Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2010 5:17pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the original post version two video with the brown belt demonstrating. Twice he grabs the pants with his fingers inside the trouser leg. Just to confirm, isn't that illegal? Minor point however I'm sure I saw a guy get DQ'd for this at the British Open in March...

Posted On:
    11/25/2010 5:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl View Post
    In the original post version two video with the brown belt demonstrating. Twice he grabs the pants with his fingers inside the trouser leg. Just to confirm, isn't that illegal? Minor point however I'm sure I saw a guy get DQ'd for this at the British Open in March...
    Its a shido in Judo, couldn't say about BJJ. Although that Russian/Iatskevitch method is just as effective when grabbing the ends of the trousers from the outside as from the inside provided you try and pull uke in a cirlce rather than straight over.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/25/2010 6:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Its a shido in Judo, couldn't say about BJJ.
    Illegal in BJJ, also. The only illegal grip in BJJ, in fact.

Posted On:
    11/26/2010 9:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judoka_uk,

Beautiful detail on the Adams roll. I am beginning to reinvestigate this myself to learn the detail necessary to ensure this is not a hail mary sacrifice move, because as yrkoon says I don't like to give up position if I fail. I think your detail you posted there on the grips, head post, and transition are the key.

I think there are several small details that Neil Adams used that will make this more effective.

Of course against better people, purple and above, they are really used to keeping their extremeties tied into their core, so it's going to be a fight.

Posted On:
    11/27/2010 8:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy View Post
    judoka_uk,

Beautiful detail on the Adams roll. I am beginning to reinvestigate this myself to learn the detail necessary to ensure this is not a hail mary sacrifice move, because as yrkoon says I don't like to give up position if I fail. I think your detail you posted there on the grips, head post, and transition are the key.

I think there are several small details that Neil Adams used that will make this more effective.

Of course against better people, purple and above, they are really used to keeping their extremeties tied into their core, so it's going to be a fight.
    Thank you.

Well I think you have to put the Adams roll in the context of how he most succesfully applied it - the transition from standing to groundwork in a judo contest.

Because of the Judo contest rules if an opponent is knocked down they tend to fall instinctively into a turtle because any rolling onto the side or back risks a score being called against them. Adams was unbelievable fast going from attacking with the throw to getting his hook in and securing the arm. If you watch the footage of it happening often he is halfway through the roll before the opponent even has time to think about tightening up and getting a tight turtle.

In Adams original version he places the inserted hook in between uke's legs to assist the roll with a flicking action. However, my coach who was a pupil of Adams for 10 years has a modified version that I use because it offers greater stability.

Posting on your head and spare arm helps keep a stable platform from which to work the arm, however, in addition if you send your hook all the way through to uke's far side and use the instep of your foot to clamp hard on the outside of uke's thigh.

Like so:

Locking the instep around the thigh in combination with the head and arm post makes you very stable. However, its important to note that you don't want to hang out in this position for any time at all it should be a momentary transitional position before you fully lock up the arm with the figure 4/ ude garami grip.

An alternative entry is the Traineau method of achieving Juji gatame which is quite well suited to BJJ practicioners as it gives you lots of options for attacking the back.

You start off attacking the turtled uke from their rear right or left corner never directly from the side.

You then grasp their lapel:

Note how Adams has based out with his left leg, because in Judo from here there is an opportunity for uke to attempt an arm roll into a hold down.

With your other hand you catch uke's bicep on the near side arm, cupping it with your hand:

Roll directly to your side using the control on the gi lapel and uke's bicep to help effect the roll and insert your hook:

Now in BJJ you can work for attacking the back from here. However, in Judo uke will often seek to roll away onto their front where they can stall out the groundwork in a contest.

As uke attempts to roll away onto their front you slide out your leg from underneath uke and swing your hook so that it is across uke's body, come up onto one knee and catch the arm and using your arm in the crook of their elbow draw their arm upwards and into you:

Then secure with the figure 4/ ude garami grip:

Bring your other leg over to secure the head and then sit back and apply your prefered grip break to straighten the arm:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123