Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm. Peper spray sounds like a good alternative to carrying a weapon. You could spray multiple people from a "safe" distance and then run you ass off. Any thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 3:37pm

Style: mixed +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry anything that is not a obvious weapon. Carry a pen, like Robert Dole or a sharp pencil, like your accountant. A weapon is whatever you have available, if it is available. Just because it is a knife or a baton, unless you can get to it in time or even know how to use it, you still have to beable to know how to hurt the person. And if you can't get it out, not get it up, you could be in serious trouble before it begins, I guess it is the same in both cases!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 3:49pm

Style: Modern Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The great thing about Indiana is that unless it's nunchaku, certain automatic\ballistic knives or firearms, it's probably legal. Length, concealment, et. al. are generally a non issue. So I've been known to carry a 21" Asp Tactical Baton, one of those trendy 'tactical folders' and when feasible anything else up to a nightstick, tommahawk, machete or hunting rifle depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing. A lot of the times what you have is designed to deal with rabid animals, snakes and other assorted critters that might try to bother you instead of humans, or, more likely, to deal with underbrush and camp chores. I'm remarkably fond of my nightstick and baton, though-both have a nonlethal option available if you need it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 3:54pm

Style: Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mantis, depending on which brand of spray can you use, they have different ranges of cover.

Mine has an effective range of about 4 feet of concentrated spray, farther than that it mists...which can be useful as well (not as direct, but still a big irritation.)

So yes, you could likely get whomever's in the front (1 or 2 guys) easily...and then hoof it.
    The stragglers may just stay put to tend to their compadre....or they may give chase....if they do...more mace for them or other weapons may come into play, or your track skills may be useful.

But running really is the best option overall.

Spray 'em, distract 'em, and make like Jumpin' Jack Flash and get the hell out of dodge.

Keep in mind that mace is also useful in close quarters...just mind your own eyes and mouth in the process...sprayback is a bitch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A machete? damn...

Around here...I'd be shot by the local police force if it was anywhere near a living area....
    a camping ground though, or something to the same effect...that's different overall.

Yuppie Scum

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Mantis, WC, Escrima/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    by, who told you chucks were illegal in Indiana?:rolleyes: It wasn't a cop was it?:D
    Kung fu is translated as "stand around and talk."

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 4:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Kyoketsu
    Unlike Mantis, I have quite a bit of weapons training to back me carrying these up.
    For the record, this Mantis is trained to use a number of both classical and contemporary weaponry.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 4:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,

A question about pepper sprays

I don't know the quality of today's sprays so it can have changed, if that, well, nothing said but:

Some years ago, and I don't remember exactly why, a girl sprayed a guy in a club (well, not exactly a club but it doesn't matter). Results: some friends, me included, were also sprayed trying to stop the severe beating the girl was receiving because the first mentioned guy grabbed, grounded and pounded her.

I'm trying to say that the girl was beaten by the "bad" guy even sprayed and we, the "good" guys easily stopped the figth even sprayed. Get what I mean.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 4:42pm

Style: Modern Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyoketsu: For the record, I don't wander around the streets of bloomington with a machete; I carry it when I'm in\near the woods. Otherwise, I just keep it in my dorm room in case some nimrod actually manages to break in. (My rifle is still at my grandparent's place) If I'm going into a bad part of a bad town (Louisville is my least favorite) I've been known to conceal my 'hawk though.

El Tejon: Actually it was my old Kung-Fu instructor; given how much else he lied about (Horse stance indeed!) it wouldn't surprise me if he was wrong; but I like to err on the safe side, especially since I know for a fact that batons are legal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DCS, I didn't say they were a fight stopper...but a very annoying irritation...which can be good to set up a useful strike before running.

and Mr. Mantis, strike me corrected...I was talking about the other one. :P
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast