Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 7:25pm

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The gun laws in Pensylvania are such bull

I'm 18 and would like to invoke my second amendment rights. The law states at 18 I can buy a rifle and a shotgun but not a handgun. I have to be 21 for a handgun.

That is fair, but I can't even go to a shooting range and rent a handgun until I'm 21? Yeah but I can buy my own shotgun and take it to the range.

Makes a whole lot of sense. See I understand I can't buy a handgun of my own because handguns are easier to conceal. Though it is crazy that I can't rent one to use for like an hour or so at a range? It's not like I could get away with stealing it.

End rant

PS-you know how you can rent those public storage boxes? Woul I be allowed to keep guns I legally own in there?
    Last edited by jnp; 5/28/2010 5:55am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 8:00pm

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    I'm 18 and would like to invoke my second amendment rights. The law states at 18 I can buy a rifle and a shotgun but not a handgun. I have to be 21 for a handgun.

That is fair, but I can't even go to a shooting range and rent a handgun until I'm 21? Yeah but I can buy my own shotgun and take it to the range.

Makes a whole lot of sense. See I understand I can't buy a handgun of my own because handguns are easier to conceal. Though it is crazy that I can't rent one to use for like an hour or so at a range? It's not like I could get away with stealing it.

End rant

PS-you know how you can rent those public storage boxes? Woul I be allowed to keep guns I legally own in there?
    As far as I know, the 21 age for handguns and 18 for rifles and shotguns is not a state law but rather a federal law that applies to every state. I myself bought a handgun the day after I turned 21 and applied for my ccw permit a few days later.

You also have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo which I find more troublesome. Some calibers are popular in both rifles and handguns. With Tompson Contenders you can get handguns chambered in many rifle calibers. I bought a 9mm carbine before I turned 21 and actually had to bring my receit to walmart to get them to sell me ammunition. When I was 19 I went to a gun store that refused to sell me a box of .22 lr's since there exists handguns that shoot .22's.

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 7:59pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's Federal law, bud. It's like that across the nation, no exceptions. However, possession is a different story. Look into your state laws. Having a weapon transferred to you by a non ffl private party is legal in some states if you are over 18. Example, here in AZ you can own and buy handguns from private parties legally at 18 and open carry at 18 as well. But CCW permits are limited to people 21 and older, as is buying from any FFL dealer.

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 8:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Louisiana has the age at 21 yrs old to purchase a handgun. I thought that a rifle was 18 but I will have to check. I know for a fact that 21 is the standard age to legally own a handgun.

In case you didn't know it, there is a bright side to all of this. After a few years, you WILL be able to purchase a firearm. Take a country like Australia for example. Normal "sane" individuals do not own firearms as it is against the law. If fact, you can't own a katana unless you have a lawful purpose for it. I miss my rights in the states and I didn't know how much in fact until I moved down under. Give me my Glock 23 anyday.

Good Luck with your quest for a firearm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 2:14pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would a sawn-off shotgun count as a shotgun or a handgun, out of sheer curiosity?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once I'm done crying you a river, I'll call you a wambulance:
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 2:51pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kultist View Post
    Would a sawn-off shotgun count as a shotgun or a handgun, out of sheer curiosity?
    It counts as a shotgun, but Federal law states that the barrel can be no shorter than 18". Although in some states you can pay a 200+ dollar tax and get one in a short barrel.

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kultist View Post
    A shotgun with a barrel les than 18 inches is called an "SBS" under the 1937 NFA act, and a felony to posses without the proper tax documentation. The stock configuration is irrelevant to the shotguns classification, though you could certainly build an SBS with a pistol grip and verry short barrel. They are fun, but a bit limited in their range. They do make an excelent zombie deterent though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 5:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here in california forget about it, I wish the federal laws were the only hindrance. You are not allowed to carry a firearm here because god forbid you might hurt the criminal and violate his rights! Feel free to molest children, rob and shoot etc because lord knows you had a tough life and deserve the sympathy of out of touch rich ex hippies that live in Marin.... But you dare protect yourself you scumbag california will make sure you cry for Dante's last ring of hell!
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 5:47pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread needs more y'alls in it.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast