Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 9:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76 View Post
    So they weren't exactly "fixed" but the promoter always set up the rules to favor their fighter. I wish Guy Ritchie would make a movie about this.
    While we're waiting for that happy day, this upcoming documentary will at least touch on the early mixed-styles contests:

YouTube- Documentary preview: "Bartitsu - the Lost Martial Art of Sherlock Holmes"

From Barton-Wright's POV, or at least his argument in favor of using jujitsu rules in mixed JJ/wrestling challenges, jacketed submission wrestling was a better simulation of actual self-defense than was wrestling to a throw or pin.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 4:48am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but what do you guys usually do in a Bartitsu club? Do you have regular training or is it more that you have occasional seminars?

I ask because I've had it at the back of my mind to try and set up a Bartitsu thing for a while now. If I set something up, it would probably be unashamedly LARPy, and geared more towards people who already do judo/boxing/whatever and want to have a laugh, or history buffs who want to try things out.

So yeah, what do you do, and how do you get started?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 5:09am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It' still early days for the practical revival, but there are a few clubs and ongoing courses here and there, and quite a number of seminars. http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/bartitsu-today/ lists pretty much everything going on training-wise and if you scroll down the page it also offers some suggestions for setting up study groups.

Best if you're serious would be to join the Bartitsu Forum - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bartitsu_Forum/ . Almost all the serious enthusiasts are members and it's a notably active, positive group.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12