Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/31/2009 8:32pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Making a winter(warfare) survival kit

No I'm not talking about gloves a blanket and some candles in the back of a car kind of survival kit.

I'm instructing on a winter warfare course. One thing I intend to do is make the soldiers put together an individual (winter warefare) survival kit.

'Light infantry role & you get separated and need to survive for 4 or 5 days (a week whatever) on your own until help comes'.

I'm going to have them come up with a list on their own and then compare it to my list (and I'm hoping to get some ideas from you gentlemen).

Size and weight are important BUT it doesn't just have to fit in a tiny pouch-this is the need to survive stuff.

Also if anyone is interested throw out some ideas of basic key winter warfare gear they wouldn't leave home without to drag around in a sled/snowmobile for a 10-12 man team. (I'm never caught without an MSR pocket stove, SOG tomahawk or snow goggles)

The challenge is space vs comfort vs packing light.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 7:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You gotta watch the young troops as they like to take cotton socks rather than wool, a definate no-go in the cold.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 7:49am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought the whole dog-tag-chain-wire-saw cutter thingy with a fire starter Mg strip, sharpened/polished blank dog tag and other accessories seemed like a very light weight method to transport a few potentially helpful tools that would last you a few days alone. I think someone sells them as the Ranger Rick Survival Necklace (ghey), but I read a really good article from a survivalist that made some very practical and useful changes to the design.

Do you think you should break it up into considerations for a length of duration for exposure, temp, etc? I mean, there's a difference between going out a few days in 40 degree weather vs. -30. At least I think there is. I don't go outside when it looks cold...

I'd look at it like a list of things that could fit in a small day bag for being the absolute minimum/must have items, a list for, "hey, it's a little colder", and maybe one for a nuclear winter. Maybe. Very interesting topic. Thanks.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 12:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim Hortons' $10 gift card would be essential

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep a small butane torch type lighter of the type for lighting cigars. Trying to start damp tender with a flint, wind and cold hands is no easy task. It's not large, fits easily in the pocket yet has a decent fuel capacity. One fill should last a long time.

If you're wet and in danger of hypothermia it is important to get warm ASAP.

A good knife and small stone for keeping sharp are paramount to any survival kit no matter what the temperature. Having said that, many people can't sharpen a knife to a fine edge. Instruction on sharpening should be considered as part of any survival training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 1:07pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A hatchet and twine for making a lean-to or other improvised shelter. High calorie food (chocolate, energy bars) plus dried soup & hot cocoa. Space blankets are good and if space permits; dry socks, gloves and long underwear. Multiple ways to make fire.

Edit - the above is what each individual should carry. If they have a sled as in the original post, then full size tarps, rope, saws, real blankets, cook stove, fuel, pots, and more food.
    Last edited by moli; 1/01/2010 1:10pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2010 1:58pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second the lighter recommendation and also recommend an AK47 type bayonet. If you've ever had the chance to play with the AK bayonet, they are very useful tools (can slip the knife by the barrel loop into the sheath and use as a hammer). I always bought and took my own rubberized or otherwise waterproof poncho in my kit.

Before we deployed to BiH and Iraq at CIF I got the largest sized gortex tops they had available. Got some strange looks, but having my own 1-person tent in the cold wet rain was awesome! Can just slap it over your IBA too.

IBA's are nice in warm too. Most of the time I just wore a wooley pulley under my BDU tops in BiH under the flak vests. Yep, I'm olllllddddddddddddddddd.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 1:58am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the ways we made a fire starter when I was a kid, (and is pretty cheap) was to get cotton balls and saturate them in petroleum jelly. Then we put them in an old pill bottle until ready to use. We would always tape waterproof matches to the pill bottle so we wouldn't lose them.

The other thing we always carried was a canteen cup and a jar of bullion cubes. I know that you don't get much in the way of calories, but it sure helps your morale if your stuck, and can drink a nice hot cup of chicken flavored water.

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 2:38am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To make waterproof matches - get strike anywhere matches and carefully drip a candle on to them in a box layer by layer. Or get a 35mm film tub and put them in it head up and drip candle wax on the heads, stick the striker inside the lid as well.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few garbage bags.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast