Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 2:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke mine completely in half. It was displaced and they used that butterfly brace for about a month. They took a couple of x-rays along the way to make sure it was healing correctly. When they tool the butterfly brace off, I had perfect alignment. I do have a little knot on there where the calcium deposit grew around the fracture.

I had no loss in strength or ability after healing. My max bench press after healing was 405lbs. I am currently 235lbs and can do about 30 dips, pull ups, and hundreds of pushups.

So I would think that if it heals properly, you will not have any residuals. But that proper healing is a big deal.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 3:44pm

Style: MT/BJJ/JKD/FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a fracture in my left clavicle which was left for a day, as I'm an idiot - the hospital told me I would be fit for training in five weeks, whilst my GP told me to wait three months. I went back in about two weeks, and pulled all left arm shots during pad work - five weeks after the incident, I started sparring again and rolling at 100%. No permanent strength or flexibility loss, the bone aligned properly but I do have a little lump right on the fracture point.

I spent the weeks I was off sleeping as much as I could, drinking tons of milk and eating tons of oily fish. I usually sleep on my left side, so I forced myself to sleep on my right side by wedging myself in with pillows. As previous posters have said, the healing period is absolutely critical.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 7:00pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, after around a month in with the sling, my shoulder is no longer displaced. I do have a rather big lump on the shoulder where my clavicle was broken but I think that's awesome because I also have a huge scar on my right arm - the bony mass completes the symmetry in some sort of sick way. I heard that never goes away.

I'm meeting back with the doc on June 22nd and if all is well I should finally be able to get rid of this stupid sling. I've been removing it to WoW and write on the computer because with one hand I felt it was really stupid. I just rest my elbow on my leg, which is on the arm rest to give me more height, and try my damnest not to move my shoulder.

I haven't been trying to move my shoulder because the orthopedist said not to, so I can't even raise my arm above shoulder level and the muscles around the clavicle feel weak as cute kittens. Atrophy is fun stuff, can't wait to work on it.

Fun thing with orthopedic stuff like casts and slings, it really sucks at first then it becomes routine to wear them and it doesn't seem to suck anymore then. It sure did suck to have my mom dress me the first week though.

As for sleeping, I usually sleep on the back or on my right side. So no problems there!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 11:27pm

Style: Bartitsu&German Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The x-rays for my right shoulder were evaluated Tuesday and I was surprised to learn that the pain was from arthritic bony spurs on the clavicle, humerus and scapula that are impinging soft tissue. I fractured my right clavicle many years ago playing hockey and have an arthritic spur at the mend point, but that particular spur doesn't cause very much pain.

I will start with physical therapy next week, then steroids if PT doesn't work, then surgery to remove the spurs as a final option. I'm 50, so I would rather have surgery in a year or two before my regeneration processes slow down too much.

The good news is that I don't have a torn rotator cuff or torn ligaments, so I should be able to resume grappling soon. I've been doing lots of kickboxing the last couple of months because that doesn't stress on shoulder. The kickboxing has been a great way to lose weight and motivates me to find a Muay Thai program.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 6:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    The x-rays for my right shoulder were evaluated Tuesday and I was surprised to learn that the pain was from arthritic bony spurs on the clavicle, humerus and scapula that are impinging soft tissue.
    Unexpected! Glad you found out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my left clavicle is in three pieces and just about ready to pierce through my skin. I can't say I like this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 1:39pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to add something :

My left collarbone is fully healed now (although there is a visible bone stump under the skin) and I have regained about 95% of my strength.There's something else that worries me though.

Whenever I hold my hands in front of myself in seated position (ie I play video games, read a book, etc), after about 15-30 minutes my left hand goes numb. I can move it fine and all and if I rest it goes back fine but it's still worrying because it never used to do that. My best guess is that my clavicle's new angle is interfering with blood flow in a way or another when my arms are in that position. It does not seem really dangerous but it does suck.

I'm not certain if it's worthwhile to bring it up at my next medical appointment or even if there's something that can be done about it.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    Whenever I hold my hands in front of myself in seated position (ie I play video games, read a book, etc), after about 15-30 minutes my left hand goes numb. I can move it fine and all and if I rest it goes back fine but it's still worrying because it never used to do that. My best guess is that my clavicle's new angle is interfering with blood flow in a way or another when my arms are in that position. It does not seem really dangerous but it does suck.

I'm not certain if it's worthwhile to bring it up at my next medical appointment or even if there's something that can be done about it.
    Yeah, my ortho said this could happen. I can't see any reason why you shouldn't mention it at your next meeting. Even if there's nothing they can do, you won't know until you tell them.

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 2:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post

Could be nerve damage

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 12:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, nothing good comes from keeping secrets from your doctor. Telling them everything REALY helps them to do a proper diagnosis.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast