218358 Bullies, 8213 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 11:50am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NY MMA back to the beginning

So, I got to break a news story, today, regarding the progress of MMA in the state of New York. For the more traditional news story you can check out what I wrote here. But this be my bullshido commentary.

Short version: The MMA bill was put on hiatus because MMA was also in the budget being negotiated. Today it turned out that the budget was so funked up that they just sent it back to the Assembly to vote on it. First of three rounds of voting starts next week.

Back in February when I found out we were in a budget cut year and that MMA was added to Paterson's budget proposal I was pretty sure something like this would happen. It's a needless stall but, unless anyone has done a 180 on their thoughts toward MMA this should steamroll its way to the final round of voting with the general assembly.

My sense from talking to individual offices is that an MMA sanctioning bill would pass overwhelmingly in the final round. However, Bob Reilly seems to feel that he can get the entire democratic caucus behind him to vote against it if push comes to shove.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 9:50am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FFFUUU- This better work out. Ontario next plz.

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 11:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone shown these people who are against legalizing MMA videos of MMA and how it compares to Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling, and BJJ as their separate sports which I'm guessing is legalized everywhere for competition? (Not sure about Kickboxing) Then show them what random, street fights with random people in the world that got video taped are like. That way they can see it as a more of a sport and less of just a random brawl or that it encourages violence.

Sort of commenting also on the other thread that was made about a month ago where there was a politician saying something about it encouraging violence. Unless these guys are also against boxing too and think it encourages violence too, I don't see how a convincing argument can't be made for legalizing MMA with the proper evidence shown to them.

Maybe they're just using the issue to get something out of it before legalizing it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 12:03pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis17 View Post
    Sort of commenting also on the other thread that was made about a month ago where there was a politician saying something about it encouraging violence. Unless these guys are also against boxing too and think it encourages violence too, I don't see how a convincing argument can't be made for legalizing MMA with the proper evidence shown to them.
    On a similar note, it is my firm belief that any jurisdiction which allows professional wrestling must also allow MMA. If you're going to allow bullshit which hides the consequences of violence, you should also allow real violence which illustrates the consequences of actual hand-to-hand combat (this principle does not extend to recreating professional wrestling events with actual violence).
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    On a similar note, it is my firm belief that any jurisdiction which allows professional wrestling must also allow MMA. If you're going to allow bullshit which hides the consequences of violence, you should also allow real violence which illustrates the consequences of actual hand-to-hand combat (this principle does not extend to recreating professional wrestling events with actual violence).
    I agree.

I'm curious what the UFC and other MMA groups do to convince these politicians this is just another sport.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2010 6:38pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty convinced that the issue of MMA is uncontroversial in New York State, it's just that the budget situation here is so irredeemably screwed that all legislation moves at a glacial pace.

The state has a $9.2 billion budget deficit, and because no one can agree on what to cut, we lurch from one weekly emergency spending bill to another. If this is tied up with that, then God help it.