Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 9:13pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

AJJF joins US judo politics clusterflip

http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topi...roup-a-member/

i saw this on jf and thought some of you would like to comment.

from what i understand, ajjf is a primarily danzan-ryu JJ org that seeks to include judo in their club curriculum.

i dunno much about us judo politics so those more in the know, enlighten us.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 6:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topi...roup-a-member/

i saw this on jf and thought some of you would like to comment.

from what i understand, ajjf is a primarily danzan-ryu JJ org that seeks to include judo in their club curriculum.

i dunno much about us judo politics so those more in the know, enlighten us.
    USA Judo is trying to branch out and stay relevent in modern times, is what I think. It's a way to increase membership as well.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 9:35pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why wouldn't USA Judo just start a BJJ/Sambo branch which would directly benefit existing Judoka more by introducing two more complementary styles into the mix than Danzan Ryu which is "traditional"? It could even convert some BJJ guys to Judo to learn some throwing. Perhaps the USA Judo could co-op something with NAGA, just to see if a joint tournament could bring in more memberships.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 10:09pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76 View Post
    Why wouldn't USA Judo just start a BJJ/Sambo branch which would directly benefit existing Judoka more by introducing two more complementary styles into the mix than Danzan Ryu which is "traditional"? It could even convert some BJJ guys to Judo to learn some throwing. Perhaps the USA Judo could co-op something with NAGA, just to see if a joint tournament could bring in more memberships.
    USA Judo exists to promote Judo, not BJJ or Sambo. The AJJF has a Judo program, even though their primary focus is Danzan-ryu. It's also important to note that the self defense focus of Danzan is something that has been getting less and less attention in Judo in favor of competition even though a lot of people aren't really interested in competing.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 10:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76 View Post

They are doing this now. USA Judo will be sanctioning IBJJF rules sets under from what I understand would be a USA Jujitsu<<<not a fact my opinion<<<. When I get more info I will relay it. Right now I have only had one conversation with USA Judo about this and I am waiting on the more info.

IDK if this is a good thing or bad thing.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:04am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Guess View Post
    USA Judo exists to promote Judo, not BJJ or Sambo. The AJJF has a Judo program, even though their primary focus is Danzan-ryu. It's also important to note that the self defense focus of Danzan is something that has been getting less and less attention in Judo in favor of competition even though a lot of people aren't really interested in competing.
    But the USJA already has a jujitsu branch, why bring in another organization that is further removed from elite level athletics just for self-defense? Obviously there's the schism between the USJI and the USJA, but why add a group that in all likelihood can't contribute to the competitive side of Judo/jacket-wrestling?

This just seems like a complete step in the wrong direction. USA JUDO should only be involved in national and international level competition and leave the self-defense side of Judo to the auspices of the JA and JF - the "grass roots" organizations that are supposed to be growing Judo in all it's forms. Not that they will. I have never seen a flyer for a USJA self-defense/jujitsu clinic. Probably won't anytime soon, either.

I have nothing against Danzan Ryu. It sounds like it could be really cool, if one can find a good dojo. I don't know why the AJJF would want to get involved in the political mess of the USJI/JA/JF anyway. Seems like they have a pretty solid thing as is.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 7:50am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL USJA jujistsu. Before we changed to JI I got a brown belt in USJA JJ. I would kick or punch someone before I threw them for the belt test it was retarded.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I was there, at USJA headquarters for their summer camp, when the USJA Jujitsu program was created and the first manual was shot and put together...

...that is another mess I could spill the beans about.

As to this? We would have to believe that USA Judo thinks it is a good thing to create yet another class A group and certify yet another set of Judo ranks under yet ANOTHER group allowed to award rank in Judo. In as much as we know they do NOT like the Class A group system at all, and would MUCH rather there be ONE Judo group in the US, to wit them; We are forced to look elsewhere for their motive.

I suspect it will be plain before too long.....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 9:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, good point Mark, I thought the same thing when I first heard about it but didn't write that in my post.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 9:50am

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted about this a couple of months ago. You are looking at it from the wrong end. It's not dragging judo down, it's pulling the AJJF up. Or, at least, it has that potential.