Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:37am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DayOfTheJackass View Post
    so whats so wrong with double underhooks?
    You should try for at least 4.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading the first page:

Do you lift? I am 180, train in MMA, and when I did bounce occassionally there was no problem with me taking out or holding down bigger guys if it came to it (though I did mostly and believe it is better to be able to talk people down).

Moslty wrestling is better than striking. A drunk can take a few hits and keep moving, add to that that most people do not have KO power. Add to that that YOUR BAR got them drunk, you have a responsibility to not just brawl them if possible (sometimes it cant be avoided obviously though).

You should really be throwing/launching these guys away, jab/cross should be followed by a shove, takedown, push, or hold. When dealing one one one, pin them down, knee on face works good, or choke em out!
    Dealing with mulitples, keep throwing/shoving them out the door, its about moving these bastards out of the bar property. If it gets really wild the cops will be there soon anyway. Normally they calm down once they are finally off the property.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:49am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    You should try for at least 4.
    Emevas' multiple opponent strategies win again!

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 3:55am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as the grappling goes, it is a good idea to grapple over striking them. Throws/takedowns will keep them busy until they wear out.

On one occassion I had one guy in a 1 armed RNC and his buddy in a 1 arm guillotine. Just squeeze, tell them to relax, and ease up a bit as their reward when they relax (not too much though obviously!)

You need to multitask.

Lastly, one year of training is better then nothing, but you are no skilled guy by far yet, sorry, not a dig at you, just the truth.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 9:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    speaking of common sense, did you get your training from youtube videos?
    No.

Obviously this guy is a "bouncer" and should be acting responsibly and within the law. Me personally, i don't pick fights, and in a boxing match, mma fight i would nicely get my ass handed to me. If in a situation where i could walk away, i will, and if the other person is much bigger and stronger, ill run for the exit if need be. But if in a situation which i can't get out, and the other person is much bigger and stronger, from experience trying to box yourself out of the situation usually ends quite miserably. Therefor now, i wouldn't hesitate to use an improvised weapon, or quickly strike the groin area, its your best chance of resolving something quickly. If the attack has friends, im not going to stick around and show off some jujitsu style submissions, im going to do the most agressive thing i can, to a vunerable area, as fast as i can, and get myself to safety. I don't want to get thrown and hit my head on the concrete floor and end up with perminant brain damage, the longer your in a fight in the real world, the more likely that is to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DayOfTheJackass View Post
    so whats so wrong with double underhooks?
    When bar stools and glasses are flying, i generally like to keep something free to protect my head.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 10:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar View Post
    What exactly were you thinking about when you first postulated this theory?

I don't think there's a good answer.
    Probably about how much better my grades would have been in junior high if my dick was the size of my forearm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 10:34am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    I'll bet you your whole pay check :P
    **** that **** then. I value my money goddamn it.

:)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 1:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    So you had admit to having one fight 13 years ago where you didn't want to hurt each other and I'm the ignorant one? I have more experience in this area than you have spent time on a computer.
    The fact that i avoid situations where i expect trouble makes me dumb. gotcha, tough guy.

The OP was not outclassed, he was not beat, he asked for advice on an effective martial art for his profession and I suggested judo. You are a moron with a moron's reading comprehension.
    My read of the OP was that if the cops hadn't arrived quickly, he was concerned about how things would have turned out. He wasn't able to dominate an opponent as he expected to. If i misread this, than i am a moron with a moron's reading comprehension, obviously!

I agree with your recommendation of judo. However, i feel that you are hyperbolic in reacting to the ideas of "redirecting energy" and "hitting soft spots" and i find that to be rampant on bullshido. i expect it, but did and will continue to point it out from time to time when it detracts from an argument instead of adding. These phrases do not always correspond with throwing ki fireballs or doing one-finger-death-touches.

First off, I train judo. I have also trained many other arts. You are "redirecting energy" in judo, but it is rare to describe it as such, you are more likely to hear the description "breaking balance" (kuzushi). "Redirecting energy and hitting soft spots" is more commonly heard in Aikido, Hapkido and a variety of other arts that have a proven record of bullshido. If you think that you will be able to aim for any of that **** you claimed in a fight, especially with no training, you are an idiot. The OP hit a high percentage area more than a few times, you suggest hitting his ribs, throat, kidneys and small joints. I repeat, you are an idiot.
    You claim it's rare to describe kuzushi as redirecting energy. I would assert that it may be rare these days, particularly in clubs that focus on competition within weight classes. If you refer back to professor Kano, you will see him expressing judo efficiency as adding your own strength to an opponents, and using this to break their balance. Kuzushi IS, in part, redirecting energy. Of course, it also involves take advantage of your opponents reflexes and expectations; but if you call me an idiot for defending a term, i have to question whether its your understanding of judo that sucks, or your understanding of language.

As for hitting soft spots, i stand by my aversion to relying on strikes. i've seen countless videos of people whaling on each others' faces to no immediate avail. I'm sure that when the adrenaline clears, they'll feel it. There hands will also likely be bruised or broken. Submissions seem, to me, to be a more effective tool in stopping altercations. Control someone, and if they don't placate, turn it up a bit. If, in the process of wresting control, you can distract or soften them up by striking them in joints or soft (meaning tissue rather than bone) areas, it may help you manipulate them into submission. I do NOT advocate trying to snipe attacks in at small moving targets. [/quote]

If someone is telling someone else that MMA, which encompasses clinch and takedown as well as ground and standup, is not as good as "redirecting energy and hitting soft spots", then they are talking bullshido. If they were saying judo, they would have said judo.
    I never claimed that MMA is "not as good as" anything else. I argued that a) redirecting energy and hitting soft spots are not bullshido concepts; and, b) joint or choke submissions seem more reliable than going for the KO in lots of situations.

I would assert that OP tried to dance in a striking game with someone bringing a hundred pounds more muscle to the dance. This was a foolish application of MMA concepts. He may have done will to attempt a throw, if he has knowledge of something better than shooting in for a double-leg takedown. Big guys bring more mass to their motion; that's more energy to redirect!

When i say Judo, i mean redirecting someone's energy in such a way that they move how I want them to rather than how THEY want to move. Vertical or horizontal, that's the bulk of what i'm trying to do. If i train to use my strength to oppose theirs, i'll never have much luck against someone with a hundred pounds of muscle on me.

You like to think alot, don't you, wonky? Until you put it into practice you are pissing in the wind. STFU, lurk more and post less.
    i do like to think a lot. for instance, at this point i think you're an angry little warrior who gets all butt-hurt when your online bravado seems challenged by someone who should lurk more and post less.

you should think more and bitch less.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 4:30pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO do Judo. It's been proven time and again that Judo works. MT clinch work and kicks ARE good,that's something nobody can dispute, but in a situation like this, Judo throws and holds will help.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 4:51pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'll be the only one here telling you not to do judo.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112 LastLast