Style
    Currently in Consideratio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fresh meat to the slaughter!

Hey all. I'm new to the forums, obviously. I stumbled upon this place while doing some research on the world-class charlatan: "Dr." Haha Lung.

I'm not practicing right now, unfortunately. I had, as a child, done some Karate/TKD training, but quit due to familial financial issues. Later on, I joined a local TKD dojo within walking distance, but it unfortunately closed down a month and a half after me joining.
    Now, as an adult, I'm looking to get back into the fighting arts. Unfortunately, a lot changes between prepubesence and adulthood, to a less than favorable degree. I might ask you guys for help on choosing an appropriate style if I can't find one on my own.

Style
    Bartitsu&German Longsword
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome, what kind of a style are you looking for?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's availible in your area?

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    What's availible in your area?
    I'm in Salisbury, Maryland; there's really not much here. I know of one Tai Chi specific place, Budokan dojo and an Isshinryu Dojo in the area. There's also three "major" dojos here too: Park's Martial Arts, Mitchell's Martial Arts and Black Belt World, but I think they're all McDojos.

(Park's Martial Arts Master's profile is spotty at best. It lists him getting his first dan black belt in only two years, and when he got his fourth dan black belt, but not his second or third. Mitchell's Martial Arts doesn't really list what they do other than Kenpo on their website, it simply lists "Adult's Programs" and "Kenpo Programs". Black Belt World is kind of iffy just from the name alone.)

Granted, I wouldn't be adverse to driving say to Pokomoke City, Seaford, Bridgeville or even Dover for training. I even noticed a place in Baltimore that offers Baguazhang, which seems to interest me a bit. Unfortunately, the gas and toll make that trip more than once a week an impossibility.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    Welcome, what kind of a style are you looking for?
    Well, I was looking for something that is not only a fighting system, but will help with my endurance and flexibility. Both of which are "piss poor" at best. So far, Hapkido supplemented by Karate seems to be my best bet so far when it comes to that; but I've been toying with the idea of taking up Tai Chi, or Xingyi, if I can find it.

Thing is, I've broken my right arm (elbow, specifically) three times in the past decade (All compound fractures. One open, two closed), so I'm kind of tentative about being slammed down or thrown into an Armbar. I'm looking at MMA, BJJ and the like with a wary gaze.
    Also, having developed sciatica in my left leg, it's kind of atrophied in the fitness department. It's noticably weaker and less flexible than my right leg, and I find myself specifically focusing on it when I do work out. This also comes with the double-edged sword of having spikes of pain shoot up my left leg at inopportune times. I've done some things to stymy it; popping OTC painkillers mostly, but I find them to be more of a hindrance than anything.
    I hate sounding like I whine though. I'm willing to put my all into it to try and overcome these two obstacles in my training.