Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 2:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

3 Deep Half Guard Leg Positions

The Deep Half Guard has been a really popular half guard lately and Stephan Kesting just sent out a video of three different leg potisions.

Do you guys play Deep Half? It's personally my one of my favorite positions.

What do you usually play from there.

Stephan usually has some good stuff to share:

Here's a link to the video:

3 Deep Half Guard Leg Positions

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 3:48pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've had Glover in our gym doing this stuff. Not a big fan of it but some people like playing that game. If guys don't remember not to get flat or over extend their arms and necks (which is hard not to do) you can get into some serious trouble.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 10:04pm

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    We've had Glover in our gym doing this stuff. Not a big fan of it but some people like playing that game. If guys don't remember not to get flat or over extend their arms and necks (which is hard not to do) you can get into some serious trouble.
    Speaking of overextending your arms in deep half guard,

There's this "half guard" group on our team that likes to work on all kinds of half guard, our coach showed us this counter to deep half guard (when he's on top) with a cutting armbar. What's the proper arm position so you prevent your arm getting taken while you're rocking back and forth? Our coach was saying that a lot of people's deep half guards are prone to this.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 10:21pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elbow in or arm down. The other thing is that if you don't mind the pain most guys can't get the full leverage to really break your arm although it may pop. Then again I'm stubborn and sadistic that way.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 12:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    I'm a judoka, and I see you have a black belt in Judo. My reservations on the deep half guard "game" revolve around that I typically get solid upper body control when on top in half guard, which to my mind negates a lot of the half guard "game". To me, basic is "control head/upper body, then extract the leg. Of course this is with a judogi, which makes control a bit easier, and I don't do much no gi work.

Is your lack of "fandom" for deep HG related to similar concerns and your judo background? I'm no expert on no gi or deep half guard, just wondering.

Regards,

Ben

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 3:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I'm a judoka, and I see you have a black belt in Judo. My reservations on the deep half guard "game" revolve around that I typically get solid upper body control when on top in half guard, which to my mind negates a lot of the half guard "game". To me, basic is "control head/upper body, then extract the leg.
    BJJ players try to do the same thing. If I'm good at half-guard then I'm not going to let you...

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 12:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    BJJ players try to do the same thing. If I'm good at half-guard then I'm not going to let you...
    Sure, that's how it works for anything. It's like a physical chess match, on the ground or standing or in between.

I need to watch more online half guard/deep half guard videos to get more familiar with strategy/tactics for the guy on bottom to get a better understanding. I work 6 to 2 tonight so I will do it at work after things slow down.

Ben

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 3:28pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ben, I hear what you're saying, and would like to be enlightened as well. Coming from a Judo/SAMBO background as well, if someone catches me in half guard (me on top), I immediately drop low, weight them down, grip far side sleeve/arm, underhook head, and shoulder pressure on their jaw to get them flat and pin their head and upper body. I then begin working my leg out.

When I am playing bottom half guard, my clubmates do the same thing, and I find it very difficult to keep enough space to get to a deep half. As soon as I catch a leg to get to half, they immediately drop their weight and smash me, shoulder pressure to face. I occasionally head them off by framing up or cupping one of their arms as I initially establish half, in which case I may pull off an old school sweep or something similar, but this is quite rare. Usually as soon as I establish half, they immediately drop and flatten me.

I apologize if this seems rudimentary to some of you all, but if anyone could please give me some tips or direct me to some videos that will help to maintain/establish workable space while in bottom half, particularly against someone intent on flattening you, I'd really appreciate it.

I don't have much trouble working sweeping, attacking or reversing once I have some space to work with when in bottom half guard. I've got a few sweeps and such that I'm comfortable with. It just seems incredibly difficult to actually get and maintain the space for me. Wheter it is due to my own ineptitude, or my club's style of play (or likely a combo of both), I just can't say. So if anyone could point me in the right direction...

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 3:35pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    Ben, I hear what you're saying, and would like to be enlightened as well. Coming from a Judo/SAMBO background as well, if someone catches me in half guard (me on top), I immediately drop low, weight them down, grip far side sleeve/arm, underhook head, and shoulder pressure on their jaw to get them flat and pin their head and upper body. I then begin working my leg out.

When I am playing bottom half guard, my clubmates do the same thing, and I find it very difficult to keep enough space to get to a deep half. As soon as I catch a leg to get to half, they immediately drop their weight and smash me, shoulder pressure to face. I occasionally head them off by framing up or cupping one of their arms as I initially establish half, in which case I may pull off an old school sweep or something similar, but this is quite rare. Usually as soon as I establish half, they immediately drop and flatten me.

I apologize if this seems rudimentary to some of you all, but if anyone could please give me some tips or direct me to some videos that will help to maintain/establish workable space while in bottom half, particularly against someone intent on flattening you, I'd really appreciate it.

I don't have much trouble working sweeping, attacking or reversing once I have some space to work with when in bottom half guard. I've got a few sweeps and such that I'm comfortable with. It just seems incredibly difficult to actually get and maintain the space for me. Wheter it is due to my own ineptitude, or my club's style of play (or likely a combo of both), I just can't say. So if anyone could point me in the right direction...
    Yes. Doesn't mean you shouldn't learn it.

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 9:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same here for the most part, exact position depends on relative body position. I try to tie off one arm with their own belt/jacket skirt as well.

You have to move very quickly to create some space and anticipate the "smash". Depending on your pain tolerance, you can still make some space, but once the shoulder is under the chin, it's pretty hard to do.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast