Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Gentlemen.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gentlemen.

I am JakeDDrake. That is all.

Actually, that's not all. The friendly reminder told me to introduce myself (and hasn't stopped since I signed up), so I might as well.

Name's Jake, I draw and I write. I'm not particularly athletic, but I can run when I need to. I'm currently in Bermuda on a traveler's visa, lounging on beaches and enjoying the sunshine, living off of the goodwill of my parents (as most pre-college art students do). I will be returning to Canada at the end of my visa, and perhaps actually joining a Martial Arts School (for once). I joined this website in hopes of learning which I should start practicing. I'm starting to lean towards a Northern Style of Kung Fu, since from my understanding it caters more towards my pre-existing muscle (i.e. legs), though I'm willing to hear why other styles of Martial Arts are superior/inferior. Please note that I'm not planning on getting into it competitively, so MMA is not an option.

Other than that, you get the idea, I don't need to go on any longer about myself, I'd much prefer to start posting.
    Last edited by JakeDDrake; 6/07/2010 2:06pm at . Reason: Formatting was shit, due to Javascript being disabled. w00t.

Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum Jake. I have had a taste of a few Martial Arts. I never progressed in any of them. I can tell you that for the most part they all start the same. Basic strikes, blocks, and kicks. Then you start LARPing. That means KATA. For me, it did absolutely nothing. I am currently inactive, but searching for someone to help me out with an MMA type training. I am choosing this because it's good contact in 2 important areas:
    1. Stand up fighting/defense
    2. Ground fighting/defense

I'm 45 years old and definitely don't plan on going into competition, but I still would prefer more realistic training. MMA to me is as close as you can get to good physical combat training. Traditional styles as taught nowadays just aren't practical.

I highly recommend you browse through this forum and ask questions to those that actually train in the various disciplines. I gave my two cents, but those already in the know can give you a lot more than I can :thumbsup:

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeDDrake View Post
    since from my understanding it caters more towards my pre-existing muscle (i.e. legs)
    If training doesn't change your body, then it's a waste of your fucking time.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there Jake.

I suppose the first question is "Why do you want to train in martial arts?"

If the answer is fitness, then I suggest trying out various KF schools and seeing which one gives you the best workout. A small sweat after a few forms/katas really isn't a workout....at least to most of us. The best one for fitness I've found (that isn't very competitive) would be Capoeira. Insane cardio, great flexibility and overall fun times (plus the ladies, never forget the ladies).

If your answer is to learn to defend yourself should the need ever arise, then I'd say make sure your KF school trains in a very ALIVE manner. By this I mean sparring beyond 1 or 2 movements. By this I mean your opponent is trying to take you down and you're trying to take your opponent down. Search youtube for Mike Thornton's video on "aliveness." Only by training in an alive manner can you learn what it is to fight.

Now the majority of KF schools won't train in this manner. Some do, but you gotta dig. For the most alive martial arts, look at what the MMA fighters use: BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, Boxing, etc. These are arts that train with aliveness and will train you to defend yourself.

That being said, welcome to Bullshido.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [edit] Intended for Kelvis

I thank you for the reply, and will definitely take into account your advice!

I'm neutral towards the idea of Katas. They seem to be more for "show" than any real experience, but I'm sure they must be useful for something. I'll have to ask the teacher when I'm into whatever it is I do. I remember watching a documentary on a Chinese martial arts association, which was (in essence) gymnastics with weapons. I guess you could have a career in movies if you got into good-looking Katas, eh? :lol:

To be perfectly honest, the only deciding factor for me will be the price of any given Dojo or place of learning. I'm going to be moving into my own house/dorm for college and part-time working minimum wage during courses, which leaves me little time for practicing a given style. That's really the only thing barring me from getting into something professionally (that, and my art, which consumes an ass-load of my time)

I suppose MMA would be an okay thing to get into, provided I had enough time and energy to put into it. If and when I can find the time, I would definitely consider it.
    Last edited by JakeDDrake; 6/07/2010 3:16pm at . Reason: Intended for Kelvis. Maybe I should hit "quote" next time, a durrr.

Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can definitely understand the cost thing. As I stated before, I tried a few different TMA and they didn't do a lot for me. You have to go with your heart. I was always told that KATA is a fight between you and an imaginary opponent. Sorry, but I've never been hit by an imaginary punch. You can KATA all day, but until someone really hits you, you don't know how to react.
    Check your College, the Yellow Pages, and the YMCA and see what's available. I still say reality is the way to go, but you do what's in your heart, and enjoy it.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danniboi07 View Post
    Hi there Jake.

I suppose the first question is "Why do you want to train in martial arts?"

If the answer is fitness, then I suggest trying out various KF schools and seeing which one gives you the best workout. A small sweat after a few forms/katas really isn't a workout....at least to most of us. The best one for fitness I've found (that isn't very competitive) would be Capoeira. Insane cardio, great flexibility and overall fun times (plus the ladies, never forget the ladies).

If your answer is to learn to defend yourself should the need ever arise, then I'd say make sure your KF school trains in a very ALIVE manner. By this I mean sparring beyond 1 or 2 movements. By this I mean your opponent is trying to take you down and you're trying to take your opponent down. Search youtube for Mike Thornton's video on "aliveness." Only by training in an alive manner can you learn what it is to fight.

Now the majority of KF schools won't train in this manner. Some do, but you gotta dig. For the most alive martial arts, look at what the MMA fighters use: BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, Boxing, etc. These are arts that train with aliveness and will train you to defend yourself.

That being said, welcome to Bullshido.

I believe the main reason I would like to learn a Martial Art would be to get fit again. At 6'0 and 230 pounds, I'm not overweight to an *extreme*, but I really wouldn't mind being back to my usual 200-190 range, (as I was two years ago, before mitigating circumstances led me to becoming a lazy mess of a person.) I'm not going to let that be an excuse for me any longer.

Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't like help with self defense, either. Growing up with the intent to be an artist did invite unwarranted anger from some people ("hurr durr art is for fags, etc."), which led to more than a few fights in highschool. Learning in an alive manner would be great, and because it would probably offer the best workout, seems to be

I know there's a few different Dojos in my area, most of which offer different styles of martial arts (Jujitsu, Taekwondo and Karate Dojos to name a few, as well as a boxing ring that teaches MMA, Kickboxing and regular Boxing.) None of which are McDojos, from what I understand.

I'm just interested in Kung-Fu do to a referral from one of my good friends, who recently got his Black Sash/Belt (whichever system they use), after 5-6 years of training in Long Fist. But I'm more than willing to join any style, provided I have the cash and time to.

Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to train a Chinese Martial Art for condition, fun and "self-defense", I would suggest SANDA/SANSHOU

While original just a ruleset that was created for interstyle Kung-Fu competitions, nowadays there are a lot of CMA clubs which primairly style is Sanda/Sanshou (not to confuse with Sansoo, which is a bad made-up karate/kung-Fu style).

Sanda resembles Muay Thai with Judo throws.
    - so you can be sure that you get a decent work-ouk
    - learn a Combat Sport that you can use to defend yourself with
    - still be doing a Chinese Martial Art

YouTube- Kung Fu Sanda Sanshou

YouTube- Sanda

Have fun, train safe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    If you want to train a Chinese Martial Art for condition, fun and "self-defense", I would suggest SANDA/SANSHOU

While original just a ruleset that was created for interstyle Kung-Fu competitions, nowadays there are a lot of CMA clubs which primairly style is Sanda/Sanshou (not to confuse with Sansoo, which is a bad made-up karate/kung-Fu style).

Sanda resembles Muay Thai with Judo throws.
    - so you can be sure that you get a decent work-ouk
    - learn a Combat Sport that you can use to defend yourself with
    - still be doing a Chinese Martial Art
    Have fun, train safe
    Thanks for the advice. In fact, now that I think of it, one of the dojos in my area trains people in Sanshou (no, not Sansoo :lol:) which offers weekend courses, so I'll definitely have to take a look at it. I've been interested in learning more about Taoist philosophy, which was a reason for me to join Kung Fu as well (being a Buddhist who's finally celebrating his 2nd year of practice. Make as many "new-age, tree-hugging artfag" jokes as you please :toothy9:)

Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeDDrake View Post
    Thanks for the advice. In fact, now that I think of it, one of the dojos in my area trains people in Sanshou (no, not Sansoo :lol:) which offers weekend courses, so I'll definitely have to take a look at it. I've been interested in learning more about Taoist philosophy, which was a reason for me to join Kung Fu as well (being a Buddhist who's finally celebrating his 2nd year of practice. Make as many "new-age, tree-hugging artfag" jokes as you please :toothy9:)
    There are a lot of Buddhist here, so don't expect many "new-age, tree-hugging artfag" jokes. Hope you aren't dissapointed now.

But Buddhism or any other form of moral code/religion should not be trained/learned in a Martial Arts club. There are other places better suited for that.
    A Martial Arts club will learn you two things: how to fight/defend yourself and humility (from getting your ass handed out to you on a regular base).

Have fun, train safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Page 1 of 3 123 Last