• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 9:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pride. But mainly due to the ring. The cage is a cheap gimmick that stands in the way of the sport achieving true mainstream status in my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 10:36am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    PRIDE FC had some retarded rules re: this also. For example, compare Igor V's sub to strikes loss to Coleman, to his NC with Kerr. Exact same technique and target, but with the opponent rotated 180 degrees on his axis. I suspect the potential for damage is identical..
    If I remember right, the rules were different at the time of Kerr / Igor. There's some goofiness around that whole incident regarding Igor's corner's understanding of the rules revealed in the Smashing Machine too, IIRC.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 11:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Pride. But mainly due to the ring. The cage is a cheap gimmick that stands in the way of the sport achieving true mainstream status in my opinion.
    First, cages are NOT cheap. Even building one yourself from supplies bought at Home Depot will set you back quite a bit.

Second, it's not a gimmick. One of the more annoying features of Pride and other MMA events held in boxing rings is the necessity of moving the opponents back towards the center of the ring when they get tied up in the ropes or are on the verge of rolling out of the ring. Resets suck. Even if both people are being honest, you never get exactly back to the positions you were in before the reset. In a competition environment, both people will be working to gain an advantage in position on the reset.

I like Pride for the knees and kicks (not necessarily the soccer kicks) with a downed opponent. One thing I don't like about UFC/WEC is the inability to kick or knee from the guard. Seriously, if someone is in your guard and postures up to drop punches and elbows, why shouldn't you be able to kick them in the face?

I also like the 10 minute first round in Pride.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 1:27pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC is basically tailor made for boring wrestlers to dry hump their opponents up against a cage a hit them with rabbit punches for 15 minutes, just look at Jon Fitch. The rules, the cage, everything is tailor made for these guys.

In Pride fighters were yellow carded for that kind of "fighting".

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 1:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you kiddin' me? No knees to the head of a grounded opponent and no headbutts are two rules that exist solely to neuter wrestlers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 3:27pm

Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pride era Rampage seemed to use grounded knees very well combined with his wrestling. The rabbit punches and elbows in the guard is wrestlers using what's still legal.

It would be nice to have elbows AND downed knees, that way people have more options for their gnp.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxd View Post
    It would be nice to have elbows AND downed knees, that way people have more options for their gnp.
    I'll tell you what would be nice: having our sport (NHB) back.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Resets suck. Even if both people are being honest, you never get exactly back to the positions you were in before the reset.
    This is an extreme example, but it does illustrate your point very well:

YouTube- Randy Couture vs Mikhail Illoukhine

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 7:20pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Are you kiddin' me? No knees to the head of a grounded opponent and no headbutts are two rules that exist solely to neuter wrestlers.
    With no knees to a grounded opponent a wrestler can jump in from 5 meters and crawl on his fucking knees towards the other guy and if he fails the takedown it doesnt matter, theres nothing the other guy can do except punch which never really does anything if the opponent is so far down. Watch Pedro Rizzo VS Randy Couture and count how many times Pedro could have knocked Randy out with knees or soccer kicks in that fight (instead it went to a decision and he got robbed).

When wrestlers tried to shoot in on guys like Cro Cop and Igor Vovchanchin in old school Pride and failed they got to eat knees as a result of their failure. In the UFC a wrestler can shoot 15 failed takedowns and hey no worries, as long as he keeps one of his knees on the ground the other guy cant really do ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 9:08pm

Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So no knees still sucks, whether they help or hinder wrestlers?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast