221979 Bullies, 4000 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 41 to 50 of 57
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Lampa is offline
    Lampa's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, NY
    Posts
    1,288

    Posted On:
    5/29/2010 2:23pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny story, I was actually vehemently opposed to all gun control laws until I lived in Pennsylvania for six years. The people who legally obtained guns and concealed carry permits were invariably the kind of dumbasses I believed were non-existent negative stereotypes perpetrated by those who were afraid of guns and made me think twice about whether or not the rules should be stricter.

    Funny story, I had a brief argument with one gentleman who was a friend of a friend where I think I made him feel a little bit unmanly. The next time I saw him at a bar he flashed his legally obtained piece at me in a semi-subtle way to let me and everyone else know he had it. Then he proceeded to get blasted drunk and have his pistol fall out of his jeans as he was hitting on a girl, only to be quickly recovered by his more sober friend.

    I was mugged in that same city at a different time and I felt like I was in much more physical danger by the law abiding citizen utilizing his second amendment rights.
  2. Mtripp is offline
    Mtripp's Avatar

    Choked out by Gene Lebell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Posted On:
    5/29/2010 2:23pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <<<Just for clairty sake what context am I twisting?>>>

    The context that one can be quite sane and see the need to carry a firearm.

    <<<I've not said anything against your right to carry a firearm if you wish to do so as long as they are properly trained in its use and in its safe handling. Again because you do not seem to be getting this point.>>>

    I do get it, but this is not your point.

    <<<My issue is using the boogieman argument as justification for carrying one. Also what reality am I ignoring?>>>

    By attempting to diminish real world violence to a childish "boogieman," that would be the first part.

    <<<You seem to have a pretty good understanding of my past and personal experiences dont you?>>>

    Phui, I have only spoken to MY experience and to YOUR attempt to diminish them, for example:

    <<<Or is it just that Tripp has seen and done it all and thus knows the evils of the world better than everyone else?>>>

    This is a fairly good example of same.

    <<<I have no intention or desire to deminish or besmirch your past or experience>>>

    Of course you do, and you just did.

    <<<but do not presume on mine either.>>>

    I have done no such thing, you are projecting.

    <<<I know all to well about the "goblins of the world" and I recognize the dangers they present.>>.

    And yet you dismiss it as a "boogieman" reason? Sorry, but I don't see how you can have it both ways.

    <<<I really am not opposed to your opinion Tripp we are more or less on the same page with the issue but for whatever reason you seem determined to fight me on it.>>>

    I intend to fight what you are attempting to pass as reason. I will do it all the more so if you continue to think insult moves your position forward.

    I do not see how we are on the same page at all. I would not dismiss a persons reasonable understanding of the need to have the means to repel a violent personal attack as a childish "boogieman." If you think a person who arms themselves are doing so due to a childish fear than we are not in the same book, let alone page.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC
  3. Mtripp is offline
    Mtripp's Avatar

    Choked out by Gene Lebell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Posted On:
    5/29/2010 2:26pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    Funny story, I was actually vehemently opposed to all gun control laws until I lived in Pennsylvania for six years. The people who legally obtained guns and concealed carry permits were invariably the kind of dumbasses I believed were non-existent negative stereotypes perpetrated by those who were afraid of guns and made me think twice about whether or not the rules should be stricter.

    Funny story, I had a brief argument with one gentleman who was a friend of a friend where I think I made him feel a little bit unmanly. The next time I saw him at a bar he flashed his legally obtained piece at me in a semi-subtle way to let me and everyone else know he had it. Then he proceeded to get blasted drunk and have his pistol fall out of his jeans as he was hitting on a girl, only to be quickly recovered by his more sober friend.

    I was mugged in that same city at a different time and I felt like I was in much more physical danger by the law abiding citizen utilizing his second amendment rights.
    Interesting story, but if this were the common case you would have a great deal of police cases dealing with such things.

    When you check into how many people with CCW's have them revoked because of situations you just related, you find the numbers to be VERY low indeed. However, they do get revoked for just such a reason. However, if they all were the cowboys as they get painted as, every night would be the OK Corral now wouldn't it?
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,745

    Posted On:
    5/29/2010 2:30pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post

    Funny story, I had a brief argument with one gentleman who was a friend of a friend where I think I made him feel a little bit unmanly. The next time I saw him at a bar he flashed his legally obtained piece at me in a semi-subtle way to let me and everyone else know he had it. Then he proceeded to get blasted drunk and have his pistol fall out of his jeans as he was hitting on a girl, only to be quickly recovered by his more sober friend.
    .
    Funny, I have had similar incidents concerning guns, knives, and Martial Arts Black Belts. Although an interesting story, it doesn't prove anything one way or another accept people are fucking stupid.
  5. Shamash is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    185

    Posted On:
    5/29/2010 2:42pm


     Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    Funny story, I was actually vehemently opposed to all gun control laws until I lived in Pennsylvania for six years. The people who legally obtained guns and concealed carry permits were invariably the kind of dumbasses I believed were non-existent negative stereotypes perpetrated by those who were afraid of guns and made me think twice about whether or not the rules should be stricter.

    Funny story, I had a brief argument with one gentleman who was a friend of a friend where I think I made him feel a little bit unmanly. The next time I saw him at a bar he flashed his legally obtained piece at me in a semi-subtle way to let me and everyone else know he had it. Then he proceeded to get blasted drunk and have his pistol fall out of his jeans as he was hitting on a girl, only to be quickly recovered by his more sober friend.

    I was mugged in that same city at a different time and I felt like I was in much more physical danger by the law abiding citizen utilizing his second amendment rights.

    This is incorrect. Your story was not of a "law abiding" person. In nearly all "shall carry" states, it is illegal to carry your firearm into any estabilshment that serves alcohol and you will get it revoked if you are caught doing that. He was carrying his firearm illegally whether or not he had a permit. Alcohol and firearms are a legal no no almost everywhere. How did you know he legally had a carry permit? Did you look him up in a database or did a friend of a friend of a friend tell you he had one?

    Did the guy who mugged you take the time to flash out his CCW and explain that he wanted to legally carry a gun up to the point that he mugged you after which he is in illegal possesion of a firearm?

    Why do people keep chasing the senario whereby some sociopath thinks "I would really like to rape, kill a bitch, and go on a shooting spree, but numerous gun laws prohibit me. I guess my homicidal tendencies will forever remain unfullfilled."
  6. Lampa is offline
    Lampa's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, NY
    Posts
    1,288

    Posted On:
    5/29/2010 2:42pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Interesting story, but if this were the common case you would have a great deal of police cases dealing with such things.

    When you check into how many people with CCW's have them revoked because of situations you just related, you find the numbers to be VERY low indeed. However, they do get revoked for just such a reason. However, if they all were the cowboys as they get painted as, every night would be the OK Corral now wouldn't it?
    Well, while this seemed a way more common anecdote in Pennsylvania than any other place I've been, (maybe it's a cultural thing to be a dumbass) I don't pretend that it's the rule. And I still enjoy owning and firing my guns as much as others. I actually don't like the idea of using them for self defense but I think that's another argument entirely.

    The point of the story is that there are real world reasons for people to have a bad feeling in their stomach about folks legally bringing guns to public places. In situations like the one I described, the smartest thing to do is leave that place knowing full well that if no one gets killed for a stupid reason on that night, odds are they will eventually.

    Again, not saying it's a valid argument for mass strictures on gun control laws. Instead, I'm using it as an example for why reasonable people can be made uneasy by things as they are, now.
  7. Lampa is offline
    Lampa's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, NY
    Posts
    1,288

    Posted On:
    5/29/2010 2:53pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamash View Post
    This is incorrect. Your story was not of a "law abiding" person. In nearly all "shall carry" states, it is illegal to carry your firearm into any estabilshment that serves alcohol and you will get it revoked if you are caught doing that. He was carrying his firearm illegally whether or not he had a permit. Alcohol and firearms are a legal no no almost everywhere. How did you know he legally had a carry permit? Did you look him up in a database or did a friend of a friend of a friend tell you he had one?

    Did the guy who mugged you take the time to flash out his CCW and explain that he wanted to legally carry a gun up to the point that he mugged you after which he is in illegal possesion of a firearm?

    Why do people keep chasing the senario whereby some sociopath thinks "I would really like to rape, kill a bitch, and go on a shooting spree, but numerous gun laws prohibit me. I guess my homicidal tendencies will forever remain unfullfilled."
    Well, actually, my friend who I knew this man through assisted him in filling out the paperwork for his CCW. And asshole getting finally getting his permit was a topic of conversation at another point. Not something I was terribly happy about, either.

    As for the mugger, his weapon may have been legal or illegal. No idea. But as a man with a goal there was a level of reason in our interaction absent from "man who will end up shooting someone out of either bruised pride or sheer accident."

    I think you're reading more argument than I'm making. My commentary was more tangential, saying that "cowboys," as Coach Tripp called them are a consequence of easily available legal firearms and that in situations where a paranoid or otherwise in need of masculinity reinforcement gentleman starts carrying around a weapon I'm more frightened of them than the criminals.

    :phil2:

    Isolated enough of a problem that it wouldn't warrant massive changes to the law. But it's something in the periphery that goes unconsidered in these arguments and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
  8. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,288

    Posted On:
    5/29/2010 3:03pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i generally think that gun control as it exists in NYC is a bad thing, but after reading this thread i am glad that nogroinnokrav can't get a handgun for a few years.

    not all 18 year old kids are morons, but enough of them are that i think 21 is pretty reasonable.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  9. Shamash is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    185

    Posted On:
    5/29/2010 3:10pm


     Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    Well, actually, my friend who I knew this man through assisted him in filling out the paperwork for his CCW. And asshole getting finally getting his permit was a topic of conversation at another point. Not something I was terribly happy about, either.

    As for the mugger, his weapon may have been legal or illegal. No idea. But as a man with a goal there was a level of reason in our interaction absent from "man who will end up shooting someone out of either bruised pride or sheer accident."

    I think you're reading more argument than I'm making. My commentary was more tangential, saying that "cowboys," as Coach Tripp called them are a consequence of easily available legal firearms and that in situations where a paranoid or otherwise in need of masculinity reinforcement gentleman starts carrying around a weapon I'm more frightened of them than the criminals.

    :phil2:

    Isolated enough of a problem that it wouldn't warrant massive changes to the law. But it's something in the periphery that goes unconsidered in these arguments and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Fair enough I aplogize for misunderstanding you, however; I think you misunderstood me as well. If a person used a gun for a crime it is automatically illegal. You cannot legally possess a gun during the commision of a crime. The mugger illegally owned the weapon by shear fact that he used it in the comission of a crime. In my state we have a "crooks with guns" law which can be found here.http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/gove...ent.do?id=1067

    For example I own 16 firearms, however; I've never commited a violent crime or been charged with or convicted of a serious offense. Therefore I can legally own firearms and use them for lawful purposes. If I use one of guns to rob a bank or murder someone I can no longer legally possess my collection and I will not be able to buy any additional guns from legal sources meaning I can't walk into a gun dealership and buy one since I would be unable to pass a background check.
  10. Nefron is offline
    Nefron's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    1,587

    Posted On:
    5/29/2010 3:11pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should try having a civil war. After that no household is left without at least an AK and a few boxes of ammo. We had guys hiding APCs in barns like 10 years after the war.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.