Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 9:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    jesus christ you getting mugged by rhinos? Move.
    I own a 1911 and a S&W 686, so I've got all the conventional situations covered. I like this for the novelty of course, and the concept of "point and shoot" aiming in a high stress situation.

I mean, if it turns out to be crappy for self defense, it'll be a fun range gun.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 3:22am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread peaked my in this weapon, and I thought it was a promising concept, until I saw this video
    YouTube- Shooting a Public Defender
    The 000 buck pattern seems pretty wild. I would be wary of using it as a self defense weapon with that round (.45LC or .410 slugs would be different story). But if you just want one to blow stuff up, go for it.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 6:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will simply say again two things about this weapon....

1. Most EVERY gunfight takes place at a distance of 7 feet or less. This firearm is likely the best personal firearm for the real distances people find themselves in.

2. Yes, 410 shot over a large distance will do what .410 shot will do. However, there are rounds now made especially for this firearm. The "verdict" is one example:

http://hoeningbigboresouth.com/410Verdict.html

There are even more rounds on their way which look equally interesting.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith View Post
    This thread peaked my in this weapon, and I thought it was a promising concept, until I saw this video
    YouTube- Shooting a Public Defender
    The 000 buck pattern seems pretty wild. I would be wary of using it as a self defense weapon with that round (.45LC or .410 slugs would be different story). But if you just want one to blow stuff up, go for it.
    Again, this is what I'm trying to avoid. Most threads on the weapon are all based on speculation, not personal experience. I've read literally thousands of posts on various gun forums, and I'd say roughly 1% boiled down to people that have owned and operated the weapon, and the rest was either those who bought into hype or those that hated anything made by Taurus. Additionally, mosts of these posts come from an era prior to specifically manufactured 410 self defense ammo, which would be why I listed my question asking if people had any experience with said rounds.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 10:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Again, this is what I'm trying to avoid. Most threads on the weapon are all based on speculation, not personal experience. I've read literally thousands of posts on various gun forums, and I'd say roughly 1% boiled down to people that have owned and operated the weapon, and the rest was either those who bought into hype or those that hated anything made by Taurus. Additionally, mosts of these posts come from an era prior to specifically manufactured 410 self defense ammo, which would be why I listed my question asking if people had any experience with said rounds.
    Point taken, sorry to derail.

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 11:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Mtripp; 5/30/2010 11:24am at .
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 12:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm all for exchanging ideas, but I don't want to clutter-up Emevas' thread anymore with theoretical discussion that he specifically asked we not do. If you'd like to further convince me, please PM, but be aware that I may argue strongly against you.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 12:21pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can you rent one somewhere?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 12:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith View Post
    I'm all for exchanging ideas, but I don't want to clutter-up Emevas' thread anymore with theoretical discussion that he specifically asked we not do. If you'd like to further convince me, please PM, but be aware that I may argue strongly against you.
    In as much as its his thread, and my posts are directed to him not you, why not let him decide if I am helping or not?

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 2:51pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've fired one twice, same gun 2 different occasions, and it's a fun gun to shoot. But it's too damn heavy and bulky to carry every single day without wanting a break, and the person that owns the weapon I'm speaking of has tried and usually ends up reverting to a Glock 26. I understand what Mark is saying about how it's well suited to 7 yards shooting, but it still doesn't hold up IMO. I'll explain...

1. The Taurus Judge line is a bunch of HUGE revolvers that would be extremely uncomfortable to carry. Trying to carry one every single day consistently would almost undoubtedly be very difficult and it's quite possible that MOST shooters would stop carrying one for something more lightweight.

2. What MTripp is saying makes plenty of sense, but I think there might be more thinking to do before buying the weapon. In the arguments against Wing Chun and Aikido, people criticize practitioners for settling for enough skill to take on somebody untrained. In my argument against the Judge, I criticize being satisfied with 7 yard performance in a similar way. Just because most unarmed attackers aren't trained doesn't mean that you should train only for fighting the untrained, and just because most armed confrontations take place within 7-15 yards doesn't mean that you should only train and have a weapon suited to 7-15 yards.

EDIT: Just sort of came to me that I do need to take into account where I live compared to where Mr. Tripp lives. I know there's a huge difference between the weather of Phoenix, AZ and the weather pretty much anywhere in MI, so it may be easier for somebody to carry something so bulky in less heat.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast