Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 12:03am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Generation 4 Glock 17

Figured I'd share this one. I've been looking forward to getting one for a long time and finally got it.

So far, feels great in hand. I'll go ahead and go over the newer features of this pistol for you all.

The pistol comes with 2 extra add on backstraps for different hand sizes. The regular grip is slimmer than that of previous models and it also includes a medium size that brings the grip to the same circumference as the older gen 3s and a large size similar to that of the non sf .45 and 10mm models. You can see the size difference quite well in the second pic here.

These 2 protruding pieces of plastic help hold the newer backstraps in place. In the first picture you'll see a pin and another pin with a larger piece on it for your fingers. The backstraps hold quite securely in spite of what it may look like. They click into place and are then held in extra tight by the longer pin which is used to secure them toward the top. I haven't taken any pictures of this because even though I had no problems with the older Glock grips, I'm absolutely in love with the newer one.

In this picture you can see both the new texture and the new enlarged magazine release. The release can now be reversed for left handed shooters and is much more comfortable to actuate. The texture is somewhere between the old texture found only on the backstrap and between the finger grooves on older models and the somewhat newer RTF2 textures on the fish gill models. I think Glock got this just right.

This is a newer Glock magazine showing an indentation on both sides rather than just one. This is due to the reversible magazine catch.

Gen 4 Glocks also currently come with 3 magazines instead of only 2. This was like the icing on the cake for me. Some manufacturers, including high end companies like Kimber and SIG Sauer, have been known to include only a single magazine in the past (although I believe Kimber went back to including an extra). When a company is willing to not only add a spare magazine, but 2 of them, it shows their commitment to their customers and that they aren't CHEAP. The other piece included in the photo here is a speed loader that has come standard with all previous glock models.

Here is where we get into the guts of the pistol. The biggest change to the Gen 4 Glock is its new recoil spring/guide assembly. It uses a dual spring setup somewhat like, but not the same as, the guides used in the Sub Compact "Baby Glock" series. I was trying to get a good shot of the spring to show what sets it apart, but I couldn't quite get it (I suck with cameras) so I stuck with this. You can sort of see the metal piece under the spring.

Now I'll move on to some more aesthetic shots.

Gen 4 Glocks still have what some call the "Pig Nose" on the dust cover. It is called this because the dust cover/accessory rail sort of curls upward toward the slide in the front, resembling a pigs nose from the side. This is not considered a defect. Some pistols have it and some don't and it makes absolutely no difference in function. Most models actually have it, so if you see this on your Glock pistol no matter what Generation yours comes from do NOT worry about it.

You may also be able to make out the "Gen4" next to the 17 here, but I couldn't keep the camera still.

All Gen 4s are currently still being produced in Austria, assembled in Smyrna, GA as opposed to most Gen 3s which are now being fully manufactured in GA. Blacked out are my weapon's serial numbers which are present on the barrel, slide, and the frame.

This one sort of speaks for itself. The grip on the left side, toward the bottom, says "Patent Pending". I thought this was pretty cool as it may slightly set my pistol apart from future models.

This one stuck out to me right away. Gen 3 Glocks for a long time now have had serrations in their triggers. I've never been a fan. Even older models had a smooth trigger, just like this one. I'm happy to see Glock reverting to their older, more comfortable smooth trigger.

Lastly there's the usual stuff. A plastic case full of paperwork, 2 spent factory fired casings, a lock and key, and a cleaning brush and rod tossed in (Which I've always found to be an awesome thing to add. I always forget to buy cleaning brushes for weapons when I first buy them!).

Anyway, that's pretty much it. Just thought I'd share with everybody. I love this thing so far. Can't wait to take it out this coming weekend! I'll make an update for it's performance. So far I've noticed that the slide racks much smoother with the new recoil assembly.

As for the regular weapons specs, I might as well include them for anybody who reads this that doesn't already know a bit about Glock pistols:

Glock Model 17 Gen 4
    Caliber: 9x19mm (Luger, NATO, Parabellum...)
    Capacity: 17+1 stock, 19+1 with extended baseplate and 33 with optional extended factory magazine.
    Weight: About 24 ounces unloaded.
    Thickness: 1.18"
    Barrel Length: 4.9"
    Action: "Safe Action" Striker Fired

Feel free to ask questions! Peace.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 2:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will it accept older mags or only the new, double-indented ones? And conversely, are the new mags compatible with older Glocks?

Infidel

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 7:59am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a really great review, thank you.

I went for a WaltherP99 (9mm) instead of the Glock 17 and I'm starting to regret it. Really think I'm going to trade it in for a Glock.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 8:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GS- take a look at the Springfield XD before you lay down money on the Glock.

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 10:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    Will it accept older mags or only the new, double-indented ones? And conversely, are the new mags compatible with older Glocks?
    Older mags that have the cutaway (which you can see in the magazine picture on the front of it) will work in the newer Gen 4 models so long as you keep the reversible mag catch in the right handed position. The newer mags will also work in all older models.

Vorpal's advice is also good. I prefer the Glock to the XD personally, but whatever a specific person handles better is the way to go. I concede that the XD has a much smoother trigger, but I'd take the advantages of a Glock for my taste.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 1:13am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm. Looks like the palmswells (the handgrip adjuster thingers) were STOLEN from the S&W M&P series of pistols quite blatantly.

I don't think S&W will mind though, as the M&P was STOLEN from Glock, again quite blatantly.

P.S. you should have purchased an M&P. Sorry, but the Glock doesn't look cool enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 11:56am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    Hmmmm. Looks like the palmswells (the handgrip adjuster thingers) were STOLEN from the S&W M&P series of pistols quite blatantly.
    Which stole them from the Beretta PX4...right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 2:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    P.S. you should have purchased an M&P. Sorry, but the Glock doesn't look cool enough.
    I actually am quite impressed with the M&P, but I like weapons well suited to hard use. The M&P and XD are actually both great weapons IMO, but both have proven less effective at dealing with dirt in torture testing. The XD has failed in tests put on youtube by various people, and G&A TV tested the M&P and it failed almost as soon as dirt was introduced. Since I live in a desert, the way a weapon handles getting dirty is important when it comes time to make a purchase. I trust Glocks, SIGs, 1911s and revolvers to do the job more so than M&Ps and XDs.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/01/2010 9:54pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? That's very strange. Internally, the M&P is almost identical to a glock.

I had a full sized M&P 40 and took it through half the academy (about 2500 rounds through a brand-new pistol,) without cleaning it once. Then came the inspection, and the accusations that I was a slob and a lazy asshole, but that's a story for another time.

But, it also had a trigger job done to it, so it may not be representative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 6:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RANGE UPDATE: Sorry, I know it's later than it should be, but I wasn't able to go out and shoot it until today (Father's Day). Dad and I went out with this and a Russian Makarov I just picked up yesterday. Both performed Extremely well. The Glock 17 Gen 4 kicked less than the Makarov, probably due to the delayed recoil system and heavy slide of the Glock. Very smooth shooter, ZERO malfunctions as expected. Got tapped on the cheek with a piece of brass during rapid fire but that was it. That's 250 rounds through it so far and superb accuracy. (Didn't keep any targets like I should have, didn't think to...)