Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 12:02pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate the advice! I'm running one day on one day off, in the mourn I'm going to run 2.5 miles, and at night I'll do the interval training suggested. I'm might be dropping BJJ and strictly going to gym.

Aodhan, really deailed post man. Do you have any tips for breathing and the technique required as I run? How should my steps go down or is there a certain posture?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 10:12am

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate the advice! I'm running one day on one day off, in the mourn I'm going to run 2.5 miles, and at night I'll do the interval training suggested. I'm might be dropping BJJ and strictly going to gym.

Aodhan, really deailed post man. Do you have any tips for breathing and the technique required as I run? How should my steps go down or is there a certain posture?
    There really is no magic trick to breathing. In and out works for me (on several levels).

Seriously, just breath as you need to. When I'm running, I generally notice that I naturally fall into a breathing in for three steps, out for three steps. YMMV depending on stride length, fitness, lung capacity, any number of factors.

As for posture, you want to be fairly straight, but not looking like someone crammed a broom up your ass. Watch your shadow if it's in front of you. If your shoulders are rocking back and forth, head is bobbing, any of those, it's bad and wasted energy. Hands should be held fairly high, arms bent more than 90 degrees and relaxed, don't clench them.

You'll hear a lot about heel striking. Heel striking is bad, but most people interpret that as it's bad to let the heel touch first. No. Heel striking means that your weight is completely on your foot when it is still out in front of your center of gravity. My heel touches first and has for years, but my foot is under my center of gravity when all my weight is on it.

If you feel a jarring when you land, you are probably overstriding or just not running very fast. Running should feel smooth. Don't worry too much about adjusting stride length unless you are completely jacked up, the vast majority of runners pick the stride length/pattern that is best for them naturally.

The big thing everyone overlooks is shoes. Get thee to a good running store (Foot locker rarely counts) and have them look at your running stride and recommend a shoe. The sneakers you wear to the gym probably aren't good for running, and trust me, the LAST thing you want is shin splints or IT band syndrome. Both suck, take you out of training for a long time and are bitch to get rid of permanently. And, depending on your weight, the structure of the shoe, etc. most running shoes are only good for 400-600 miles. During x-country, I was going through training shoes at the rate of one pair every 6-8 weeks, and probably two race pairs a season.

John

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Christ man, I kinda figured running was skill on it's own, and your post confirmed it. Running is no different than BJJ and very technical. Thanks for the information.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 2:08pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan View Post
    The big thing everyone overlooks is shoes. Get thee to a good running store (Foot locker rarely counts) and have them look at your running stride and recommend a shoe. The sneakers you wear to the gym probably aren't good for running, and trust me, the LAST thing you want is shin splints or IT band syndrome. Both suck, take you out of training for a long time and are bitch to get rid of permanently. And, depending on your weight, the structure of the shoe, etc. most running shoes are only good for 400-600 miles. During x-country, I was going through training shoes at the rate of one pair every 6-8 weeks, and probably two race pairs a season.

John
    I can't agree with this more!! SHOES SHOES SHOES!!. if you're going to wear shoes (instead of barefoot running,which has its place) get good shoes. Might seem expensive but the pain and loss of training time due to injury and just plain ole fashioned sore feet are not worth the 50$ you saved by gettin a shitty pair. I used to get massive blisters from using my gym shoes while running. MASSIVE!! blisters. It was solely my shoes. Went to a shoe clinic,they videoed me running,recommended a pair of shoes for me and WHAMMO!!! no more blisters,despite the fact i'm running longer distance.

SHOES!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2010 5:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update: I have been running 3 times a week up until Tuesday of this week. I haven't been able to reach my goals. I am now going as hard as I can, running everday, doing 60 push ups a day 5 times scattered throughout the day, 40 sits ups 5 times a day scattered throughout the day. I run 2 miles, run at a good pace but keep falling short of the 11:59 mark. I'm always about 25 - 50% done with the final lap when the clock reaches 12:00. The last week is coming up - and its grind time.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12