Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Tang Soo Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wavemaster XL or BOB?

I'm wanting some kind of punching bag for practicing and conditioning at home. I found some pretty good prices on both the Wavemaster XL and Century's BOB. Which is the most useful?

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"
    DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)
    Style
    Ving Tsun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither. I fucking hate those things.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A real heavy bag is best, but I'd rather have the big Wavemaster over the BOB.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would go with the heavy bag. The problem I had with my wavemaster is that it would rock back and forth or slide around on the ground when I hit it, whereas when a heavy bag is hit it swings back and forth more "gracefully" and the swinging can be incorporated in training. The rocking and the sliding of the wavemaster is just awkward and pretty loud depending on the surface you have it on. The construction of my wavemaster was also pretty shotty: it was foam wrapped around a plastic cylinder. They also can be pretty pricey and would leak occasionally.

My suggestion would be to purchase a used heavy bag. You could probably find one on craigslist for under $100.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin View Post
    Neither. I fucking hate those things.
    I second this.

P.S. Welcome to Bullshido, enjoy your stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DunkelAnanas View Post
    My suggestion would be to purchase a used heavy bag. You could probably find one on craigslist for under $100.
    You could also buy a new one from sports authority for the same price, probably less.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither. If you want a floor bag got to www.revgear.com and choose this: http://www.revgear.com/product/755/heavy_bags

Style
    Kenkojuku Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The standing heavy bag Ringside makes (it's got a heavy duty spring where the bag connects to the base) feels much much nicer to punch than Wavemasters or other stuff that only sits/tips it's base.

The downside is the bottom of the bag is closed with groomets and S-hooks which didn't stand up to the pressure of being kicked as all the groomets eventually got ripped out. But, I sealed up the bottom 25% of the bag with 100 mph tape and would still rather have it than a new wavemaster if a hanging bag just isn't an option (I rent and my walls/ceilings are paper mache).

P.S. If you do go for this one, just let it be known the thai attachment sucks and doesn't have the same good feel as the rest of the bag, it feels like you're kicking a pillow. I also think it facilitates the bag ripping because it hinders the flex of the spring a bit which should relieve stress on the bag surface area.

Style
    Tang soo do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the BOB, but I'm just a noob, what do I know? I will say that it helps me to aim full force strikes.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Neither. If you want a floor bag got to www.revgear.com and choose this: http://www.revgear.com/product/755/heavy_bags
    That is smaller than the Wavemaster XXL, and a lot lighter. Why would you recommend that over the Wavemaster?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last