Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 8:49am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetsamurai View Post
    I was in 4th or 5th grade when I saw the movie way-back-when, It rocked my world, it and other things planted the "martial" seeds in my head... but as I trained on and off and saw this movie over the years I kept on thinking how did a total noob, win a whole full contact tournament (in the black belt division?) they must have been some weak black belts, or Mr. Miagi was a great ass teacher... but hey its is what it is...
    Also, Cobra Kai had every single warning sign of a McDojo and what little live sparring was done was to boost Johnny's ego and condition him to over-the-top aggressiveness. Plus, these kids were fifteen-year old black and brown belts and the tournament clearly didn't worry much about the accreditation or even the contestants wearing the required uniform. Heck, they let Cobra Kai compete despite the fact their competitors tended to rack up five or six final warnings each per tournament.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 9:00am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Bigstu, do you have any fucking idea what you are on about? Because you clearly don't.
    The Karate Kid is a film aimed at teenagers. I was a teenager when I watched it and I enjoyed it. Enter the dragon IMO is not a film I would care to watch again.
    Now do you have any fucking ideas other than ranting??????

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 10:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was mentioned in the movie, Karate Kid, that Ralph Macchio's character had taken karate back home in New Jersey, so he might not have been a total newb, but he lacked the confidence to use it... maybe.

I laughed more watching Enter the Dragon personally, though I did enjoy Ralph Macchio getting whaled on, a lot

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 10:58am

Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This article was well thought out, and comprehensively written, and makes sense in every way. I do, however, think there is a place and a reason for no-sparring schools, assuming that they are, in fact, theaching properly in other respects. Before the counter-argument assault begins, understannd that I concede that there is no replacement for contact sparring, and that if someone expects to be able to use a technique in a fight, they, quite frankly, need to use it in a fight, at least a simulated one. Still, though, many parents do not understand this concept, and a 14 year old convincing his mother to let him into a no-contact school, as opposed to a sparring one, may be easier. The child can get a decent training base, and find a sparring school later, when they can choose for themselves. Also, some people simply do not have the confidence to begin with sparring, and attending a no-contact schol for a time could be good for them. The point stands that there is no substitute for training against a resistant opponent, and Karate Kids "you painted a fence, now go kick some ass... peacefully" approach to things is still ridiculous". But all no-contact schools are not evil.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 11:43am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
    It was mentioned in the movie, Karate Kid, that Ralph Macchio's character had taken karate back home in New Jersey, so he might not have been a total newb, but he lacked the confidence to use it... maybe.

I laughed more watching Enter the Dragon personally, though I did enjoy Ralph Macchio getting whaled on, a lot
    No, he took a few classes at the YMCA and read some books.

This actually makes this movie worse, in my opinion. A kid who had maybe 3 weeks of serious training and read a few books defeats a guy who, while a complete dillhole, has had years of hard training. How does he do it? With "The Crane Kata."

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DunkelAnanas View Post
    No, he took a few classes at the YMCA and read some books.

This actually makes this movie worse, in my opinion. A kid who had maybe 3 weeks of serious training and read a few books defeats a guy who, while a complete dillhole, has had years of hard training. How does he do it? With "The Crane Kata."
    It's no different from The Mighty Ducks - bunch of kids that can't stickhandle or skate their way out of a paper bag somehow miraculously, through a few montages of training, transform from sub D-leaguers to A leaguers and manage to beat kids that have been practicing together religiously for a long time. Even worse in Mighty Ducks II where they beat the opposing team with a ridiculously stupid slapshot called the Knuckle Puck... just as bad as Crane Kata. Worse.

I still get all heartwarmingly fuzzy (is that a medical condition?) when I watch these types of films tho
    Last edited by XXIV; 5/24/2010 12:26pm at .

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 1:24pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To make matters worse the MA guy and/or stunt coordinator, Pat Johnson, stated he could really do what Miyagi did and take virtually anyone and make them into a champion in a relatively short time.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 1:39pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by korean dragon View Post
    Recently on Cracked there was an article on how the karate kid ruined the modern world.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18544...ern-world.html

the article focuses on the idea that training hard for a little bit of time will let you overcome years of hard work and dedication. The author goes on to point out that because of this line of thinking most people have no concept of how hard things really are, and end up either quitting or taking the easy out. It's a fun article.
    That's why I actually quite liked Never Back Down as a karate kid remake. The main character wasn't some skinny scrub who had read a book on BJJ, he was a highly athletic, highly aggressive football player with decent enough fighting ability to begin with who is only tough enough to beat the big bad after several months of insanely hard training. The character Max showed what would happen if someone without those physical gifts but similar training tried to take on someone highly trained and highly athletic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 2:59pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ironic point you are all missing is twofold. One any person taking Muay Thai for a few months training intensely with a good instructor could probably hack it against your standard TKD blackbelt. (so yes a person training for hard for a few months in an art with a good instructor can hold their own if not beat a person who has trained hard for years in a more traditional art learning mainly kata- THE POINT IS THAT IT DEPENDS WHAT YOU HAVE SPENT YEARS TRAINING HARD)

Two Pat Johnson the trainer on karate kid trained both Machio and the cobra kai guys during a summer break. He reckoned that Johnny was better than or equal to several other champions he had trained. (Perhaps this one was hyperbole for the film)

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 12:07am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Greetings, time traveler from 2005!
    Spoiler 2005 man The White Socks never get good again!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast