Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 9:41pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Am I running/training right?

Ok guys, I'm an aspiring police officer and I'm trying out for the Nashua Police Department. All the requirements are here http://www.nashuapd.com/Forms/PT-TestRequirements.pdf

I'm 5'9, 160-165lbs. I'm in the 21-29 bracket.

I can bench 170, I do 50 push-ups 5 times a day.

I can do 40 sit-ups, I can do 33 push-ups.

My main problem comes at the 1.5 miles in 11:58. How much is 1.5? Is that 1.05 or 1.50? At the moment I can run 1.25 miles in 12.00. That sets me behind by a full a lap. I'm running at a pretty brisk pace and I'm at the edge of exhaustion when I try to aim for that or faster.

So I have a couple of questions. What do you recommend I do to get ready for this test as a whole? Also, for the running portion, I have done plenty of exercise in BJJ. The one where I run around with a guy on my back, the one where a guy holds my gi, the one where I carry a guy, and there is a guy that tells me to breathe a certain way. What is the way to breathe? "breathe in through your nose, and out your mouth" - what is the strategy behind breathing? Should I breathe in deep and slow?

Then there is the footwork, and posture should I go into my squat/dead lift mode - keeping my back straight? Should I be light on my feet like I'm shadow boxing? Or should i put my weight down into each step when i run?

These are alot of questions, but know that your information doesn't fall on deaf ears, I'm working towards this and any information that can help me related to fitness is greatly appreciated.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 9:49pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.5 is the same thing as 1.50, or one and a half miles.

I suggest you run 2, or maybe 3 miles, at least every other day. Time yourself. If you choose to run 3, half of that is 1.5 miles, so half your time to keep track of your progress.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To shave time off my 1.5 time for my AFPFT, I simply run 1.5 miles 2-3 times a week, with the goal being to run a better time every single time. I look at the 1.5 mile run as an event, and train specifically to get better at the event of running 1.5 miles. Training it 2-3 times a week will get you good volume and practice over about a 6 week period. Doing this, I've been able to shave 2-3 minutes off my initial time in 6 weeks.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 10:00pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see me and you have the same styles jnp :) If the wrestlers would teach me some of their stuff I'd be able to run 6 miles and then get into a fight with 3 guys and win. Those bastards train hard.

I was thinking running two times a day - 1 mile in the mourn and 1 mile in the gym each mile timed at 10:00 minutes the most. Working myself up. 1 day on one day off. 3 sounds better though because I'll be able to explode all my energy into half of what i usually run. 3 it is then.

Emevas: I'm surprised guys who go to the military do stuff like this, I think this is just bullshit cops do, the real guys are in the military running 30 miles no? 3 times a week sounds way more relaxing - really fits my schedule.
    Last edited by shotfghter; 5/25/2010 10:05pm at .

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 3:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    definitely the best way to get better at running specifically 1.5 miles it to run 1.5 miles.

BJJ exercises will make you fit, but they won't make you a better runner. It shouldn't be too hard for someone reasonably fit to get up to that speed, 6-8 mins for aa mile is pretty average
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 3:28am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    Emevas: I'm surprised guys who go to the military do stuff like this, I think this is just bullshit cops do, the real guys are in the military running 30 miles no? 3 times a week sounds way more relaxing - really fits my schedule.
    I'm in the Air Force, so I don't know if you'd consider me the "real military", but depending on your career field, your amount of running will vary.

I need to do very little running for my job, which is conducive to my goals of increased powerlifting total and sled pulling.

I have no running background, I just apply what work for lifting with running. Specificity, low volume, and high frequency tend to promote progress.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 3:51am

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just another opinion/idea. Ex army here. We had/have the same requirement for runs,but 1.5 was supposed to be done in less than 10mins for a grade 1 pass (and that was pretty much the min for everyone irrespective of age ,unless you were one of the 15yr plus guys).

The PTI's used a few diff things to train us up for that test specifically and since i haven't seen it mentioned here.... interval training?? Specifically 400 m (1/4 mile) intervals. I believe the basic idea is to get the body used to running HARD with a good stride length and handling it. Times?? not sure i THINK it was 1:10 ish?? 1:20secs?? for 400. with about the same rest time. Rinse and repeat until MORE than the entire run distance is covered.At 30 i was running 9:30 for that distance and i considered myself a suck hole runner and i believe the interval training had alot to do with that.

just my 2c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 7:00am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll second the interval training suggestion, and add longer-distance running, too. Nothing too crazy, though... 3 or 4 miles a few days a week; and shorter, faster interval training on alternate days.

There are two components to running: leg speed and endurance. Work on both to get your times down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 9:22am

Style: Judo/Stronglifts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest training to run 1.5 miles like you're training for a race.

Repeats are a good way to improve your times. Try running half miles (800 meters on a track) with about 2 or 2 and a half minutes of rest in between each half mile. Once you get faster, reduce your rest time and don't let your heart rate go back to rest in between each half mile.

Also running fartleks (sp?) is good for middle distance races. You start off by jogging at a good pace for about 3 minutes and then run fast for 1.5 minutes, then 3 minutes rest and so on. Once you get faster reduce the time that you jog for. According to my track coach in highschool these help increase the total amount of oxygen your lungs can take in and utilize in one breath.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck on your test :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 12:00pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post

My main problem comes at the 1.5 miles in 11:58. How much is 1.5? Is that 1.05 or 1.50? At the moment I can run 1.25 miles in 12.00. That sets me behind by a full a lap. I'm running at a pretty brisk pace and I'm at the edge of exhaustion when I try to aim for that or faster.

So I have a couple of questions. What do you recommend I do to get ready for this test as a whole? Also, for the running portion, I have done plenty of exercise in BJJ. The one where I run around with a guy on my back, the one where a guy holds my gi, the one where I carry a guy, and there is a guy that tells me to breathe a certain way. What is the way to breathe? "breathe in through your nose, and out your mouth" - what is the strategy behind breathing? Should I breathe in deep and slow?
    Ok, you are really not that far off from the 11:58. That's an 8 minute mile. The way to get faster running is to run more. For a 1.5 mile, I'd suggest getting up to 8-12 miles per week, running 3-4 days per week. Intervals are going to help some, but they are mostly fine tuning, and you haven't gotten to that point.

When you run, make about 80% of your running moderate pace. If you are gasping for breath, you are running too hard. Make 1 day a week a hard run where you are pushing your pace pretty good. at 1.25 miles in 12:00 is 2:24/quarter mile, you need to be down to 1:59/quarter mile. I would bet that a solid month of regular running would get you there. If you could run a minimum of 2 miles a day 5 days a week with a longer run of 4 miles on the 6th day, that would be even better.

Intervals are good for increasing your top speed, but they can be stressful, and you should have a decent running base before you try them. As a running coach I know says "Intervals are the icing on the cake, and you ain't got a cake yet".

Just as a further FYI, there's two things that increase your speed. Intervals, or short bursts either at or faster than your 100% race pace will increase your top end speed. (Such as taking a cars top speed from 100mph to 105mph).

Threshold workouts, where you spend your entire workout at 85-95% of desired race pace increase the time you can spend AT your top speed.

But, both of them require a decent base, as they are both intensive types of training.

The other thing that will help is hill repeats. Find a hill near you that is a gradual slope, and run 1/4 mile going up it at a harder pace than general running. Turn around and jog down, using the jog as an active recovery time. Lather, rinse, repeat x 4-6 times. It would be best if it was about a mile away, you can use the mile there and the mile back as warmup/warmdown.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast