221926 Bullies, 4136 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 229
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Kintanon is offline
    Kintanon's Avatar

    Yes, I am smarter than you are.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683

    Posted On:
    5/30/2010 9:05pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They also tell you specifically to think for yourself, do your research, and be informed.
  2. HereBeADragon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Inland Empire, California
    Posts
    1,151

    Posted On:
    5/30/2010 9:17pm


     Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    I fail to see the problem with this.
    There are a lot of bullshit diet products out there. Should we conclude that weight loss is bullshit?

    There are a lot of bullshit muscle gaining products out there. Should we conclude that gaining muscle mass is bullshit?

    Thats the flaw in their argument in that case. They discredited detox products and thus concluded that detoxing itself is bullshit. Its flawed logic.
  3. Petter is offline

    12th level logic wielder

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,964

    Posted On:
    5/30/2010 9:38pm


     Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    There are a lot of bullshit diet products out there. Should we conclude that weight loss is bullshit?

    There are a lot of bullshit muscle gaining products out there. Should we conclude that gaining muscle mass is bullshit?

    Thats the flaw in their argument in that case. They discredited detox products and thus concluded that detoxing itself is bullshit. Its flawed logic.
    The problem is not so much with your argument as with your choice of example, since there’s little if any evidence—none that I know of—that any “detox” product or program has any merit. The word “toxin” in the “detox” context does not refer so much to anything a toxicologist would recognise as to something better described as “bad karma”, “negative ju-ju”, or “chi constipation”.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
  4. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,335

    Posted On:
    5/30/2010 9:41pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    There are a lot of bullshit diet products out there. Should we conclude that weight loss is bullshit?

    There are a lot of bullshit muscle gaining products out there. Should we conclude that gaining muscle mass is bullshit?

    Thats the flaw in their argument in that case. They discredited detox products and thus concluded that detoxing itself is bullshit. Its flawed logic.
    You're not hearing me.

    1) It's the diet/muscle gaining/detox product manufacturer's responsibility to demonstrate that their products do something beneficial. That's where the burden of proof lies.

    2) "Weight loss" is bullshit, but fat loss and muscle mass gain are well-defined goals with established benefits. The uncertainty is in the methods used to reach those goals. "Detoxing", however, has no meaning outside of the world of chemical addiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
  5. HereBeADragon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Inland Empire, California
    Posts
    1,151

    Posted On:
    5/30/2010 9:51pm


     Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    You're not hearing me.

    1) It's the diet/muscle gaining/detox product manufacturer's responsibility to demonstrate that their products do something beneficial. That's where the burden of proof lies.

    2) "Weight loss" is bullshit, but fat loss and muscle mass gain are well-defined goals with established benefits. The uncertainty is in the methods used to reach those goals. "Detoxing", however, has no meaning outside of the world of chemical addiction.
    Your right and I am not arguing for detoxing I am using it as an example only because its the last episode I remember seeing. My argument is not that detoxing is or is not bullshit its that their argument is flawed logic and thus itself bullshit. You cannot state that detoxing is bullshit and then back up that statement by showing that bullshit detox products are sold. Its as flawed as saying that because there are people in the martial arts who cannot defend themselves then all martial arts are useless.
  6. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,967

    Posted On:
    5/30/2010 9:52pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    There are a lot of bullshit diet products out there. Should we conclude that weight loss is bullshit?

    There are a lot of bullshit muscle gaining products out there. Should we conclude that gaining muscle mass is bullshit?

    Thats the flaw in their argument in that case. They discredited detox products and thus concluded that detoxing itself is bullshit. Its flawed logic.
    Yup....Don't listen to those other guys. They're Canadians.:deadhorse
  7. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,335

    Posted On:
    5/30/2010 9:58pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    You cannot state that detoxing is bullshit and then back up that statement by showing that bullshit detox products are sold.
    Depends on the products you choose. If you pick a representative sample, that's adequate support for a more specific claim - namely, "don't use detox products".
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
  8. HereBeADragon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Inland Empire, California
    Posts
    1,151

    Posted On:
    5/30/2010 10:02pm


     Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Depends on the products you choose. If you pick a representative sample, that's adequate support for a more specific claim - namely, "don't use detox products".
    Again correct but not the claim Pen and Teller were making. If they were saying that detox products are bullshit than that would be correct and they would have proven their point with their argument. They however were using the example you just laid out to say that detoxing itself is bullshit. Which doesn't work with that example.
  9. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,335

    Posted On:
    5/30/2010 10:04pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you familiar with the story behind the name of their show?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
  10. HereBeADragon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Inland Empire, California
    Posts
    1,151

    Posted On:
    5/30/2010 10:05pm


     Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't say that I am.
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.