSD place very near me. Doing a little looking around I've heard very, uh, mixed things on USSD places. I've taken a few tentative steps past their door, they seem nice, I asked a student I saw in a brown belt how long it took to get her belt and she said something like 3 1/2 years. I hear it depends largely on the instructor, but I don't know if my local USSD is one of the 'good' ones or not.

There is also an Aikido school near me (http://www.northwestnga.com/), a Shotokan Karate place (http://jskf.org , seems to currently be down), something called Jung Yae (http://www.jungyae.com/Home.html), and a Kyokushin Karate place (http://eastsidekyokushin.com), among others. There's also a smorgasbord of TKD places, but TKD just doesn't grab me; accusations of it sucking aside, I don't even care about those, I just don't find it personally compelling.

I'm planning to visit all of them and ask around at the very least, but if anyone has recommendations or other places to point me to, I'd greatly appreciate your advice.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AMC...nuf said.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about judo? You know "It's Cheap, and Widely Available"

Seattle claims the oldest judo dojo in the states.

http://www.seattledojo.org/about.htm

(I'm sure there are others, but Google threw me an easy one based on things I gleemed out of threads on judoforum.com)

I'm sure somebody else would have also posted Seattle Jujutsu

http://www.seattle-jujutsu.org/sombo.html

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aaron Fields is an asshole. That whole club sucks. I know this because his boyfriend told so.

His boyfriend is in the middle

Last edited by Omega; 2/28/2009 3:11am at .

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!

Quote Originally Posted by Warlocktopus View Post
    In any case, I'm looking into martial arts again and I want a fresh start [...]

I'm planning to visit all of them and ask around at the very least, but if anyone has recommendations or other places to point me to, I'd greatly appreciate your advice.
    First of all, I'd recommend you take a look at the FAQ on finding a good martial arts school. In general, signs to look for are a competitive record, regular heavy contact sparring and 'aliveness' (if you're unfamiliar with the term, Matt Thornton has a long article on the topic describing what it is and why it's important: he is the man most associated with popularising the concept).

If your interest is mainly in striking, the safest option if you want decent training is muay thai (which you'll also see as 'thai boxing'), along with martial arts like boxing and kyokushin karate. That's not to say there aren't good schools within other striking styles, but they tend to vary widely in quality.

If you're more interested in grappling, then BJJ would be an excellent choice, as the strong competitive element and ability-based ranking system generally results in high quality training. A cheaper option is judo, which is also much easier to find - the two styles are closely related, the main difference being that judo normally focuses on throws whereas BJJ is mostly about the ground. For more on judo, read the Bullshido.com article - there is an article on BJJ too (you could also check my BJJ Beginner FAQ). SAMBO is another good choice, but even harder to find than BJJ. Then there's wrestling, which is also great training for grappling.

Alternately, you could combine grappling and striking by cross-training in several arts, or at an MMA gym (though technically 'MMA' is a ruleset rather than a specific style). Examples of well known MMA gyms would be Team Quest and Miletich Fighting Systems.

Finally, you could try having a look through the dojo reviews section, which might yield something more specific to your area. Alternately, you could try a Google site search, either off the Google toolbar, or by typing site:www.bullshido.net into Google, followed by the area (i.e., site:www.bullshido.net london).

There are also several school databases you could try. For example, for BJJ:

TrainJiuJitsu.com
    Gym Database (BJJ, MMA etc)

Style
    Cambo/jujutsu/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, don't tell my wife, long distance relationships are tough enough....

Aaron Fields
    Sea-Town Sombo
    Seattle Jujutsu Club
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are interested in karate, the Kyokushin dojo from what I've heard here at BS, is a good one.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    KK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Aaron Fields is an asshole. That whole club sucks. I know this because his boyfriend told so.

His boyfriend is in the middle

Oh I never put that together. Omega, are you the one in red?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Oh I never put that together. Omega, are you the one in red?
    No, the guy in the middle is gay. I'm not that happy.:XXeyeslam

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    that picture is poorly framed.
    it makes them all appear to be wearing pants