Sponsored Links Spacer Image

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 12:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    As for Thai cinema in general, Jeeja Yanin and Dan Chupon are both good, but I don't think they have the same level of physical prowess that makes Jaa so entertaining to watch. We'll see what movies BaaRamEwe comes out with in the future, but I don't know if they'll be as successful without their big draw.
    I haven't forgiven Chupon for Tabanfire/Dynamite Warrior......

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 12:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: RBSD, Muay Thai,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope Tony Jaa comes back just because Jeeja Yanin is so small. Jaa looks the part of an action star. He'd be great in Hollywood if he's english was as good as Jet Lee or Jackie Chan. Their english isn't great but they pass with their physical skill set. Prachya Pinkaew is supposedly to direct a movie with Dwayne Johnson. We shall see if can can survive without Jaa.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:52am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh. He seemed to be kind of a one trick pony anyway.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 2:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Meh. He seemed to be kind of a one trick pony anyway.
    I don't get this at all.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 2:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe his next flick will be an action movie about meditating, chanting, and collecting alms.

Things will really pick up when a longtail macaque steals a Buddha image, which leads to a 30 minute chase across rooftops. This will also be the only high speed part of the movie.

I also envision a scene where the joss sticks topple over, and he accidentally touches boobies, but that will be early on.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 4:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    I don't get this at all.
    The Protector was Ong Bak with elephants.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 4:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most martial arts movie actors are, to some degree, one trick ponies. Der even had a posting alluding to this referencing Jackie Chan and Jet Li.

Donnie Yen does a pretty solid job of trying new ****, which is why I like him. Tony Jaa, when he burst out with Ong Bak was pretty new and exciting and he tried some new stuff with Ong Bak 2.....it just turned out to be **** all confusing.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ong Bak 2 was almost entirely like Crank, only without the guns and Bai Ling getting hit by vehicles. This puts Crank a bit higher on my list of "marathon action" movies.

Note*
    my earlier monk idea inspired me to do a comic strip about a monk in zazen. Every 2 or 3 panels he either sighs, or sneezes, and gets back to his zazen.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 5:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Admittedly, it spanned a much longer career than Jah's, but Jackie Chan has been through a lot of changes and redfined himself several times. From traditional kung fu movies, to his cop/police story roles, back to traditional kung fu, to Hollywood. Compare him to someon like JCVD. JCVD had this great, (sort of) orginal, genre defining film in Bloodsport, and went steadily downhill from there.

I can't deny your point, Snake, but to me, Jah's first couple movies seemed to be all the same. That's not to say that he wouldn't/won't have ended up with a career more like Chan's, but so far his career seemed headed more towards a JCVD trajectory.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 6:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Admittedly, it spanned a much longer career than Jah's, but Jackie Chan has been through a lot of changes and redfined himself several times. From traditional kung fu movies, to his cop/police story roles, back to traditional kung fu, to Hollywood.
    True.
    Good point.
    Looking back I see really two Chans: the clown and the guy that made stuff like Police Story.
    Offhand, I can think of The Myth where he tried to meld the two but usually I find myself disliking Jackie Chan movies more then liking them.
    The last Chan film I recall liking was the last Police Story, other then that, I haven't liked many Chan films.

Compare him to someon like JCVD. JCVD had this great, (sort of) orginal, genre defining film in Bloodsport, and went steadily downhill from there.
    I recall within a couple of months span watching Bloodsport and Above the Law in the theatres and thinking "this **** is fucking awesome".....each movie Van Damme and Segal made progressively sucked harder. Van Damme managed a few decent films but more bad then good.

I had the same thought with Jeff Speakman in Perfect Weapon and then the guy's health prevents him from making more movies like that.

I can't deny your point, Snake, but to me, Jah's first couple movies seemed to be all the same. That's not to say that he wouldn't/won't have ended up with a career more like Chan's, but so far his career seemed headed more towards a JCVD trajectory.
    I still agree with the "he went bugshit crazy" and hopefully this evens him out. He needs to do it soon as he is nearly 40 or something so he will need to get it going.

I have been digging on Jackie Wu Jing's films of late. Guy can't act for nothing but he demonstrates some nice filmwork.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12