Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    I'm 18 and would like to invoke my second amendment rights. The law states at 18 I can buy a rifle and a shotgun but not a handgun. I have to be 21 for a handgun.

That is fair, but I can't even go to a shooting range and rent a handgun until I'm 21? Yeah but I can buy my own shotgun and take it to the range.

Makes a whole lot of sense. See I understand I can't buy a handgun of my own because handguns are easier to conceal. Though it is crazy that I can't rent one to use for like an hour or so at a range? It's not like I could get away with stealing it.

End rant

PS-you know how you can rent those public storage boxes? Woul I be allowed to keep guns I legally own in there?
    If you lived in Philly you'd feel differently about that law.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    here in california forget about it, I wish the federal laws were the only hindrance. You are not allowed to carry a firearm here because god forbid you might hurt the criminal and violate his rights! Feel free to molest children, rob and shoot etc because lord knows you had a tough life and deserve the sympathy of out of touch rich ex hippies that live in Marin.... But you dare protect yourself you scumbag california will make sure you cry for Dante's last ring of hell!
    I'm not 100% up on California law, but I'm pretty sure child molestation is at least as illegal as firearm possession there, too.
    You bring up an important point, though; I have this internal dilemma, wherein I support the right of adults to own as many large and dangerous toys as they want on principle, but then the other supporters of firearm possession bust out bullshit rhetoric like this and I just want to dissociate myself from the cause as much as possible.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 11:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So in America, all you have to be is 18 years old or 21 years old to purchase a rifle/shotgun/handgun? No licenses or anything? Wtf, and you're crying about it? Come to Canada.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 11:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keke View Post
    So in America, all you have to be is 18 years old or 21 years old to purchase a rifle/shotgun/handgun? No licenses or anything? Wtf, and you're crying about it? Come to Canada.
    Well, you can't be a felon, and there's a few other requirements, and you generally have to pass a background check.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 12:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well understandably thats a given. What are the other requirements? In Canada, you have to pass the gun licence test and then have your name registered in that database and to purchase assault rifles is an even stringent requirement, requiring another licence I think. So an average joe can purchase an assault rifle or any firearm easily in the US?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 12:54am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well understandably thats a given. What are the other requirements? In Canada, you have to pass the gun licence test and then have your name registered in that database and to purchase assault rifles is an even stringent requirement, requiring another licence I think. So an average joe can purchase an assault rifle or any firearm easily in the US?
    A lot of that depends on what state your in, but we generally restrict automatic weapons.
    We're a lot less stringent about semi- to fully- automatic converter kits, though.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 12:58am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not easily no, it just doesn't require a permit.

As for "assault rifles", state legislature tends to be a factor on that one.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 1:12am

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

As others have said it depends on what state you are in. The federal assault rifle ban expired under bush so generally speaking semi-auto matics are completely legal. Some states like California ban assault rifles at the state level but most of the states allow what most people would commonly call "assault" rifle. I disagree with that term but that is another debate.

I live in Tennessee where there are very little additional firearm laws. When I buy a gun I have to fill out the proper paperwork, then the seller sends my info to various law enforcement databases to see if I have a criminal record, and then I get the gun. The background check can take up 20 minutes but usually it is less for me.

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 1:21am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I'm not 100% up on California law, but I'm pretty sure child molestation is at least as illegal as firearm possession there, too.
    You bring up an important point, though; I have this internal dilemma, wherein I support the right of adults to own as many large and dangerous toys as they want on principle, but then the other supporters of firearm possession bust out bullshit rhetoric like this and I just want to dissociate myself from the cause as much as possible.
    its not rhetoric it was hyperbole used to make a legitimate point, namely that there is way too much protection for the predators. Recently there have been some fairly aggressive challenges to laws like Megans law where by the right of recidivists who have completed their time are challenging the right of authorities to moniter their activities... I mean they did the time they should be left alone right? Key word being recidivists.

Sorry but I would love to see how much some of these and other predators think twice knowing that an adult with a firearm might end their days is they act according to their desires.... but it won't happen here in kalifornia:phil2:
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 1:44am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    its not rhetoric it was hyperbole used to make a legitimate point, namely that there is way too much protection for the predators. Recently there have been some fairly aggressive challenges to laws like Megans law where by the right of recidivists who have completed their time are challenging the right of authorities to moniter their activities... I mean they did the time they should be left alone right? Key word being recidivists.

Sorry but I would love to see how much some of these and other predators think twice knowing that an adult with a firearm might end their days is they act according to their desires.... but it won't happen here in kalifornia:phil2:
    First off your an idiot. Second there are more stringent laws on firearms in California but you can own guns and if you have a legitimate reason to do so you can get a permit to carry a concealed firearm, at least in San Bernardino you can. Is this right? Is it wrong? Well thats up to the voters. None of this however has ANYTHING to do with pedophiles which seems to be the underlying theme in your argument.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast