Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 8:50pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whats wrong with having a little contest like this? Maybe making an actual sport is going too far but hell I've seen worse. You guys ever see that game where a bunch of non athletic old folks whack balls around with sticks? Sport of kings I tells ya.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 5:50pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dear - it seems that this insane activity has today claimed a life:

"Finalist dies at World Sauna Championship"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10904691

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    8/07/2010 7:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this isn't a sport, it's self-mutilation. i hope this is a wake up call for people there.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 2:58am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat reports that police doesn't suspect organiser of any crime after reviewing the situation. Not surprisingly organisers have already revealed this was the last event.

My condolences for the family and friends of Vladimir Ladyzenski.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 6:01am

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I used to play a game where I would take a beer from a case into the sauna, drink it before it got warm, jump into the pool, jump out, grab a beer, repeated until I could barely stand from dehydration and subsequently almost drown in the pool. I called it Getting Really Drunk Really Quick And Almost Drowning.

Do you mind if I borrow this game from you?

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 8:56pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've decided to leave this in this thread, instead of making a new one, so you may be warned of this folly.

Props to BaronVonDingDong for also using the search function.

Finalist dies in heat at Sauna Championships in Finland

HELSINKI—A Russian man trying to win the Sauna World Championships died after collapsing with severe burns in the final stage of an event that required contestants to sit in a 230-degree (110 Celsius) room as water was tossed onto a searing stove, officials and witnesses said.

Vladimir Ladyzhenskiy, an amateur wrestler who was in his 60s, was pronounced dead late Saturday after he collapsed alongside reigning champion Timo Kaukonen of Finland roughly six minutes into the final round. Medical workers pulled both men out of the sauna in front of nearly 1,000 spectators in the southern Finnish town of Heinola.

Both were shaking and bleeding from what appeared to be severe burns, said Hakon Eikesdal, a photographer with the Norwegian daily Dagbladet.

Kaukonen, about 40, was hospitalized in stable condition Sunday, contest spokesman Ossi Arvela said.

The annual contest, which had over 130 participants from 15 countries, had been held since 1999. It will never be held again, Arvela said.

Half a litre (a pint) of water is added to the stove every 30 seconds and the last person to remain at the sauna is the winner.

There was no prize other than “some small things” Arvela said. He declined to provide details.

Arvela said Kaukonen — the defending world champion — had refused to leave the sauna despite getting sick.

Sauna bathing is a popular past-time in Finland, which has an estimated 1.6 million saunas for a population of 5 million. Temperatures are normally kept around 158 to 176 degrees (70-80 degrees Celsius).

“I know this is very hard to understand to people outside Finland who are not familiar with the sauna habit,” Arvela said. “It is not so unusual to have 110 degrees in a sauna. A lot of competitors before have sat in higher temperatures than that.”

Arvala said all rules in Saturday’s competition were followed and the temperatures and times were similar to those in previous years.

He said police are investigating the death.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...n-finland?bn=1
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    8/08/2010 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap. I dont like Saunas, in general. I can put up with heat, like daily heat, just fine. But sitting in a little room full of hot, wet air just seems so far from relaxing it isn't funny.

Getting Really Drunk Really Quick And Almost Drowning.
    Ah, us Aussies have a thing for creative names, dont we?

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia View Post
    Holy crap. I dont like Saunas, in general. I can put up with heat, like daily heat, just fine. But sitting in a little room full of hot, wet air just seems so far from relaxing it isn't funny.
    Spend enough time anywhere the temperatures drop well below freezing for months ...

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 12:47am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Spend enough time anywhere the temperatures drop well below freezing for months ...

On more than a few days earlier this year it was near 100% humidity and 40 degrees celsius at night. If you regularly experience having to go about your daily life with everything sticking to you, constant sweat pouring off you and craving the relief of sweet tang of air conditioning, a sauna is not really appealing. But if all you know is snow...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 1:04am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast