5/26/2010 1:04pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My knife fight video

I would love some critique from you, guys. That's from our exam:
    YouTube- Exame Kali Silat - Tales x Souza - Faca
    I'm the shorter one.
    There are other videos (single stick, spada y daga, carenza) but that's the only one I uploaded so far.

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 1:37pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a technical point of view, I'd mention that I would like to have seen more side-stepping, rather than straight forward and backward stepping.

I think you'd also get a lot more out of your training by adding a face-mask or goggles.

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 2:13pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was the goal of this session? Are you guys actually supposed to try to kill each other, or just get minor cuts in?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The tall guy keeps doing this weird telegraph before lunging forward, where he lifts his foot backwards. That could be studied for economy of motion, because it looks like it tells your opponent what you're about to do and commits you to the motion you're about to do (which I think is kind of a bad thing for knife fighting). Were you guys just trying to attack each other's weapon hand? I think the contact level could be made more realistic with some gloves and/or different trainers (I like those rubber ones), and getting some face protection (I think I paid $50 for a set of 2 fencing masks on eBay, but be careful with too much force if you have crappy masks).

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 4:22pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    K, it's been a couple of days with no response so... It looks like point karate, or a game of tag. Yes I understand that a knife cut can be much more dangerous than many empty-hand strikes. But I also know that the human body can withstand a lot more damage than people think, even when a blade is involved.

I have friends who are firefighters/EMTs, and have told me that they have seen knifing victims walking around with multiple punctures to the box, asking to bum cigarettes. The same friends have treated many knife wounds and said that it's a lot harder to kill someone with a knife than you think. I'd assume that this is particularly true if that person is athletic, and/or hyped up, and/or knows how to fight even a little bit.

With that taken into account, I don't see the point for the knife-dueling approach as anything other than a very limited-scope training device. It doesn't teach you to effectively defend against someone who wants to kill you with a knife. If they did want to kill you, they'd get close, grab you, and use a sewing-machine style attack. Slicing and retreating allows for an opponent to easily run away. And that's the probably most effective knife defense there is once combat has begun.

It just isn't terribly realistic to train for a duel. One person will run. Or one will commit. Or someones friends will show up with better weapons. Etc., etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 10:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    What was the goal of this session? Are you guys actually supposed to try to kill each other, or just get minor cuts in?
    Thanks for the replys.
    The goal was just cutting without being cut in return. At least for me, it's hard cutting a neck for instance without leving myself open to other attacks, due to my lesser reach.
    Well, I don't agree about the "point karate" critique. At least in my point of view, it's better to have a training session with two opponents being careful and with less action than one where both trade killer attacks at the same time, like the Wekaf ruleset. Also, that guy and me have trained together for a long time and we are familiar we with each other.

About the headgear, we usually wear boxing ones with a cage, the type that is used in Kung Fu competition or just goggles. Fencing mask are too expensive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 10:32pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have much reach either. If you are trying to be more effective with the knife, think less about quick stabs and more about making and keeping extended contact with the knife. I noticed that you both tend to keep rather narrow stances....that is likely what is limiting you to the forward/backward motion. Try taking a wider stance and doing more triangle footwork.

You and your training partner have a good amount of agility. Knives are not ranged weapons. To be effective, you must get in close and stay close. Work your angles, and use your agility to stay in range and off-center.

As an example, take a look at Manny Pacquiao's boxing. He is a good boxer but not a speed demon. Yet his opponents say that they do not see his punches coming because of his angles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 10:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikaranista View Post
    I don't have much reach either. If you are trying to be more effective with the knife, think less about quick stabs and more about making and keeping extended contact with the knife. I noticed that you both tend to keep rather narrow stances....that is likely what is limiting you to the forward/backward motion. Try taking a wider stance and doing more triangle footwork.
    By wider stance you mean keeping the legs further away from each other?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 11:05pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whosthemaster View Post
    By wider stance you mean keeping the legs further away from each other?
    Yes, exactly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    I have friends who are firefighters/EMTs, and have told me that they have seen knifing victims walking around with multiple punctures to the box, asking to bum cigarettes. The same friends have treated many knife wounds and said that it's a lot harder to kill someone with a knife than you think. I'd assume that this is particularly true if that person is athletic, and/or hyped up, and/or knows how to fight even a little bit.

With that taken into account, I don't see the point for the knife-dueling approach as anything other than a very limited-scope training device. It doesn't teach you to effectively defend against someone who wants to kill you with a knife. If they did want to kill you, they'd get close, grab you, and use a sewing-machine style attack. Slicing and retreating allows for an opponent to easily run away. And that's the probably most effective knife defense there is once combat has begun.

It just isn't terribly realistic to train for a duel. One person will run. Or one will commit. Or someones friends will show up with better weapons. Etc., etc.
    I understand and agree with you. But we must agree that the smart way to fight is protecting yourself at all times (that's the first rule in our school, by the way, the second one is to cheat). If we think of fighting in a sporting way, it's fine winning by slicing a neck and getting hit in the arm. Minor injury against major injury. But I don't wanna get cut, I would prefer inflicting a minor injury and having the guy run away, leaving me intact. The important thing for me is going back home alive, not collecting scalps.

We also train for situations like those you describe: two or more unarmed against yourself armed, drawing and using the blade when someone bear hugs or use other grappling holds against you. Then there's no duel and I don't keep myself defensive like when sparring.

Thanks for your inputs :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sikaranista View Post
    Yes, exactly.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. What about keeping the knees bent? Do you go way deep or more like a boxer?
    Last edited by Whosthemaster; 5/29/2010 11:07am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast