Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/03/2010 12:08am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    Yup. The red dot just adds to your OODA loop.
    Exactly.

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A different kind of laser for a different application - http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd3-laser-designator.aspx.

Anyone have any experience with one of these? I'm thinking about getting one for hawg hunting.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 6:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    What happened to LASRER GUNS?

My wife [...] just wants to be able to shoot people inside the house.

The best wife in the world:
    You might have it.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 9:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    A different kind of laser for a different application - http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd3-laser-designator.aspx.

Anyone have any experience with one of these? I'm thinking about getting one for hawg hunting.
    My FFL dealer had one of those a few weeks ago when I went by. He said he could hit a billboard with it at 1.5k in broad daylight, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity View Post
    To be honest it felt kind of clunky. it works, no doubt, Very manageable and a cool idea. (especially if you need an ambidextrous weapon) But personally I wouldn't go for one myself. Didn't like the ergonomics, Didn't like the controls. didn't like the look. Didn't like the handling.

If I wanted a gun in that caliber I'd probably just go for Ye Olde M14 variant.

If I just wanted a bullpup then I'd probably go for one of the 5.56 entries (and did by getting my girlfriend to choose an AUG).

If I really really wanted a 308 bullpup...

Well then maybe I'd go for the RFB since it's the only one I am aware of.
    Aye, there's the rub. The look doesn't bother me, but I'd definately want to be able to hold one, feel the trigger, maybe even fire some rounds through it before I'd be willing to buy. It'd also help if they could ramp up production so the gd price would go down.
    Last edited by money; 6/20/2010 9:58am at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:40pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to wrap up my hunt for a light/laser I thought I'd mention what happened. I bought a Sig Sauer light laser combo and hated it. it didn't attach to my XD-9 very well and aiming the laser through the flashlight reflector created a huge halo and a sort of double laser dot effect.

Luckily a buddy at work had an old Streamlight M6 that he was willing to sell me on the cheap. So I sold my Sig Sauer on Ebay for profit! Now I'm going to try to analyze my trigger pull technique with the M6 and be happy I saved some money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 4:06pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

Didn't see anyone mention this, but the only real use of a laser is shooting from behind cover.

The rest has been covered it seems...Looking for the dot is worse than looking for a front sight, and neither is very likely at close range and under stress. Lasers are worthless for marksmanship compared to a quality optic. The money spent on a laser is better spent on practice ammo. In my experience, people who go nuts for lasers tend to spend waaaaay less time on quality practice than they should, and tend to think they are waaaaaay better shooters than they actually are.

Anyway, this sums it up pretty well IMO:

Deep thoughts by pangris - L A S E R S! Sure to entertain... - BayouShooter.com Forums

I only use lasers to make the dobermans waste energy when they're getting too rowdy.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 12:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frankly the rant I keep seeing about multiple focal panes is a straw man. If you are using a laser for shooting and you actually use the laser not the sights + the laser for some god awful reason you have one sight plane instead of three. It is like the second a laser is part of the discussion point shooting vanishes from the equation and people start trying to use multiple sighting mechanisms for no reason. What is the deal with that? If I took off my sights and only used a laser would you be happy?

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 2:12pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not the same. The laser gives you a small, bobbing around, getting lost in anything but almost complete darkness dot that you have to locate and then place on the target. A moving target makes it exponentially more difficult. The fixed sights, are almost always "right there" on top of the gun and can be a rough guide in CQB situations or can be "fine tuned" (so to speak) for more accurate/longer range shots.

IMO, many "average shooters" with lasers also try to get that perfect shot by waiting for the dot to stand still (It won't), and then try to "snatch" it as it crosses the intended strike point. It increases the tendency to jerk the trigger and miss the shot.

Try running a timed and fast moving course of fire, or some close range CQB drills with a simunition gun and a laser and you will quickly see what we are talking about. Lasers are specialty tools for special situations.

In some situations, like holding someone at gunpoint form distance and cover...especially in a dark building, I cold see a real advantage. The only time I personally ever really saw a definite advantage for lasers was in the service and those were the non-visible PAQ-4 types you used with night vision.

In the end you have you decide what works best for you. This is just my .02.
    Last edited by tgace; 6/29/2010 2:38pm at .
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345