• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 9:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a brief moment I thought this was a tactical discussion on MMA in a ring versus a cage and what is more suited to contemporary competition.

Then I looked at the thread title again and was quite upset.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 2:18pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ESVABURNOUT View Post
    Let me start off by saying I'm new to the forum and I plan on sticking around and to get on topic- I been in plenty of street fights but am strongly considering picking up the art of Kar-Do-Jitsu-Ryu (to avoid an argument of it being considered "bullshido" on this forum an amateur did win an MMA tournament for this region and it definitely wouldn't be my first choice, if I had one, but it's the only dojo within a 60 mile radius so I'm kind of on stuck until I get out of this hell hole.)

Anyway to prevent from rambling more and defending something I know nothing about- What differs from a street fight to a bout in the ring?
    The main difference between the street and the ring is the ring is there for a fair fight. In the street it comes down more to luck. There's a million more differences that can be pointed out but they should be pretty obvious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 3:12pm

Style: jiu jitsu, kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 5:32pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    Rules and gloves.
    You forgot AIDS needles and lava.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 6:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    You forgot AIDS needles and lava.
    and the dangerous minorities firing their guns all sideways, and the roid raging redneck bodybuilding MMA fighter that's why I stay in mom's basement and train Wing Chun online

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 6:51pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ESVABURNOUT View Post
    Karate-Judo-Jujitsu-Ryu - I figure it's a good base, if taught right, until I can get to a straight art for lack of a better word.

Another option around the area is Karate Warriors Gym/Dojo ran by Elton Trower. It also offers self defense, kickboxing, exercise and weight lifting.

And the only (other?) Judo option is once a week at the local YMCA.

EDIT: Eastern Shore of Virginia (23442)- It's a new site; I'm not sure what's up with the locations.
    I guess I'll have to go view my options and talk to the kickboxing teacher there.
    How old are you? if you're high school age, Join your schools wrestling team.

All these wacky Martial arts made by Asians make you soft and a little ***** because you're all passive. You start respecting people and taking your time doing things.

Join your schools wrestling team and you become a winner.

Other than that, I can't tell you about fighting on the street.
    Last edited by shotfghter; 5/31/2010 7:01pm at .

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 9:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    How old are you? if you're high school age, Join your schools wrestling team.

All these wacky Martial arts made by Asians make you soft and a little ***** because you're all passive. You start respecting people and taking your time doing things.

Join your schools wrestling team and you become a winner.

Other than that, I can't tell you about fighting on the street.
    I don't think he's gay matey.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 9:08pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i suggest whatever else you end up doing you supplement it with an adult judo class, even if once a week
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 9:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pending

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    How old are you? 20.
    And thanks for the advice. If you're a good boxer in the street after some training for more precise and proficient hits plus additional ground game would the same tactics apply? I'm not delusional to the point where I believe in five years I'll be in the UFC or believe I'll be on their level, but I know after some training I'll be able to hold my own in a ring/cage. Basically a fight is a fight; correct?
    Last edited by ESVABURNOUT; 5/31/2010 9:22pm at .

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 9:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly, a fight is a fight. Which is why people who do well in the ring/cage also do well on the street. They also fight more often than most people who are just "Streetfighters" so they have more practice, so they are usually much better at it.
    A "good boxer" on the street probably has about my level of striking, which is shitty. If you go to a real boxing gym, or an MMA or Muay Thai gym you'll most likely get completely tooled in the standup. For an example see Kimbo Slice, a notable street fighter with great striking "for the street" who got completely demolished the first time he ran into a reasonably competent fighter. And every other time except against Houston Alexander who he outgrappled bizarrely.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast