Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 8:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you think this is a good brace training with ACL strain?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1641wt_704

I'm looking for something that let's the patella move freely and doesn't have too much hard stuff on it for training partners (I won't wear it in competition).

It looks really thick though and like it would be 9,000 degrees inside! I read in another thread knee sleeves are just placebos?

Because I'd really like something lighter I could also wear for krotty (I can't picture kicking in that contraption, or maybe it's not as big a deal as I think...this is my first foray into knee braces, le sigh). At the moment it hurts too much/feels too shakey, for me to use that leg as a supporting leg for kicks on the other side. I definitely need something more in Judo though where I'm forced to bend at my knees all the time.
    Last edited by maofas; 5/29/2010 8:23am at .

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 8:50am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best one I ever used outside of my hard ortho braces

http://www.mmaoutlet.com/Cliff-Keen-...race-P292.aspx
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 9:07am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have an ACL strain bad enough where you can't stand on it, then you should probably get it looked at.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 10:27am

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HailtotheKing View Post
    If you have an ACL strain bad enough where you can't stand on it, then you should probably get it looked at.
    x2. If it's that shaky, you likely have more damage than just the ACL.

I'm not a big fan of knee braces to allow training on an injury. If they are rigid enough to do any good (Think the metal support running past the knee joint) then they transfer the side shear to places it's not meant to be.

The MMA one just above looks interesting though, I haven't seen that one yet.

John

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 11:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, I just limped for a week, so I didn't do any standup randori during that time. It's been 3 weeks and I only get twinges of pain and a feeling of looseness on certain motions. I don't have healthcare at the moment and I wouldn't really want to pay my deductible even if I did because I need my savings for school and books in Sept (mris are expensive, that's why why I'm in school for it!).

Thanks Josh for linking me to a site that had a sizing chart, I'm going to give that one a try, it looks thin enough for Karate as well. It will be my 32nd b-day gift to myself. ><
    Last edited by maofas; 5/29/2010 11:08am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 12:26pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Happy birthday + I bought this one:

Amazon.com: McDavid Ligament Knee Support: Sports & Outdoors

I have a repaired acl tear and some arthritis. It works well, isn't too bulky for randori, and feels nice and stable. I'm also intrigued by the MMA one Josh linked too and might get one of those as well - let us know how it goes. My knees are pretty fucked, and I'm perpetually on the lookout for a good product.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 1:20pm

Style: bitchin' and whinin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to say ask your Orthopod, but your later posts remind me that America is different to the UK in some respects, I assume you haven't had an orthopaedic consultation?

In that case who diagnosed the ACL sprain and what advice did they give? There are a lot of things that can go wrong with a knee other than an ACL strain, and a good diagnostician does not necessarily need an MRI to get a idea what to do next.

Perhaps if orthopaedics is out of your price range yiou can find a good sports physio, but a good diagnosis is the first step, a mild (grade 1) sprain has a very different prognosis to a grade 3 (complete rupture), and your mention of instability is somethiong of a warning that you may have something that won't be helped by a brace.

I appreciate teh ;imitations of your insurance cover, but even if you can't afford treatment, a good diagnosis will give you something to work with.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 4:54pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used that kneepad after I got off the hard plastic ortho brace they were the same ones that NFL lineman wear. After 3 knee surgeries I can tell you that brace is the best you can find without a hard insert. Your knees and training partners will thank you.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 5:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I've used that brace for about 2 weeks. The first thing I noticed was I didn't limp up the stairs after Judo or Karate when I wore the brace. I also felt stronger bending at the knees for throws. I have strong legs but my left knee feels shakey and sometimes gives out on me when it's the lone supporting leg and the guy is loaded on me (my form is probably off too which makes him weigh on me more, but that's where I'm at right now!).

For anyone else: I liked it much more after I took a silver Sharpie marker and made an X on the outside knee exactly over where the groove/cup for your patella is on the inside, because without that, I found it very hard to line everything up. With your knee actually sitting in the right spot it's very comfortable. Without that, not so much.

It's also padded 3/4 of the way around so your entire general knee area is protected from knees & shins clashing, falls, and drop seos galore. Really sweet for Judo, I'm thinking about ordering one for the uninjured leg...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 9:09pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a Cliff Brace as well, and wore it for the first time last night. It's really too early to report back productively, but I worry that I might be between sizes. The large doesn't really hug like it should, and I'm sure the medium will be too tight. Perhaps it'll shrink when I wash it. Or fall apart.

Also, I felt that I didn't really stiffen my knee sufficiently to prevent the lateral movement that I specifically worry about. My McDavid brace does that well, although as a result, it's very tight when I bend my leg and gets uncomfortable after an hour.

On the plus side, I really liked the padding three quarters of the way around. As my last knee worry came about as a clash of knees during randori, I think this could really help. It also works as a good old-fashioned knee pad, which is useful for old gits like me who groan and creak every time they have to get down on the mat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast