Posted On:
    8/04/2010 9:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwJ View Post
    http://hubpages.com/hub/THE-MOST-EFF...D-SELF-DEFENCE

Best article I've seen regarding martial arts. Guy seems to know what hes talking about
    Not so sure about the Silat entry or, more specifically, how he presents it.

It involves a lot of strikes rather than grabs making it easier to apply-since the area where the technique can be applied is much bigger than in grappling.
    Grappling and striking arts rely on different ranges. I don't think that it is "easier" to apply a striking technique at striking range as opposed to a grappling technique at grappling range. Also, grappling arts have techniques that attack the entire body so I'm not sure what he means by saying that grappling arts have a smaller target area.

In regards to Krav Maga:

In all my life I have never seen such an simplistic yet effective form of fighting. It is so simplistic I almost felt insulted while learning it.
    Again, it seems like the idea behind the art (simple moves) overshadows the application. Simple moves get really complicated really quickly when applying it under pressure. Distance, angles, footwork, handwork, headwork, pressure, etc.. Those fundamentals make simple moves complex.

Just another list I guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 10:36pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked the new list, but I think he could have replaced Silat with Japanese Jiu Jitsu, although the author dismissed traditional martial arts for practical application early on in the article. His pairing of singular verbs with plural nouns really got on my nerves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 7:41am

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I don't really like the inclusion of Kali and Eskrima.
    since almost everywhere a person can find some form of a stick
    Honnestly, where I go out, it's in the city and not in the woods. There really aren't that many sticks lying around. A bar stool is about the closest that comes to a stick. So unless I was playing pool at the moment, the chance of finding a stick is minimal.
    or carry a knife around, this martial art is suited for self defence on the street.
    They attack you unarmed, which still happens a lot more than knife wielding or gun wielding attackers, and you take out your knife and stab them. That's going to work out fine with the police... "But sir, they attacked me."

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 8:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aiyer View Post
    Hmm, I don't really like the inclusion of Kali and Eskrima.

Honnestly, where I go out, it's in the city and not in the woods. There really aren't that many sticks lying around. A bar stool is about the closest that comes to a stick. So unless I was playing pool at the moment, the chance of finding a stick is minimal.
    Indeed, I tested it in Leuven (the city where I live). For 60 seconds I looked especially to find a stick or another type of weapon. Repeated that test a few times: in the citypark, in a shopping street, on the townplaza...couldn't find a stick or even another 'weapon' laying around.

So if I don't walk around with a telescope baton or am playing snooker/pool, I'm not going to have a stick to twurl with.

(test was done, because I'm thinking on doing La Canne and Krabi Krabong and wanted to know what their everyday practicality was).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789